Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2021, 09:07 AM

You can get a VPN for something like $10 a year, so don't let the VPN part be a deterrent for signing up.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:02 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

GCN RacePass has been great. Concur with needed a JPow mute feature. So many words, so little said. It's the only negative to GCN. Their lineup for 2021 is so strong that I'll likely drop Flo.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:14 PM

Sorry to be Mr Twenty-Questions!

For those who have GCN, can you summarize what "Live & On Demand | Highlights" includes. Can't quite get my head around what Live Highlights would be so guess this means you can see the whole thing live + they offer a clips show on demand afterwards (and maybe not the whole thing on demand)?

The recent Tour de La Provence is described this way.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Sorry to be Mr Twenty-Questions!

For those who have GCN, can you summarize what "Live & On Demand | Highlights" includes. Can't quite get my head around what Live Highlights would be so guess this means you can see the whole thing live + they offer a clips show on demand afterwards (and maybe not the whole thing on demand)?

The recent Tour de La Provence is described this way.
Live is as you say - live. It seems to be about the last 3 hours of the tour de provence stages. This is my first usage so I don't know if that is typical.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:20 PM

GCN is the same feed as Eurosport for many races, with the same cast of commentators. My only complaint so far has been that the app crashes every hour or so.

You get live coverage, and soon after that ends, you can access a replay. Some races are not available in the US, which is why God made VPNs.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:23 AM

I have to say, I have been really impressed with GCN+ since subscribing for a mere $25. It has been incredibly easy to watch race highlights since the season got under way. Arguably my favourite thing is the choice of a full length replay, ~25 minute highlights or ~5 minute highlights. The longer ones are Eurosport commentary and the short one is GCN commentary.

I think there was some discussion over only being able to view racing in-app earlier in the thread. I thought that was the case as well, but found that you can also access all GCN+ content here: https://racepass.globalcyclingnetwork.com/home

After I left the UK, I really missed the ease of watching racing on Eurosport but this has saved the day. There's also some good non-racing content, such as an hour long documentary on Columbus. Big thumbs up and thoroughly worth the price, even the full price of $50 is more than fair.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:19 AM

I have mixed feelings about GCN but do watch most of their YouTube stuff so I went for the half price Plus offering. I was really impressed with Mark Beaumont’s around the world in 80 days video. That guy is a beast! Over 200 miles every day for nearly 80 days! Makes me feel like a total wimp.

Tim
Old 02-26-2021, 11:53 AM

Looking into GCN+, it appears it is accessed through either an Apple or Google App. I don't have any Apple devices, nor a Smart TV, so what would my options be to watch it on a big screen? (Devices I currently have include a Roku, an Android tablet, and an Amazon Fire Stick.)
Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM

There is an android app now just announced today.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewiser View Post
There is an android app now just announced today.
Yes, that's what I was referring to above when I wrote "Google App" (Android is after all part of the Google ecosystem). But how do I use that to watch GCN+ on a large screen (non-Smart) TV?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:54 PM

In America.. it says TDF (is highlights) I was expecting live +highs.. hope I read that wrong. I'll be going Eurosport's if that's the case
Old 02-26-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
In America.. it says TDF (is highlights) I was expecting live +highs.. hope I read that wrong. I'll be going Eurosport's if that's the case
NBC Sports owns the US broadcast rights to the TdF through 2023 (including live streaming rights). NBC Sports has already announced that it is shutting down at the end of 2021, and the current NBC Sports Cycling Pass period ends in May of this year, so its not clear what platform NBC Sports will use to stream the TdF this year (or the coming years). Perhaps streaming will move to NBC's Peacock platform, like the streaming coverage of their previous NBC Sports Snow Pass has.

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/r...er-after-2021/
Old 02-26-2021, 01:17 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Yes, that's what I was referring to above when I wrote "Google App" (Android is after all part of the Google ecosystem). But how do I use that to watch GCN+ on a large screen (non-Smart) TV?
Does your tablet have the ability to cast the screen? If so you should be able to cast to the Roku. Or if the tablet is Slimport compatible then a simple cable will do the trick.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:20 PM
il Curmudgeoni

OK, so this half price makes it tempting.....if I can get the feed from other countries, since the US feed sucks for women's races and those are all that I'm interested in watching.

I gather from some posts that it is possible to do this with a VPN (which I have). Am I correct that I can watch the UK feed that way?
Old 02-26-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Does your tablet have the ability to cast the screen? If so you should be able to cast to the Roku.
I don't think it works that way. When I cast to Roku, it connects to a specific application on Roku. When I cast YouTube from the tablet, it starts the YouTube app on the Roku. When I cast Netflix from the tablet, it starts the Netflix app on the Roku. If the YouTube or Netflix apps are not presnt on the Roku, I can't cast YouTube or Netflex from the tablet to the Roku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Or if the tablet is Slimport compatible then a simple cable will do the trick.
I wasn't aware of SlimPort, but after checking the SlimPort web site, it appears my tablet is compatible, so I'll look into this solution.

Looking around a bit, it looks like a Chromecast might be another option to cast from a tablet to TV - anyone have experience with GCN+ with a Chromecast?