Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2021, 08:38 AM

SRAM is dropping PowerTap

Can't say I'm surprised.
Hope I get a few more years out of my hub.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...3#.YCqHHjKSmUm
Old 02-15-2021, 08:41 AM

Aquire them in 2019 and execute them in 2021 . . . . .
Old 02-15-2021, 09:19 AM

I doubt it.

SRAM is getting rid of the PowerTap brand and the hub-based PM. I don’t see SRAM jettisoning the pedals. While the Powertap P2 is discontinued, I bet that SRAM releases an updated pedal branded as a Quarg.

Getting rid of the hubs is a good idea. With modular crank-based and pedal-based power meters, I imagine there isn’t much of a market for hub-based power meters any longer. Hubs are dated, albeit reliable, technology. If you want one power meter to switch between bikes, there are other options. And the technology is getting inexpensive enough that you can outfit multiple bikes with power meters so you don’t have to swap.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 AM
aka RAEKWON

The powertaps are very reliable and cheap. Still a great way to get a PM. However their disc hubs were not known to be great and we are moving to disc so....

I think pedals are the best power system right now. Easy to swap btw bikes, you get dual readings if you want and price on pedals is great. My assioma have been fantastic, very impressed with them. Only thing about them is the pedal system used, if you have many bikes and don't really want to have PMs on all you have to buy into that pedals sytem (which to be honest is excellent, I changed to the assiomas from shimanos and they feel pretty similar to me, power taps however were not great imo).
Old 02-15-2021, 09:47 AM

It is always interesting to see a brand buy another, then just dissolve them away. Although I'm sure that SRAM has gained the IP and whatever patents that PowerTap may have had. Both PT and Quarq are great products, and it's good to see that they're stating upfront that they'll continue to support the PT customer going forward.

Here's to hoping that SRAM/Quarq makes a Shimano SPD-SL compatible power meter pedal seeing as Shimano doesn't seem interested...
(Totally joking with the above wishful thinking)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:03 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
It is always interesting to see a brand buy another, then just dissolve them away. Although I'm sure that SRAM has gained the IP and whatever patents that PowerTap may have had. Both PT and Quarq are great products, and it's good to see that they're stating upfront that they'll continue to support the PT customer going forward.

Here's to hoping that SRAM/Quarq makes a Shimano SPD-SL compatible power meter pedal seeing as Shimano doesn't seem interested...
not gonna happen but seriously, the system from assioma is great, I don't miss my SPD-SL one bit. They feel and look very similar.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:32 AM

So interesting to see PT first to market and corner it for so long just to get swallowed by the field by not keeping up.

No surprised to see that line mothballed going forward. The hubs worked great and were reliable but limited your wheel choices if you want to race and train with one. A crank or pedal based system is a more compatible option. Plus with the likes of Stages making options for sub $300 new (yes single sided but still a reasonable training tool for entry level users) a PT is a hard sell in todays market.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:12 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

More here:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=265044

re pedals the Assioma are great and the iSSi III pedals make a mighty fine swap for SPD use ; ) Greatly preferred over the xpedo spd options.
Prepped for a client, not for off road use but excellent for gravel or road.

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 02-15-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Well look what we have here.... Shimano might not have pulled through for me, but it looks like Favero have....

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/02/leak...r-meter-pedal/
Old 02-25-2021, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Well look what we have here.... Shimano might not have pulled through for me, but it looks like Favero have....

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/02/leak...r-meter-pedal/
This is the most excited I’ve been about anything to do with new cycling products for a hot minute
Old 02-25-2021, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
More here:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=265044

re pedals the Assioma are great and the iSSi III pedals make a mighty fine swap for SPD use ; ) Greatly preferred over the xpedo spd options.
Prepped for a client, not for off road use but excellent for gravel or road.

Is there any good reason they wouldn't work for XC?
Old 02-25-2021, 09:36 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
Is there any good reason they wouldn't work for XC?
They will work but there are three caveats:
The pod is at risk of strikes. It protrudes a bit beyond the end of the crank arm. If you don't have an issue with rocks or logs and potential pedal strikes that could hit that inner area...they are awesome. Take a look at the end of your crank arms to see what kind of "impact history" they show.

With crank boots on you'll definitely need to use some of the supplied spacers so the pod doesn't make contact with those.

Shoe clearance is the other item to keep in mind. Some shoes need to have some of the inner area of the sole trimmed away to avoid shoe contact with the pod. Also check it for clearance on release.

Re the new Shimano compatible spindle, I'll be interested to see if they'll work with an XT pedal body. Won't take care of the issues outlined above but will offer other options.

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 02-25-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
They will work but there are three caveats:
The pod is at risk of strikes. It protrudes a bit beyond the end of the crank arm. If you don't have an issue with rocks or logs and potential pedal strikes that could hit that inner area...they are awesome. Take a look at the end of your crank arms to see what kind of "impact history" they show.

With crank boots on you'll definitely need to use some of the supplied spacers so the pod doesn't make contact with those.

Shoe clearance is the other item to keep in mind. Some shoes need to have some of the inner area of the sole trimmed away to avoid shoe contact with the pod. Also check it for clearance on release.

Re the new Shimano compatible spindle, I'll be interested to see if they'll work with an XT pedal body. Won't take care of the issues outlined above but will offer other options.
Thanks, that all makes sense. I wonder how they will package the electronics if they come out with an off-road specific version in the future. I would imagine they would try to find a way to increase clearance and minimize vulnerability in a crash or rock strike. This would be a fantastic solution to power meter on a cross country race bike.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:09 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Thanks, that all makes sense. I wonder how they will package the electronics if they come out with an off-road specific version in the future. I would imagine they would try to find a way to increase clearance and minimize vulnerability in a crash or rock strike. This would be a fantastic solution to power meter on a cross country race bike.
I'm hopeful that day for Favero comes this year. The SRM X-Power pedals work well but are so hard to get. They've had small qtys of single-side units available on the US site three times now. Hopefully they'll have the left side upgrade for single side owners available soon. Need to be charged more often than the Favero but it's not a deal breaker.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah if you go into GPLama's step by step conversion you can see how the pod between the body and crankarms can come into contact with both the ground and the tread of MTB shoes.

https://gplama.com/2019/12/11/favero...-gravel-power/

The latest picture of the SPD spindle looks like they might have shrunken down the main point of interference which is the plastic piece below the larger donut-shaped Pod.