Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
He was a big fan of calling COVID the China virus on social media to the point CyclingTips' James Huang called him on it.

Unless someone has screenshots I believe it's since been deleted.

I would think it bad business to say the kind of stuff that pisses off arguably the leading product review editor in the industry. But what do I know?
If true, that would certainly qualify.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:50 PM

*the garden variety xenophobia that tends to percolate through a lot of the handbuilt community is an issue that needs addressing. yes, it's rad that you can make your own stuff. but not at the expense of others.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 02-25-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
This is a pretty serious allegation. Some people (myself included) would not want to support someone who espouses racist viewpoints. Racism is distinct from being a “garden variety” conservative, for example.

Having made such a serious allegation, and one that perhaps might affect his business, it’s incumbent on you to substantiate those claims. I don’t think terms like that should be used haphazardly.
Heisenberg doesn't fabricate unless he's knitting.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Heisenberg doesn't fabricate unless he's knitting.
i'm not that good with my paws...only crochet for me.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
*the garden variety xenophobia that tends to percolate through a lot of the handbuilt community is an issue that needs addressing. yes, it's rad that you can make your own stuff. but not at the expense of others.

Well, there you go. That’s edifying. He should step down.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:04 PM

Reason Nr. 1,000,001 why social media can trip us up. Once said, sometimes we can create, even something not deliberately malicious or a poorly worded quip, a permanent stain.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:12 PM

Looks like he had the space to walk back a dumb remark, or admit he could have been more thoughtful, but instead doubled down and gave it the old "my special brand of bad humor" and "are we taking everything so seriously" schtick before launching into a geography "lesson."
Old 02-25-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Reason Nr. 1,000,001 why social media can trip us up. Once said, sometimes we can create, even something not deliberately malicious or a poorly worded quip, a permanent stain.
I absolutely agree with this. On one hand, I think social media is akin to the Wild West. Anything goes. But there are still norms, or better yet, “laws” that govern the type of things you can say about someone in print. Being called a “racist” at least under most circumstances, is something that can have a very detrimental effect on your business and reputation. I think the term (and others like it) have been used far too liberally in describing differing viewpoints.

In this particular instance, I agree with Heisenberg. It’s a very short leap from his sentiment to anti-Asian bigotry and worse.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
With an unprecedented number of hate crimes against Asians here in the USA, "poorly worded quip(s)" are fodder for much more insidious actions. Words matter and this is coming from a dyslexic.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
With an unprecedented number of hate crimes against Asians here in the USA, "poorly worded quip(s)" are fodder for much more insidious actions. Words matter and this is coming from a dyslexic.
I chose these words on purpose. And you make my point. I don’t know his intent was hateful or malicious but it’s a horrible look given the place we’re in and regardless of intent, the toothpaste is out of the tube.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:47 PM

C'mon guys, writing the words "#thankschina" does not make one a racist. It's accepted as fact that the virus originated in China. It's accepted as fact that China initially sought to conceal it, which led to it's spread.

It is a fact that initially, Dr Jerome Adams (Surgeon General) said that masks don't work. If Don had said #thanksJerome, would you have viewed such a remark as evidence of racism against blacks too?

One can blame China for the origination of the virus without being anti-Chinese. Labeling Don as a racist and besmirching his name from the lone example offered here is about as judgmental as it gets. It strikes me as hypocritical that people advocating against racial judgement would rush to judge an individual for a comment that has its origins in fact.

"garden variety xenophobia that tends to percolate through a lot of the handbuilt community". And now we're going to judge the handbuilt community too?!?

This is a thread on NAHBS, so I'm going to lob my remark and park it, so that this thread doesn't go the way of so many others. Just hoping that we can take a step back from insulting another when we really don't know what's in their head. Insensitive? Yes. Racist? We simply don't know.

Last edited by mistermo; 02-25-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I chose these words on purpose. And you make my point. I don’t know his intent was hateful or malicious but it’s a horrible look given the place we’re in and regardless of intent, the toothpaste is out of the tube.
others have heard/seen things. it's up to them to speak up. if this were a clear one-off, i'd be more judicious in posting it. i don't know walker, i've only spoken to him once, but i've heard/seen enough through the grapevine. and yes - this kind of sentiment fuels the current wave of anti-asian hatred and violence. he just swept it under the rug, like it never happened.

we all need to realize that (for better or worse) the world is very interconnected. physical distance when it comes to the flow of ideas, technology, goods, labor, and money (though oddly, not people) has been shrunken by multiple factors in the past 20 years. to take such xenophobic stances in the name of "made here" and such is extraordinarily troubling, especially in an industry very dependent on asian engineering and manufacturing labor (even for the custom builders). custom building is cool neat and rad because of how nimble it is, how innovative it can be, and the singular vision of a small shop. not because of where the building takes place, or the ethnicity of the people are that are doing the building. i should also preface this with: EVERYONE DESERVES A LIVING WAGE.

i'm a white american guy, but many of you know i've spent time working for a custom builder from a "developing country". the xenophobic and racist vibes were always present when i tried to promote the brand here, and this kind of crap touches a nerve. that said, i'm trying to build things in the most expensive state in the country, because of why i iterated above. mad science ftw.

ymmv. but i'm never going to nahbs again.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 02-25-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
C'mon guys, writing the words "#thankschina" does not make one a racist. It's accepted as fact that the virus originated in China. It's accepted as fact that China initially sought to conceal it, which led to it's spread.

It is a fact that initially, Dr Jerome Adams (Surgeon General) said that masks don't work. If Don had said #thanksJerome, would you have viewed such a remark as evidence of racism against blacks too?

One can blame China for the origination of the virus without being anti-Chinese. Labeling Don as a racist and besmirching his name from the lone example offered here is about as judgmental as it gets. It strikes me as hypocritical that people advocating against racial judgement would rush to judge an individual for a comment that has its origins in fact.

This is a thread on NAHBS, so I'm going to lob my remark and park it, so that this thread doesn't go the way of so many others. Just hoping that we can take a step back from insulting another when we really don't know what's in their head. Insensitive? Yes. Racist? We simply don't know.

This is wrong...
- China did not originate the virus, at least there is no evidence of this. In other words, saying that China originated the virus is not the same as saying the virus originated in China.
And one should not blame China because the virus originated there. Now there were things at the beginning that were not transparently handled, but that situation happened here as well.

-also, regarding the NAHBS’s fellow remarks, the second exchange makes it clear in my POW that there are xenophobic issues here.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnny View Post
This is wrong...
- China did not originate the virus, at least there is no evidence of this. In other words, saying that China originated the virus is not the same as saying the virus originated in China.
And one should not blame China because the virus originated there. Now there were things at the beginning that were not transparently handled, but that situation happened here as well.

-also, regarding the NAHBS’s fellow remarks, the second exchange makes it clear in my POW that there are xenophobic issues here.

Should be POV not POW,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-25-2021, 04:47 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post

"garden variety xenophobia that tends to percolate through a lot of the handbuilt community". And now we're going to judge the handbuilt community too?!?

Debating whether the virus originated or initially propagated in China is not the issue. The issue is that this "lone example" is amplified through a social media megaphone to people who cannot or will not make the distinction of "[blaming] China for the origination of the virus without being anti-Chinese."

So Don fired off #thankschina and POTUS fires off "the china virus" and guess what? now I am getting hassled walking through the parking lot at Costco and every grocery store I go to. People see me and walk far away since they figure that I must have the virus. That's right, during the early months of the virus I am getting profiled because of remarks like this.

Don's post and subsequent remarks show he is completely ignorant of the ramifications of his "sense of humor". Is he racist? Idk. He does appear to be ignorant and closed minded.
Closed Thread