Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 11:22 AM

One more reason not to shop on Amazon. Truly terrible company for so, so many reasons. Bezos is scum.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Hard to believe anyone would find it worthwhile to knock off something as cheap as plastic cleats.

Tim
It just doesn’t make sense as a matter of pure economics. I can’t imagine that there’s much financial incentive for an entity to counterfeit Shimano replacement cleats. The costs of molds alone probably would be prohibitively expensive, and I don’t imagine that there would be much of a return on the investment. I think it much more likely that that the colors faded over time, or that there were differences in the raw materials used (maybe different suppliers) that resulted in color changes. The cleats in the picture look pretty worn, and I could also see the colors fading from use and exposure to elements.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:03 PM

This is disappointing!

I'm somewhat OK with 'knock-off' Shimano SPD-SL cleats as long as they have no Shimano markings and they are advertised as "SPD-SL compatible" cleats similar to how Look's Delta and Keo cleats became ubiquitous from many makers. Then the buyer knows they are buying a non-Shimano product and can gauge the quality vs. price math. Plus, the cleat maker will put more effort into making a good product because it has to stand on its own merit.

But when you stamp Shimano on a non-Shimano product that's just straight up criminal and you're using the name to sell the product, not the quality, so it becomes a safety issue too. I'd hate for my cleats to pull out or snap in half during a spirited group ride
Old 07-21-2020, 12:51 PM
aka RAEKWON

I disagree about knocking off these cleats being stupid and not worth it. Its pretty easy to knock these off, obviously the quality is poor but many people will install em and use em for a while and never know. Sure they profit is small because its not an expensive item but its also an easy item to copy and easy to get away with.

As far as amazon goes, terrible company. I have stoped buying a lot of stuff there. I say I am about 90% down in amazon purchases in the past few years. I rather buy stuff from bike tires direct, amongst others.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:45 AM

Bumping this thread from earlier in the summer instead of asking my trivial question in a new thread (we should have a dumb simple questions thread!).

I bought an eBay auction for the Look Keo pedals and the seller threw in a pair of cleats along with it. He says they're pretty old, but thinks they are probably genuine.

Pics:
https://imgur.com/a/lCu07LS

I compared some of the measurements this fella did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-4LDS8PS3w
And they measure the same, though I only have a basic tape measure.

That said, the font is ever so slightly thinner, it doesnt have the plastic piece in the middle of the cleat (though it could've just gone missing?) and the plastic grip bits on the back look messier on the unknown ones.

What do you all think? Older and some manufacturer variation, or fakes?
Old 11-10-2020, 07:56 AM

I have not figured out the parameters, but it also seems like Amazon will randomly change 'preferred seller' on a particular item--and then the reviews appear to transfer?

I've noticed this with non-branded things like small halogen bulbs--a spate of good reviews, followed by a whole set of awful reviews, then more good reviews because the seller has changed. Sometimes if you go back to your own order and click 'Order again'--you will see that the seller has changed.

As far as liability for counterfeits, Amazon has claimed that it bears no responsibility for third party sellers using its platform--in the same way that eBay does, and they will act only when brand owners bring it to their attention that they will act. (In fact, I think eBay has been more proactive--if only because they had the problems first). A recent California court case suggests that their dodging of liability may be over:
https://qz.com/1892289/what-it-means...d-party-sales/
Old 11-10-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
NOPE Amazon explicitly takes no responsibility for "marketplace" sales. NEVER buy anything that plugs in the wall, plenty of fake stuff there. HUGE issue in tech, literally enabling counterfeiters. Yes they will refund (just like Ebay/Paypal) but those guys sign back up under another name "tomorrow"..
There's a few different ways things are sold on Amazon.
You have:
1. Ships from and Sold by: Amazon
2. Ships from Amazon; Sold by: XYZ Co
3. Ships from XYZ; Sold by XYZ (eg. Competitive Cyclist sells on Amazon)

In addition, sometimes the "Prime" items in #2 also have "Free Returns" and sometimes not. I'm not exactly clear on what a "marketplace" sale is in the above context.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:41 AM

Marketplace is their term for enabling 3rd party sales, those "feel good" commercials about keeping small business going. #2 and #3 of your examples.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Marketplace is their term for enabling 3rd party sales, those "feel good" commercials about keeping small business going. #2 and #3 of your examples.
Ok, so who's guaranteeing the Free Returns (for any reason) available with many of these "marketplace" sales then? You indicated that Amazon makes clear that they have "no responsibility" for any of these sales.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropean View Post
Bumping this thread from earlier in the summer instead of asking my trivial question in a new thread (we should have a dumb simple questions thread!).

I bought an eBay auction for the Look Keo pedals and the seller threw in a pair of cleats along with it. He says they're pretty old, but thinks they are probably genuine.

Pics:
https://imgur.com/a/lCu07LS

I compared some of the measurements this fella did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-4LDS8PS3w
And they measure the same, though I only have a basic tape measure.

That said, the font is ever so slightly thinner, it doesnt have the plastic piece in the middle of the cleat (though it could've just gone missing?) and the plastic grip bits on the back look messier on the unknown ones.

What do you all think? Older and some manufacturer variation, or fakes?
those look real to me
Old 11-10-2020, 11:33 AM

Amazon doesn't give a flying **** about fake bike parts. Just buy them from a reputable source next time.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:43 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
There's a few different ways things are sold on Amazon.
You have:
1. Ships from and Sold by: Amazon
2. Ships from Amazon; Sold by: XYZ Co
3. Ships from XYZ; Sold by XYZ (eg. Competitive Cyclist sells on Amazon)

In addition, sometimes the "Prime" items in #2 also have "Free Returns" and sometimes not. I'm not exactly clear on what a "marketplace" sale is in the above context.
In addition, look closely at the return policy.

- no returns
- return with restocking fee (plus, you pay shipping)
- return (you can return it, but you pay shipping)
- free return (no charge for return shipping)

lately, some amazon items are returned 'free" if you go to the drop-off at Kohl's (not convenient) or lately, the drop-off at Whole Foods (more convenient). Previously returns were dropped off at UPS Store. Not sure how the return depot location is decided.

If I cannot buy " Ships from and Sold by: Amazon" I will buy from an alternative trusted selling site or from the mfg directly. It is just too much hassle to buy from xyz/fulfilled by amazon in the experiences I have had with that channel.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Ok, so who's guaranteeing the Free Returns (for any reason) available with many of these "marketplace" sales then? You indicated that Amazon makes clear that they have "no responsibility" for any of these sales.
Not sure your question, I have no dog in the fight. counterfeit products from 3rd parties aren't guaranteed to be genuine was my point and electrical stuff (ipod accessories etc) are the worst offenders. If returns are offered then Amazon "takes them back" which means they usually dump them, cheaper than paperwork/restocking and assessing condition- which has been well established https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marke...urns-1.5753714
Old 11-10-2020, 07:37 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Not sure your question, I have no dog in the fight. counterfeit products from 3rd parties aren't guaranteed to be genuine was my point and electrical stuff (ipod accessories etc) are the worst offenders. If returns are offered then Amazon "takes them back" which means they usually dump them, cheaper than paperwork/restocking and assessing condition- which has been well established https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marke...urns-1.5753714
here's the joke, even buying the ipod/apple accessories in china at one of the multi-floor indoor markets is a dice roll (Beijing). my wife would go 2-4x a year and found a place that would take returns. even so, for lightning cables we would buy twice the amount we needed to account for DOA or short lifespan. NBD when its cost $1 for a cable not $20 at the AAPL store. But that's the point...I won't buy those cables, adapters or hubs on amazon unless made by a known entity like Anker, RAVPower, VAV etc...
Old 11-11-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
those look real to me
Thank you!