Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2024, 07:52 PM

My main takeaway from his book is that I need to add weightlifting to my routine of cycling and swimming. I just need an 8 day week.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm curious about what constitutes one's blood pressure. At the behest of my PCP, I've been tracking mine daily, usually with three successive measurements at 5 min intervals morning and afternoon. I take it while sitting at the desk working at the computer, after at least 5 minutes sitting down. It seems to me that this is +/- the lowest it might get (maybe lower when sleeping)? So when we speak about blood pressure, is it resting blood pressure, with the understanding that it's higher at other times of day?

Also - because (I think) peripheral capillaries expand during exercise, my BP is lower after a ride (not immediately but say within 1/2 hour). If I start taking BP meds, is there a chance that BP gets too low during/after exercise?

I'm using a machine that I think is measuring systolic a bit low, compared to my Doc's office measurement. So I add 7-8 to the systolic number. Over the past 5-1/2 weeks I've averaged 117/80, and if I add 7 to systolic that's 124/80.
Excellent questions that I’ve struggled with, too. I have this article bookmarked for a couple of years now that answer most but not all of my similar questions.

My takeaways are that technique is everything when measuring your blood pressure; the right equipment, the right cuff size, the right position and the right time. Too often when I’ve gone to the doctor’s office (and dentist’s office over the last few years) the intake person seems to rush through the measurement and get an inaccurate reading because they took the measurement as soon as I sat down, or they took it over a shirt, or they used too small cuff. I’ve come to slow them down and help them get it right. The worst seems to be dentist offices where they use a wrist based cuff and where I’m practically lying down in the chair. I usually open up my Health App and show them my home readings from earlier that morning as I always self-monitor on the day of a doctor visit. Also, I happen to be very sensitive to caffeine in the morning, so I make sure I have none within 4 hours of my doctors visit.

My wife, in particular, has a pretty severe case of white coat syndrome where her systolic pressure is usually 20 points high and diastolic pressure is 10 points high if measured right at the beginning of the office visit. Her BP usually returns to a normal reading when taken again near the end of the visit when she’s more relaxed.

As far as BP medicine making your BP too low after exercise, I’m thinking that The proper dosage is the key. Since you’re already on top of your BP measurements. Report your measurements after your workouts back to your doctor if they seem to be too low or you feel faint when standing up.