Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2024, 07:13 PM

2020+ Ritchey Road logic Tire Clearance

Heyo,

First post here so apologies if I goof something up. I acquired a used Ritchey Road Logic (Rim Brake version) recently and was unable to find some good photos/confirmation of actual measured tire clearance with certain brake types so I took it upon myself to get a few photos and take some measurements to help folks in future searches of tire clearance for this frame using the last generation of Shimano rim brakes (R9100, R8000, R7000).

I mounted some 33mm measured tires (34c on 19mm ID rims) under some R9100 brakes and that's about as close as I'd go (about 2-3mm between the pivot and the outside of the tire laterally), the frame has enough clearance, but the brake itself is the limiting factor in the out-of-plane direction. The vertical clearance was more than adequate and if the brake bridge/fork mount was raised another 5mm there would still be enough reach on the brakes AND enough clearance to probably run a 35mm measured tire. Maybe a future effort...

Anywho, just trying to contribute!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (67.0 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg rear_mod.jpg (58.8 KB, 544 views)
Old 02-12-2024, 05:43 PM

Thanks for that info.
Ritchey has always been one I considered. I recently saw someone with 32's on there which I thought was impressive too.

I am not sure of all versions had the same tire clearance & their new Sally’s Macarons this year states room for 30's. So they were probably being conservative.

Last edited by flying; 02-12-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:45 PM

What if you break a spoke? I wouldn't run anything over 28's on that.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:52 PM
Vendor

I’m pretty sure the newest Road Logic model, Sally’s Macarons, has been redesigned to comfortably fit 30’s —as per Ritchey. Could probably go 32.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If a spoke breaks then just take the caliper off
Old 02-12-2024, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
I’m pretty sure the newest Road Logic model, Sally’s Macarons, has been redesigned to comfortably fit 30’s —as per Ritchey. Could probably go 32.
They did a redesign in 2019 I think. This is the same model version as the macaron/red color released this year. It was really the geometry of the brake caliper that I was most interested, Ritchey reports their actual spacing in the frame/fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Fair point, luckily I haven't broken any spokes in about 15,000 miles
Old 02-13-2024, 05:45 PM

This is very helpful. I am building my brand new Logic right now and contemplating the caveat in Ritchey's marketing regarding clearance for 30s... ie., "depending on tire / wheel manufacturer." Perhaps I'm pessimistic or a cynic, but whenever I see that caveat (and we all see it a lot) I presume that I would need just the RIGHT combination to make 30s work. Actually, I was planning to run Continental 5000 28s, which tend to run large. This post is giving me hope that I might actually be able to run 30s. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:58 PM

I wouldn't go beyond what Ritchey recommends and it's the actual measured width of the tire, not what it says on the sidewall. The current Ritchey Logic is 30mm. The one before it with the more svelte carbon fork was 28mm.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorkevin View Post
This is very helpful. I am building my brand new Logic right now and contemplating the caveat in Ritchey's marketing regarding clearance for 30s... ie., "depending on tire / wheel manufacturer." Perhaps I'm pessimistic or a cynic, but whenever I see that caveat (and we all see it a lot) I presume that I would need just the RIGHT combination to make 30s work. Actually, I was planning to run Continental 5000 28s, which tend to run large. This post is giving me hope that I might actually be able to run 30s. I'll keep you posted.
Hurry up and build it so we can see the bike, and the clearances!
Old 02-13-2024, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Hurry up and build it so we can see the bike, and the clearances!
Yet more data, I approve! You'd likely manage to get more clearance on SRAM or more traditional dual-pivot brake calipers (not the mini-centerpul-like brakes with r7,8,91). The limit here is the material around those pivots, not the arms or the brake bridge, chainstays/seatstays, or fork legs
Old 02-16-2024, 05:03 PM

Here's a video I came across regarding the 2024 model:

https://youtu.be/Ypji4il2bU8?si=BoLzKHeDiTKo4IJz
Old 02-16-2024, 05:37 PM

A frame with _clearance_ for actual 30mm tyres should be able to _fit_ an actual 33 or 34mm tyre.

It’s when sharp 5mm road chip gets stuck between tyre and caliper at speed and scores a 1-2mm deep groove in the tyre tread that the difference between fit and clearance becomes clear.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:54 PM

A LOT depends on rims. Today I tried mounting Vittoria Corsa 30 mm tires on DT Swiss 460 rims on my 2024 Logic. The front was fine. The back lightly rubbed against the brake caliper (DuraAce 9000). The 460s have an internal width of 18 and an external width of 23. They do not work with 30 mm tires on the Ritchey Logic. As long as I have those wheels, I'll need to live with 28s. I truly wish bike manufacturers would be more specific when they say "depending on tire and rim" when giving clearances. In this case, I wish Ritchey had simply said something like don't try to mount 30mm tires on any rim less than 25 external and 21 internal. Then the guesswork (and disappointment) is taken out of the equation.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
A LOT depends on rims. Today I tried mounting Vittoria Corsa 30 mm tires on DT Swiss 460 rims on my 2024 Logic. The front was fine. The back lightly rubbed against the brake caliper (DuraAce 9000). The 460s have an internal width of 18 and an external width of 23. They do not work with 30 mm tires on the Ritchey Logic. As long as I have those wheels, I'll need to live with 28s. I truly wish bike manufacturers would be more specific when they say "depending on tire and rim" when giving clearances. In this case, I wish Ritchey had simply said something like don't try to mount 30mm tires on any rim less than 25 external and 21 internal. Then the guesswork (and disappointment) is taken out of the equation.
I don't think you can pin this on the frame manufacturer. They explicitly give the frame and fork spacing, which is more than most other frame companies. Regardless, I'm kinda surprised 30mm (labeled?) tires on 18mm ID rims don't fit. What's the actual measurement? where does it rub?

I've got 2 sets of vittoria tires, one set of corsa 32s and one corsa n.ext 34s. The former measures out to 30.5mm on 19mm ID rims and the latter measure out to 33mm on the same ID rim. The photos on the first post are the 34 n.ext.

But I guess this was sort of the point of the post. Get some measurements, take some photos, and have others contribute what fit and what didn't
Old 02-16-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
The front was fine. The back lightly rubbed against the brake caliper (DuraAce 9000).
Is this a frame clearance or brake caliper fault?

The video referenced in post above is running HED Jet 6 wheels with a rim ID of 21

Although they are running DuraAce 9100 calipers

Last edited by flying; 02-16-2024 at 09:58 PM.