Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroph View Post
One of the great things about Alpenrose was the youth and junior programs run by Phil Sanders. Many many outstanding racers went through Phil's programs including numerous state and national champions and at least one world champion. The loss of the velodrome is a huge blow to the Portland cycling community.
Phil's son, Glenn, was my cycling coach at UCSD when I was there as an undergrad, and Glenn was a PhD student.

Glenn raced for Crest, won a stage in the amateur Giro d'Italia, and US National team member.
https://pezcyclingnews.com/amp/inter...glenn-sanders/

It's a shame that the Velodrome will no longer foster this in Portland.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:29 PM

I rode Trexeltown once, on a touring bike in middle of bike tour in 1986. Still remember it. I dreamt for years if I ever one lottery to build one. Of course we never play the lottery.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:05 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
I rode Trexeltown once, on a touring bike in middle of bike tour in 1986. Still remember it. I dreamt for years if I ever one lottery to build one. Of course we never play the lottery.
you cant win if you never play

course you cant win if you do play...

which reminds me of a category of thought i indulge in sometimes...... whats with billionaires? ive always thought that if i somehow became a billionaire, id change the world. the WHOLE world.. i even came up with a plan and budget for how id do this, when i was in my early 20s, majoring in sociology (one of many majors i switched to and then back out of) and still held ideals.. iirc, my budget wasnt even a billion - i figured id need something around $250m to see my plan through. from ignorance and naivety, surely..

but still, the fact that any one of these billionaires could do SO MUCH good in the world - go down in history as one of the greatest humans who ever lived - and none of them do/have.... strikes me as telling.

telling of what.. not sure. but something.

anyway yea, if i was rich i would absolutely build velodromes and sponsor huge junior and adult cycling programs, among many other things.

guess warren buffet aint a cyclist
Old 02-25-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6day_rider View Post
I'm some guy who has a Mondonico track bike and was an instructor there. Weird.

Well, consider this a belated thank you. Funny thing was, IIRC, that night you were just there to help out and ride; a young woman was the lead instructor. The young woman really helped out my daughter, but you rode beside me an coached me. Your advice was great. And, I loved your bike. I was on one of the rental Fuji track bikes with my own shoes and pedals. First time I got up on that high bank was a thrill I’ll never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bici-Sonora; 02-25-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:37 PM

Swiftly on the heels, though tangentially, the Bike Gallery, a mainstay in the Portland cycling scene (and a former employer of yours truly) has been sold to TREK: https://www.bikegallery.com/articles...-faq-pg469.htm. The Bike Gallery was a very large Serotta dealer and custom fitter back in the day, and has a lot of great employees who have been with them for years and years. I wish them all the best and hope the stores can continue to serve the community well in the coming years.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:30 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbjor View Post
With the cycling community in AZ it’s hard to believe that we can’t get one built.
you think THAT'S fun, try being in the DC area! One of the hotbeds of cycling in the US and no track within 4-5hrs

SoCal is blessed with 3 tracks! I miss racing track

M
Old 02-25-2021, 06:31 PM

My dream location (we don't live their anymore) is now a Toyota dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
you cant win if you never play

course you cant win if you do play...

which reminds me of a category of thought i indulge in sometimes...... whats with billionaires? ive always thought that if i somehow became a billionaire, id change the world. the WHOLE world.. i even came up with a plan and budget for how id do this, when i was in my early 20s, majoring in sociology (one of many majors i switched to and then back out of) and still held ideals.. iirc, my budget wasnt even a billion - i figured id need something around $250m to see my plan through. from ignorance and naivety, surely..

but still, the fact that any one of these billionaires could do SO MUCH good in the world - go down in history as one of the greatest humans who ever lived - and none of them do/have.... strikes me as telling.

telling of what.. not sure. but something.

anyway yea, if i was rich i would absolutely build velodromes and sponsor huge junior and adult cycling programs, among many other things.

guess warren buffet aint a cyclist
Old 02-25-2021, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Swiftly on the heels, though tangentially, the Bike Gallery, a mainstay in the Portland cycling scene (and a former employer of yours truly) has been sold to TREK: https://www.bikegallery.com/articles...-faq-pg469.htm. The Bike Gallery was a very large Serotta dealer and custom fitter back in the day, and has a lot of great employees who have been with them for years and years. I wish them all the best and hope the stores can continue to serve the community well in the coming years.
Say hi to Sandy for me.

W.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:41 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Swiftly on the heels, though tangentially, the Bike Gallery, a mainstay in the Portland cycling scene (and a former employer of yours truly) has been sold to TREK: https://www.bikegallery.com/articles...-faq-pg469.htm.
Wow! I find this very interesting. I don't know how they think having 13 TREK stores on Portland/Metro will work. Seems a bit odd. I guess it gave the owners a chance to pull their chips off the table.

I'm from WI. I think Trek stuff is good. However, I just have never really been a fan. And, I've had a few. My first MTB from college is a Trek. Still have it...in burrito slayer motif now.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Say hi to Sandy for me.

W.
I remember Sandy. Made an impression on yours truly ....when an impressionable 18 yr old. And Kelly. Great people.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Wow! I find this very interesting. I don't know how they think having 13 TREK stores on Portland/Metro will work. Seems a bit odd. I guess it gave the owners a chance to pull their chips off the table.

I'm from WI. I think Trek stuff is good. However, I just have never really been a fan. And, I've had a few. My first MTB from college is a Trek. Still have it...in burrito slayer motif now.
They were mostly Trek/Bontrager stock already. The Serotta-level bikes are long gone, except for the lonely Co-Motion.