View Poll Results: Which winter tights
Bib tights (no chamois) + regular Bib Shorts 29 40.28%
Heavy winter bibs 30 41.67%
Other combo (bib short, non-bib tights) 11 15.28%
HTFU I just wear shorts all season, bruh. 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2019, 02:59 PM

Winter Bib Tights preferences

As the temperature drops which do you all prefer?
Wondering about bib tights (w/o chamois) over regular bib shorts and if wearing two sets of straps is annoying as I shop around for a pair (think below ~35 deg or so, I prefer leg warmers above that) or is it better to just get a pair of dedicated heavy winter bib tights (w/ chamois). Pros cons?

Last edited by MagicHour; 12-02-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:10 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Twinsix thermal bibs with chamois. 26% off today

https://www.twinsix.com/collections/...ant=6672493571
Old 12-02-2019, 03:18 PM

Thanks kppolich I'll add those to my list, looking at Galibier, PI Elite Escape Amfib, maybe Rapha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Twinsix thermal bibs with chamois. 26% off today

https://www.twinsix.com/collections/...ant=6672493571
Old 12-02-2019, 03:35 PM

Fwiw

I prefer the full length tights without the chamois and use a pair of bib shorts underneath, I never really notice any issues having 2 sets of straps over the shoulder. I just go this route based off of the temperature.......

I have 2 sets of full length tights, one lighter set for when the morning starts out around 30 degrees but ramps up to the mid to upper 40’s, and a heavier set for when it never gets out of the 30’s.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:36 PM

I run hot so, take this FWIW.

I really like knickers (Rapha calls them 3/4) above freezing. They come in different weights and lengths and essentially cover your knees but don't go the full length. I really like Cafe du cycliste's, and have three pairs. Anything over about 38 I'll wear them with long merino socks and toe covers on my shoes.

I also just picked up some nice tights from Chapeau, which have stirrups which is really a nice feature.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:10 PM

Winter Bib Tights preferences

Never had a problem with wearing two sets of straps. I go with a regular pair of bibs (and leg warmers if in the 20s and below), and then a pair of wind proof tights without chamois on top of all of it. I can do thermal bibs underneath if I wanted to, and can choose between leg and knee warmers, etc etc. Plus the tights don’t have to go through as many wash cycles and I don’t need to have multiple pairs of tights with bibs.

Last edited by vincenz; 12-02-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:21 PM

@Adrien - I happened to be in the area of the Rapha NYC store a few weeks ago so I stopped in, I was actually interested in a set of their bib knickers. Salesperson told me that Rapha no longer makes knickers........I found that rather odd.

I actually prefer knickers until it just gets too cold, then the full length gear comes out.......
Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM

For winter temps (low 30's and below), I use a looser strap bibshort w/pad under a PI Amfib bibtight w/o pad. The Amfib tight is really nice for cold weather. If using a tight fitting bibshort, the double shoulder straps are a bit uncomfortable.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:43 PM

Whats a bib tight?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:45 PM

Thanks guys, that helps. sorta along my lines of thinking with the thermal/non-chamois bib tights; flexibility for layering and less frequent laundry, since I'd only be getting one pair this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemalar View Post
I prefer the full length tights without the chamois and use a pair of bib shorts underneath, I never really notice any issues having 2 sets of straps over the shoulder. I just go this route based off of the temperature.......

I have 2 sets of full length tights, one lighter set for when the morning starts out around 30 degrees but ramps up to the mid to upper 40’s, and a heavier set for when it never gets out of the 30’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Never had a problem with wearing two sets of straps. I go with a regular pair of bibs (and leg warmers if in the 20s and below), and then a pair of wind proof tights without chamois on top of all of it. I can do thermal bibs underneath if I wanted to, and can choose between leg and knee warmers, etc etc. Plus the tights don’t have to go through as many wash cycles and I don’t need to have multiple pairs of tights with bibs.
Adrien - thx I run pretty warm too, and I get a ton of use from my Defeet Wool kneekers + my normal bibs. I can see how a pair of 3/4s or even just thermal bib shorts could be handy for a big chunk of the season. Hmm... will keep my eyes open during sales as another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien View Post
I run hot so, take this FWIW.

I really like knickers (Rapha calls them 3/4) above freezing. They come in different weights and lengths and essentially cover your knees but don't go the full length. I really like Cafe du cycliste's, and have three pairs. Anything over about 38 I'll wear them with long merino socks and toe covers on my shoes.

I also just picked up some nice tights from Chapeau, which have stirrups which is really a nice feature.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:51 PM

I see what you did there, haha moving is not an option right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Whats a bib tight?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:54 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemalar View Post
@Adrien - I happened to be in the area of the Rapha NYC store a few weeks ago so I stopped in, I was actually interested in a set of their bib knickers. Salesperson told me that Rapha no longer makes knickers........I found that rather odd. I actually prefer knickers until it just gets too cold, then the full length gear comes out.......
there is a shift towards thermal bib shorts plus knee/leg warmers instead of 3/4

I recently sold my spare pair of classic 3/4 here - it's now outside Toronto where it will get worn. the classic thermal roubaix was a bit too warm for me - prefer the rapha CX 3/4 - sadly also no longer made.

If I need to wear full length I prefer a built-in chamois. then again it is rarely <35d so if it is I find something else to do.

Last edited by pdmtong; 12-02-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Tights over shorts=never again. After my first set of good winter bib tights, I'll never try to cheap out with that again.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:38 PM

I recently got a pair of Rapha thermal bib shorts that I really like. I also use Rapha tights with the pad but the thermal shorts are my go to unless its below freezing. They work great with a pair of PI leg warmers and are perfect for those days when you have a 20+ degree temperature change.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:56 PM

I tried Rapha and Q36.5 winter tights. The Q’s are superior IMO. They are water repellent, thinner but equally warm, more comfortable, and better quality than Rapha.