Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 11:18 AM

Drivetrain availability in 2021...???

Hi, all. I have a custom bike in the works right now, I've posted a couple of times for advice on the drivetrain, so thanks to everyone who's helped out so far!

This frame, I'm expecting it to be done sometime around the end of July or early August if everything goes as planned. But I fear that I've sort of missed the boat on buying drivetrain parts. Everything in the entire universe seems to be out of stock or backordered with no timetable whatsoever for its return to availability. So I'm feeling the heat a bit and think that I need to make some decisions soon!

What should I do regarding sourcing a drivetrain? Hold out hope that by this summer, the supply chain has adjusted and look to buy new drivetrain parts at that time? Or should I bail on that idea and just accept that I'm likely going to have to buy used or something?

The issue is that I can get fairly close to what I want by buying from forum members here or sourcing on eBay or whatever, but I could get EXACTLY what I want if the parts were somehow available new.

What is your take on the supply chain for bike drivetrains by late summer 2021???

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2021, 11:22 AM

What kind of bike? What kind of drivetrain?

Shimano is kind of hard.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:24 AM

My advice would be to support your LBS and ask them to put your drivetrain of choice on backorder for you.

Last I checked for a customer, some Ultegra parts have ETAs as far out as August. Best to get in line now - these parts are all pretty much pre-sold to various shops/wholesale distributors that put them on backorder, so there's rarely any actual "inventory" from which to purchase.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:29 AM

Inventory has been spotty, but from what I've seen, most parts are available somewhere at some price. There aren't many great deals, and you may need to order from multiple stores. Personally, I would wait to order, hoping things will get better by the time the frame is ready.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:39 AM

My guess is...

...if it’s potential OEM, you’re SOL.

Complete groups-especially the newest of the new from Shimano and SRAM- will likely be snapped up by deep pocketed manufacturers. Campagnolo probably not so much.

Personally, have a custom due to arrive in June. Components and wheelset for that are already in the storage closet. Were I you, I’d start now.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:19 PM

If you're not going for the highest-end, start shopping now. I'm still seeing a fair amount of traffic over on Facebook's "online swap meet" of new-take-off groups. You could snag one there and fill in the rest as needed.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:19 PM

I ordered AXS Force group and misc parts from 2 suppliers. Price was actually good AXS 1 group w shifters, rear Der, calipers and rotors for 1400. Found cassette from another (10/36). Alchemy supplying wheels, praxis crank, stem and seat post. I had saddle, handle bra leather tape, Spec Rover bars.

Should all get together by end of March.

It wasn't overly hard. Biktiresdirect have some stuff as does planet bike.

Yes, ideally supporting lbs is fine, but with their normal supply chains out, and they have orders for stuff already, I don't feel bad. Especially since getting custom frame, wheels etc from respectable builder
Old 02-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Deconditioned!

Buy now. I think scarcity with parts won't improve for a while. One in the hand is worth two....
Old 02-25-2021, 12:39 PM

My LBS is much more focused on selling e-bikes to delivery guys than dealing with my drivetrain requests. I wish it were different, but that's how they are keeping the lights on. I understand! But it means that for stuff like this I'm largely on the hook for sourcing parts myself, if I want it done right.

Sounds like the lay of the land for drivetrains is similar to the situation on bikes in general. The low-end is all gone, and you have to hit the lottery to get one. But the highest-end has been generally available throughout the crisis, with limitations.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:43 PM
Proud Grandpa

Just talked to the guy who owns Vecchio’s and he’s having issues with all 3 makers. BIG problem with sram 12s etap/hydro. Seems no LH levers. Interesting since even with 1by, you need an etap LH lever. He was told 2 LH levers he ordered..October...
Old 02-25-2021, 12:46 PM

I've been accumulating parts for my upcoming frameset. Got Dura Ace hydro shifters and brakes from HK via ebay for a great price and it took only five days to get here. But same vendor has upped the price $270. I have a DA RD backordered at Jenson. I bought XT rotors from two different vendors because neither had the other size in stock. White Industries has 3-4 week lead time so I ordered my HS and spacers already. Almost all the bits are here or ordered to arrive in time, but it's been quite an array of sources!
Old 02-25-2021, 01:20 PM

Merlin Cycles show decent stock in R7000 and R8000 right now as long as you aren't too picky about your cranks. I would start ordering right now. Lots of Campy availability too.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Buy now. I think scarcity with parts won't improve for a while. One in the hand is worth two....
Damn. Guess I shoulda kept that C12 group I sold ya...

I'm kidding........ can still piece a full group together for a decent price, just not a smoking-deal price.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Merlin Cycles show decent stock in R7000 and R8000 right now as long as you aren't too picky about your cranks. I would start ordering right now. Lots of Campy availability too.
This
Old 02-25-2021, 02:13 PM

I decided to sell my spare Force AXS 4 piece mechanical group for a little loss, because I foresaw buying hydraulic brake/shifters and the new wide RD, if I ever had to replace some wreck damaged parts. Barring that, I'm set for the new 2-3 years.

A google search brought up Force HRD HRD brake/shift levers, with calipers, or an 8-piece group for decent prices and just about any other SRAM part I'd want.

I'd grab whatever is needed now, rather than wait.

https://www.texascyclesport.com/grou...ade-kits-road/

https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-Force...d-Disc-Caliper

https://planetcyclery.com/sram-force...kaAt6pEALw_wcB