Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
With all of the custom builder horror stories we have heard over the years, you'd have to be crazy to order from someone who can't communicate properly., especially before the get their deposit.
Makes you wonder...

But, Kelly has been a bike builder for a very long time. He actually designed my Ottrott in 2007. I hope this is a short term deal and everything is ok with him....
Old 02-26-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I know this will come as a surprise to most here, but not everyone checks the forum 18 times a day...
I stopped trying to contact him through this site. Gmail account and texting to his cellphone.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:25 AM

Time to move on and give the guys at 22 a call.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Time to move on and give the guys at 22 a call.
I have a No22 bike. I am looking for the modern disc bike to replace my Ottrott. Kelly’s version check all the boxes.

Oh, btw, his site is back up.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I’m interested in replacing my Ottrott ( now sold ) with a ti-carbon disc bike and the version he makes checks off all the boxes on my list of wants.
You might consider contacting forum sponsor Elite Velo. Bertoletti makes the kind of model you're looking for: https://www.elitevelosolutions.com/collection.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:53 AM
PezTech

Hit up Kelly on Facebook
Old 02-26-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
Hit up Kelly on Facebook
If email and texting is not getting a response, why would you think Facebook would be any better?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Makes you wonder...

But, Kelly has been a bike builder for a very long time. He actually designed my Ottrott in 2007. I hope this is a short term deal and everything is ok with him....
i get that, but realistically, i'm not giving my money and getting my hopes up to a builder who i am not confident has their current act together.

that said, maybe try contacting cyclesport in park ridge NJ. they have worked with KB in the past, and may at least know his current status.

I hope all is well with him. these days, you never know what someone or their family may be going through.

regardless, unless someone is literally on their death bed, which again, i certainly hope he is not. i think a small business owner owes it to his clients, past, present and future, to at least let them know the current status of operations. that could be as simple as a sentence or two on the front of their website.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:08 PM

KBedford

The website is back up - http://kbedfordcustoms.com/
Technical glitch with the provider.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I know this will come as a surprise to most here, but not everyone checks the forum 18 times a day...
What do you mean "check the forum?"

Do you *leave* the forum?

Not much else to do out there on the Internet, except watch videos of puppies and unicorns.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-26-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
i think a small business owner owes it to his clients, past, present and future, to at least let them know the current status of operations. that could be as simple as a sentence or two on the front of their website.
I've engaged two custom builders, Monty Young, who was far enough along in his career that he didn't have to do his own marketing. (This was in '81, a few years before Tim Berners-Lee came up with his very excellent idea.)

And Toby Stanton, who was far enough along in his career that he had an excellent, workable website.

Keep in mind that most (all?) low volume frame builders are craftspeople rather than business people. They do it out of love for the building, and the ancillary activities of running a business don't get as much attention.

Not saying this is right or wrong...it just is. Order a frame, wait a number of months, ride something else and be happy.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-26-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I've engaged two custom builders, Monty Young, who was far enough along in his career that he didn't have to do his own marketing. (This was in '81, a few years before Tim Berners-Lee came up with his very excellent idea.)

And Toby Stanton, who was far enough along in his career that he had an excellent, workable website.

Keep in mind that most (all?) low volume frame builders are craftspeople rather than business people. They do it out of love for the building, and the ancillary activities of running a business don't get as much attention.

Not saying this is right or wrong...it just is. Order a frame, wait a number of months, ride something else and be happy.
Great thought! How can I order a frame when all I hear are crickets?...
Old 02-26-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
move on to your next choice
Old 02-26-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Put a check in the mail, draw out your geometry requirements and lug cutout preferences in crayon on a napkin, send them along, and just wait...

No, seriously, there's lack of attention and LACK of attention.

There's a reason you wanted Kelly to build a frame for you. Give him a week or two to respond. If you don't hear back, move on to your next choice. Or move on now, whichever *you* feel is the best option for you. You'll live with this bike for a long time; best to start off with good feelings about the experience....
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-26-2021, 04:07 PM

Since my Running is in the dumper this year due to a bad knee, I'm looking to get my first high end road bike at almost 68 years old. I've been riding a 2001 Litespeed Classic for the last 20 years and it's no longer fun. So I'm planning on a Ti road disc. Torn between the LBS on the Moots Vamoots RD and a Brad Bingham custom.

Just as an initial inquiry I sent an email to Bingham last night asking if Brad could possibly fabricate a road bike based off my Steve Potts 29er drawing from six years ago. I got an automatic reply back-- we're taking a break for 2 weeks, check back March 15. Our current Winter wait is 7 months.

Then first thing this morning I get an email back from Hannah saying :

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your email. Sure Brad can do this based off of Steve Potts custom build for you.
Probably not necessary to have a pro fit unless you're currently having discomfort when you ride, injuries, other limitations that are hindering your ride experience.
Our lead time is about 6-7 months currently.
We're actually just about to head out of town for a two week break! Feel free to reach out again when we return (March 15th) with more questions, or we can send over fit form and get some other info from you to get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
Hannah

That kind of immediate communication - even when leaving for their vacation- makes me want to do business with an independent custom builder.

That said, I love the looks of Kelly's carbon/ti bike !

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 02-26-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Closed Thread