Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 11:53 AM
formerly Landshark_98

long isolated winters lead to scheming: carbon gravel "all road" bikes for travel

As discussions in the household get more serious of spending significant time somewhere other than the Pacific NW for a good part of the year post covid vaccinations, my interest in a versatile bike, without couplers, that can be thrown on a plane to Hawaii or the SW for instance has me intrigued. Steel and ti I can figure out contenders for that but what about carbon? I became intrigued last night looking at the geometry and reviews of the Pinarello Grevil, which but for the greater tire size capacity is close in geometry to the F10 that I have. Specifically, what other production "all road" carbon bikes might be in the same category - more road, broken roads (think of the roads in Hawaii), not much knarly dirt or single track. I am aware of the downsides of internal routing for brake cable of front forks, as most bags I'm looking at would require removal of fork, and am aware of the extra steps required with discs so don't really need advice on that - more so what are good production carbon bikes that trend on the road/allroad end of the spectrum (think 650b x 38/42 and 700c x 30x36. Grazie!
Old 02-25-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
As discussions in the household get more serious of spending significant time somewhere other than the Pacific NW for a good part of the year post covid vaccinations, my interest in a versatile bike, without couplers, that can be thrown on a plane to Hawaii or the SW for instance has me intrigued. Steel and ti I can figure out contenders for that but what about carbon? I became intrigued last night looking at the geometry and reviews of the Pinarello Grevil, which but for the greater tire size capacity is close in geometry to the F10 that I have. Specifically, what other production "all road" carbon bikes might be in the same category - more road, broken roads (think of the roads in Hawaii), not much knarly dirt or single track. I am aware of the downsides of internal routing for brake cable of front forks, as most bags I'm looking at would require removal of fork, and am aware of the extra steps required with discs so don't really need advice on that - more so what are good production carbon bikes that trend on the road/allroad end of the spectrum (think 650b x 38/42 and 700c x 30x36. Grazie!
Ritchey has been selling a Breakaway Outback Carbon for a few years, and geo is pretty long/low closer to a road bike.

That said if you can find a bike with an Enve All-Road fork (or other) where the front brake line is external, traveling with a fork removed isn't too bad. I've flown a bunch with my various bikes in an Orucase (granted all rim brake) and it's been a snap. When headed to California to ride with my friend who traveled with his disc Trek in an Evoc bag, it took us about the same amount of time (30mins) to be ready to ride, and his bike flew with the fork in place.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
a versatile bike, without couplers,...[snip]... most bags I'm looking at would require removal of fork
I'm curious why you wouldn't want couplers if the alternative necessitates removal of the fork? Seems like that would take just as long and be more prone to issues if done hastily/incorrectly.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:33 PM

My $.02 here - if you are going with the airport ninja style case where you remove the fork, an older cyclocross bike with external brake cable routing could be the ticket.

My 2014 (I think) carbon Crux handles 700x38 and the geo is much more 'road' than 'gravel/all road' and that works really well for where I live. Only downside, I guess is the QR wheels, but doesnt seem to bother me.

Couplers are nice I guess but if you're going for extended stays, its probably not worth that.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:09 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm curious why you wouldn't want couplers if the alternative necessitates removal of the fork? Seems like that would take just as long and be more prone to issues if done hastily/incorrectly.
Pulling a fork is easy. To get a coupled bike that fits me in an S&S bike case requires splitting the frame, pulling the fork, removing the crank, etc. Been there done that.

LIke I said this is long winter idea; I already have a tank of a bike box (Buxum) which is great for going one place where you can park the box until you leave. I could use an existing bike with that, but where's the fun with that ; )
Old 02-25-2021, 01:46 PM

The Parlee Chebacco was more on the road spectrum of the gravel bikes that I have owned and ridden. They are quite reasonably priced at this stage. Very nice riding bike overall.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:27 PM

Niner RLT 9 comes in carbon. More classic gravel geo of course.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/rlt-9-rdo
Old 02-25-2021, 02:38 PM

Trek checkpoint
Ibis hakka
Old 02-25-2021, 04:08 PM

I think about these things too.. and where I tend to land is there's still no beating a powder-coated steel frameset for something like. In this case, I'd do a sloping/compact design with mini-v brakes and wide-range etap. In our size, it seems 700c can get us what we need for handling different terrain and designing something that will take 35s and 44s shouldn't be too hard. It's effectively a BMC MC Canti, just with some slope and without some of the extra braze-ons. Whether you go carbon or steel on the fork is a decent question. Seems Hampco could do this for you, or Gunnar.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:28 PM
formerly Landshark_98

I probably should kept that Hamptsen ybb bike that we both had and passed on! Checking to see if the 333FAB ALS and Spectrum fit in an Orucase or Post Carry Co bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I think about these things too.. and where I tend to land is there's still no beating a powder-coated steel frameset for something like. In this case, I'd do a sloping/compact design with mini-v brakes and wide-range etap. In our size, it seems 700c can get us what we need for handling different terrain and designing something that will take 35s and 44s shouldn't be too hard. It's effectively a BMC MC Canti, just with some slope and without some of the extra braze-ons. Whether you go carbon or steel on the fork is a decent question. Seems Hampco could do this for you, or Gunnar.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:05 PM

59cm Poprad, but I'm hesitant to say that out loud since I'm looking for one and don't want to compete against either of you to get it.

(Although it's not a sloping top tube, and that can be a lot of help for bikes of our size when traveling.)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:21 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
59cm Poprad, but I'm hesitant to say that out loud since I'm looking for one and don't want to compete against either of you to get it.
No worries from me, I've got plenty of metal bikes that could fit this bill, more or less and I just confirmed they'd fit in the largest Orucase.

I remain intrigued by the Grevil mostly due to the fact that the Dogma's that I've ridden, and I'm assuming its the aeroframe and wheels, seem to give me any extra 1- 1.5 mph per ride without even trying. Not really significant when riding solo, but thinking it could be handy say our group tours where there are times that keeping up with the bunch makes the day much easier. A review of the Grevil from Colorado Cyclist likens its road capacity as being on par with an F8 or F10 if you throw on some 700c wheels. I bet its fun with 650b x 38 or 42 supple tires.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
No worries from me, I've got plenty of metal bikes that could fit this bill, more or less and I just confirmed they'd fit in the largest Orucase.

I remain intrigued by the Grevil mostly due to the fact that the Dogma's that I've ridden, and I'm assuming its the aeroframe and wheels, seem to give me any extra 1- 1.5 mph per ride without even trying. Not really significant when riding solo, but thinking it could be handy say our group tours where there are times that keeping up with the bunch makes the day much easier. A review of the Grevil from Colorado Cyclist likens its road capacity as being on par with an F8 or F10 if you throw on some 700c wheels. I bet its fun with 650b x 38 or 42 supple tires.
I'm intrigued by that too, despite my well known steel proclivities..
Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Post Carry Co bag.
Do you have a Post Carry bag? I'm curious about these for bikes our size.

Quote:
I have a strong Grevil lust too. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I don't have any gravel to feed the Grevil. I'm holding off from having it as a "road" bike as I think firmly wander into "too many bikes" territory.

I would love to build one with Ekar though. Maybe someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'm intrigued by that too, despite my well known steel proclivities..
I feel ya. One of us needs to jump on one so the other can all have a turn! How good might the Grevil be?!?

I cannot get the thought and feel of the Dogma out of my mind. It speaks to me in my dreams. Me: looks over to see wife crying with laugther.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:58 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Do you have a Post Carry bag? I'm curious about these for bikes our size.

I have a strong Grevil lust too. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I don't have any gravel to feed the Grevil. I'm holding off from having it as a "road" bike as I think firmly wander into "too many bikes" territory.

I would love to build one with Ekar though. Maybe someday.

I feel ya. One of us needs to jump on one so the other can all have a turn! How good might the Grevil be?!?

I cannot get the thought and feel of the Dogma out of my mind. It speaks to me in my dreams. Me: looks over to see wife crying with laugther.

I think most of my bikes are a wee bit too big in the headtube (>21 cm) to fit the post carry but would fit the Orucase b2 xl.

The grevil could be a 3 for one downsizing for me (which really means I have way too many overlapping bikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk