Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 07:24 PM

OT: Ipad pro as an E-reader

I have been doing alot of reading as of late and am sick of buying hard cover book and having them sit around till I can decide what o do with them.
Is there any experience with the Ipad pro as an ereader?
It will be mainly for non fiction and maybe a few mags.
Is the eye strain a problem?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:27 PM

Use mine with Kindle app.

It works great. I had a kindle years ago, but didn’t want multiple devices. The kindle was better outside in glare, but the iPad works fine, and I’m not inclined to go to a beach to read.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:28 PM
aka RAEKWON

I dont have an ipad pro but have had an ipad and occasionaly read on my iphone. As a desicated ereader though, I would choose kindle and kindle only. Screen is awesome because it does not fatigue eyes, does not keep you up at night, battery lasts for a month, its light so you can easily read ine handed and easy to read in direct sunlight. Its also cheap.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I have been doing alot of reading as of late and am sick of buying hard cover book and having them sit around till I can decide what o do with them.
Is there any experience with the Ipad pro as an ereader?
It will be mainly for non fiction and maybe a few mags.
Is the eye strain a problem?
Kindle reader paperwhite is very nice reader. I have not used the Ipad Pro but I do prefer the kindle over the ipad with a retina display
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I have a slightly older iPad and I read books on it occasionally. No problems with eye strain. Still, I’m still drawn to physical books. Mostly paperbacks as I don’t think hardbacks are worth the price. I try to check them out from the library or buy them used locally or online. A few special books I keep on my shelf but mostly I sell them back to one our local used book stores.
The iPad Pro should work well for you.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:36 PM

I have an IPad Pro from a year ago and it’s awesome. If it could run full blown iTunes I would not need a laptop st home.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

I use mine all the time even though I have more books in my basement than I'll read in a lifetime.

I like the flexibility on text size, how many books (and different kinds) I can keep on the iPad at any time, and the ability to press on a word and have the dictionary definition pop up. I don't get eye strain and mine changes the blue light at a set time so it doesn't keep me up.

I like to keep several volumes of poetry, several collections of short stories, and a bunch of novels on it so I can read whatever suits my fancy at the time. It really helps when I travel and finish a book during the trip.

I still read my paper books as well. Recently I was on the light rail heading to Denver reading Light in August and wanted the definition of a word, so I pressed on it. It took me a few seconds to realize that the reason the definition wasn't popping up was because it was a hard cover book and not my iPad. I felt foolish but really appreciated technology.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 PM

I looked at the kindles but I want something with a little larger screen. From what I can find the kindle screen is only about 6" high. I like the screen size on the Ipads better,either 9.7 or the 10.5. I mainly read in the winter time so most of the reading would be inside under a reading lamp.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Good free apps

Good thing about using an ipad is the free apps that your library has. I use Libby and can order ebooks from the library that are free. Sometimes I reserve both the electronic version and hardcover to see which one I get first. If you have Prime you can get some deals on ebooks and look at unlimited ebooks.

The Libby app is as good as the Kindle app. I use a regular sized ipad for reading and it is perfectly fine. You can turn the brightness down for reading at night.

I keep reference books on the Kindle app and can carry them around to work etc so it works well. The instant delivery is great too.

Alan
Old 12-10-2018, 08:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
I looked at the kindles but I want something with a little larger screen. From what I can find the kindle screen is only about 6" high. I like the screen size on the Ipads better,either 9.7 or the 10.5. I mainly read in the winter time so most of the reading would be inside under a reading lamp.
there is a 7in kindle but thats as big as they come now, unless you can track down a used 9.7in one on ebay
Old 12-10-2018, 08:48 PM

I use my Ipad Pro more than I use my galaxy tablet.
User-friendly and very reliable.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I just upgraded from an iPad Pro 10.5 to a 2018 iPad Pro 12.9. I have had some eye issues and the larger screen is far easier to see and read. I use it with an Apple Pencil for notetaking, and also have a keyboard that I use for word-processing. I use it as a laptop replacement. I don’t miss my kindle.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:47 PM

I've done a bit of both and both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm considering actually going back and attempting to decipher an analog version of this content (paperback) to see if it is still viable.

I've got a few faves in paper (LOTR and Potter) and I'm pretty sure they're actually better than both.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:58 PM

I use my iPad mini 2 with the kindle app. I like the black screen night mode so I can read before falling asleep without disturbing my SO.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Good thing about using an ipad is the free apps that your library has. I use Libby and can order ebooks from the library that are free. Sometimes I reserve both the electronic version and hardcover to see which one I get first. If you have Prime you can get some deals on ebooks and look at unlimited ebooks.

The Libby app is as good as the Kindle app. I use a regular sized ipad for reading and it is perfectly fine. You can turn the brightness down for reading at night.

Alan
Same for me. New iPad, local library and the Libby app. Works great. I adjust the brightness as needed. My favorite part is I don’t need my reading glasses with the iPad but do with a book - huge plus!