Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solographik View Post
The 5000TLs are such a great tire. I’ve run them in 25, 28, and 32 across diff wheel sets and use cases. Well worth the effort
I am in agreement with this statement. Phasing out GK's.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde the point View Post
I am in agreement with this statement. Phasing out GK's.
+1. I only have the 25s but plan on getting 28s and 32s. I wish Conti made some 32s or 34s with some side knobs on the same casing.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:57 AM

Do the 5000TL 32s run true to size on most modern wheelsets or are they a little big?

Last edited by srider; 02-26-2021 at 07:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2021, 08:59 AM

my 5000tl 32s are true to size on 28od/23id rims. (maybe a mm more with some riding)
Old 02-26-2021, 09:08 AM

Michelin's Power Road TLR comes in a 32mm.

https://road.cc/content/review/miche...-700x32-278497
Old 02-26-2021, 09:57 AM

i found the holy grail tubeless miracle install tool this morning

I struggled for over an hour yesterday and as I said in an earlier posting...I needed a third hand to make it work. The problem is getting the last 6 or 8 inches of the second side of the bead over the the lip of the rim.

I've had this tool forever and never found it to be ergonomic for install or remove of tough tires, but it does have a unique hook allegedly for installing:

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/speedier-lever

Well that little hook can be hooked into/onto the edge of the rim on one side where the bead is tight AND it will stay lodged in there perfectly by itself. It keeps your progress on the stuck bead held in place there while you use YOUR two hands to lift the rest of the bead over the lip of the rim. One hand holding progress on the opposite side from the tool and using a regular lever to lift the rest (middle stuck section) of the bead up and over the lip. So tool holding the right side, hand holding the left side, and tire lever in the middle to lift up and over tough section.

Done, done in 2 minutes this morning. I think no tough installs after this discovery. I should make a video!

This guy shows how to use it to install a reasonable tire, but imagine if you used it his way and then got stuck cuz the tire was so tight. Just leave the Speedier lever in at the stuck spot, use your hand on the other side stuck spot, and use a normal lever to lift in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbO_03rKyPk

Last edited by eddief; 02-26-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:19 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
.Done, done in 2 minutes this morning.
Eddie pal, you sure it's not because you ate your cereal this morning?
Old 02-26-2021, 12:31 PM

I've broken a set of pedros levers on gp5000 TL. Definitely warm the bead up a bit and use 2 levers. One to pry the bead on and another to keep the bead that is already seated from slipping off. I tried using some of the tire tools like the kool stop tire jack and the crank bros tool, didn't work all too well
Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

GP5000TL 700x28mm mounted by hand on Roval CL 50, CLX 50, and CLX64 rims. Also inflated using a floor pump, no jack, no soapy water, no heat required. YMMV
Old 02-26-2021, 01:33 PM
That guy..

Schwalbe Pro One's are really nice tires.
Easy to work with.
Reliable build quality.
Great performance. For my kind of riding.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I struggled for over an hour yesterday and as I said in an earlier posting...I needed a third hand to make it work. The problem is getting the last 6 or 8 inches of the second side of the bead over the the lip of the rim.

I've had this tool forever and never found it to be ergonomic for install or remove of tough tires, but it does have a unique hook allegedly for installing:

https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/speedier-lever

Well that little hook can be hooked into/onto the edge of the rim on one side where the bead is tight AND it will stay lodged in there perfectly by itself. It keeps your progress on the stuck bead held in place there while you use YOUR two hands to lift the rest of the bead over the lip of the rim. One hand holding progress on the opposite side from the tool and using a regular lever to lift the rest (middle stuck section) of the bead up and over the lip. So tool holding the right side, hand holding the left side, and tire lever in the middle to lift up and over tough section.

Done, done in 2 minutes this morning. I think no tough installs after this discovery. I should make a video!

This guy shows how to use it to install a reasonable tire, but imagine if you used it his way and then got stuck cuz the tire was so tight. Just leave the Speedier lever in at the stuck spot, use your hand on the other side stuck spot, and use a normal lever to lift in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbO_03rKyPk
Yep those can be handy for sure.

I'm not yet running tubeless but I'd be okay with a pretty tight fit when I eventually do.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Schwalbe Pro One's are really nice tires.
Easy to work with.
Reliable build quality.
Great performance. For my kind of riding.
Great riding tires but I had two of them that I could never get fully seated. I rode one of them most of last season with a tiny hop in it because I loved the way they rode. Bummer though.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Great riding tires but I had two of them that I could never get fully seated. I rode one of them most of last season with a tiny hop in it because I loved the way they rode. Bummer though.
Curious. Did you run them tubeless, or at least on tubeless rims?
Old 02-26-2021, 02:28 PM

Good to hear you got them mounted. They are really nice tires. I'll have to look into that tool. I was really worried about the install myself, but my Conti GP5K TL's when on relatively easy on my BTLOS rims after I let them sit out in the sun for a day.

One thing that impressed me about them (before actually riding them) was the fact that I was able to get a good solid seal without sealant which I think is a testament to their design (yes, I do use sealant in them).