Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
How did you decide which width of the Pro saddle to choose. I generally use the narrow arione and have considered this saddle a number of times but never tried it. The flat firm feel is my jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I recall the Shimano comes in a 142 and a 152 and the 152 just seemed too wide....but....I'd been using narrower saddles without the desired results so I decided I'd never know for sure unless I tried it. So I got the 152 and love it.

It was a real surprise. I was sure it was too wide but it just wasn't.

dave
Old 03-24-2020, 07:49 AM

How did you cope with setback...find the widest portion of saddle and set that the same on that vs a "regular" length saddle?
I've been on prologo scratches for a long time, those were definitely a revelation for me and I intended to proceed with them until I cant buy em. Some of these new fangled saddles are quite interesting though.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
How did you cope with setback...find the widest portion of saddle and set that the same on that vs a "regular" length saddle?
I've been on prologo scratches for a long time, those were definitely a revelation for me and I intended to proceed with them until I cant buy em. Some of these new fangled saddles are quite interesting though.
The "setback" number is only valid when comparing identical saddles of course so changing brand/model will force you to start over figuring it out.

I set up a new saddle in the middle of the adjustment range and then ride it back and forth on the street in front of the house....making sure I'm wearing cycling shorts and shoes.

I then move it forward 13 mm and repeat and make note of how it feels. I then move it back 13 mm and see how it compares. We are all too good at adapting to things so the first impressions are important. After going forward and back a lot I'll know which general direction is right. I then move the saddle in that direction a smaller amount....say about 7 mm and test that and this will narrow things down quickly. Finally I go for a 'real' ride with tools and fine tune things as necessary after spending longer periods of time on the new saddle. This process works very well for me.

dave
Old 03-24-2020, 09:17 AM
Vendor

I'm going to chime in re: this saddle, because if you search it out, I had posted in the past that I loved this saddle. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...8&postcount=25

Long term review is not so positive. I actually found that the super wide nose of the saddle started causing me hip issues - in that it, I guess, was to wide for my natural range of motion and I would get hip pain after long, intense rides.

I know it sounds crazy, and I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it was actually like it was forcing my hips apart farther than natural - almost like how changes in q-factor can bother some people's knees.

I am 100% certain it was this saddle because I'd never had the problem prior, I noticed the extra width while riding, but didn't think much of it, and then started with pain after about 4-6 months with it. Stopped using it and everything is back to normal.

So, keep that in mind. Otherwise I almost totally loved it.... it did start squeeking now and again but that was a lesser issue.

Last edited by rain dogs; 03-24-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:58 AM

Ordered one. I let you know if your anatomical universe extends down here to Vegas.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
I too am on the Scratch and bought enough of them that if I never found better I'd be ok. I stopped believing years ago all these guys who claimed their saddle fit like a soft couch. I've tried a lot of them and never found a Lazy Boy. If after 100 miles my nether parts aren't whimpering, I'm happy. All that said, guess I have not entirely quit the search for the Grail.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:15 AM

Thanks for review Dave. I was considering the Stealth for my next saddle. I too have been using a Fizik for about a decade, and have wondered if something else would work better for me.
Your 2 cents appreciated.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM

By now almost everyone is waiting for the four pictures of your butt!

Kidding actually, but wondering what kind of shorts/pad works well with that saddle shape?

As far as setup, perhaps the most common problem I encounter while helping riders achieve fit would be that the saddle was (too) low enough to have the rider slipping past the rear edge of the saddle, and which had then been "corrected" by sliding the saddle rearward. A shorter stem then sometimes is used to "correct" that...

As David Kirk mentioned, the fore-aft positioning can't reliably be transferred from one model of saddle to another, but one can get well into the ballpark with height as a fixed starting point measuring up from the bb center to saddle-top center. I imagine however that saddles having cutouts could complicate this and perhaps end up a little low(?).

Last edited by dddd; 03-24-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
As I recall the Shimano comes in a 142 and a 152 and the 152 just seemed too wide....but....I'd been using narrower saddles without the desired results so I decided I'd never know for sure unless I tried it. So I got the 152 and love it.

It was a real surprise. I was sure it was too wide but it just wasn't.

dave

Thanks, Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2020, 12:17 PM

Seems to be a general trend of going to wider saddles. Not sure what has happened to push that. Personally, I've switched to the wider Prologo Scratch Pro 143mm saddles and Fizik Arione R3 Large 142mm saddles from their narrower versions, with good results.

Every saddle I've tried with a channel I've disliked, so have stayed away from cutout saddles entirely. I'll keep this one in mind if I get to hankering for something different. Thanks for the review.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Seems to be a general trend of going to wider saddles. Not sure what has happened to push that. Personally, I've switched to the wider Prologo Scratch Pro 143mm saddles and Fizik Arione R3 Large 142mm saddles from their narrower versions, with good results.

Every saddle I've tried with a channel I've disliked, so have stayed away from cutout saddles entirely. I'll keep this one in mind if I get to hankering for something different. Thanks for the review.
I was the same way with saddles with cut outs....they always felt odd and I could feel the edges of the cut out and it didn't feel good.

For some reason this Shimano saddle cut out is invisible to my privates. I just don't feel it but at the same time I can rotate far forward in comfort.

I can't prove it but I suspect that the difference is that the wider saddle fully and properly supports the sit bones so there is very little pressure on the soft tissue...and no pressure means I can feel the edges of the cut out.....maybe?

dave
Old 03-24-2020, 02:00 PM

I've ridden pretty much on nothing but Flites since I got my first one back in 1992/93. I always thought I "needed" a narrow saddle, and cutouts just never felt right to me.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a LBS and got a fitting, looking for data to give to Chris Bishop for an upcoming build. On his fit machine/size cycle the saddle was short, wide and had a cut out. I'm not sure of the make and model, but it was like an epiphany. I never really knew I had an issue until I sat on this new saddle. I felt more supported on my sit bones and less pressure on my soft tissue that at any time in the last 25+ years.

I've since been looking hard at all the short/wide/cut out saddles on the market. Pro Stealth.....Specialized Power...Prologo Dimension....Bontrager Aeolus.

I'm looking for 150 +/- width and <250 length.

I like the Stealth but fear that the wide nose might bother my thighs.

I think I'm going to get a Prologo Dimension Space in 153 width and 245 length.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:14 PM

What is the design reasoning behind (so to speak) the long tapered tail on this saddle, and others that look like it?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:27 PM

Interesting that you start over each time but makes sense . I've read your post on setback with respect to balance etc. I too have found that once I'm ballpark an on the road tilt setback or saddle height adjustment by a mm or quarter turn of an Allen key can make a big difference in terms of pedaling smoothness and comfort . Then again there will always be those who can ride anything (my cat1 pal) and the princess and the pea types (me) . For sure when it's right it's right though.

Dave we always appreciate your insights as a builder /engineer and rider , thanks for the review!
Old 03-24-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
What is the design reasoning behind (so to speak) the long tapered tail on this saddle, and others that look like it?
You can slide back for more leverage on uphill-in-the-saddle effort, and back to grip it with your thighs for more control on downhill sections.