Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Indian Peaks Traverse - Anybody ridden it?

Planning a 2 day ride out of Boulder next summer and wanted to know if anyone has ridden this before:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/703...s-traverse-ipt

One day from Boulder to Winter Park and the next day back. Hotel stay overnight.

Looking for anyone with experience riding some or all of the trail.

Interested in perspective as to how much technical single track on route vs. double track and dirt roads. The pictures do show a few rough sections, but if those are limited highlights, I am not sure I really need a full on mountain bike.

I am an experienced mountain biker who prefers to bring as little bike as possible so I do not want to pick my ride for 5% of the terrain if that is all that is overly gnarly. Any perspective on route or trails that are part of route is appreciated.

Bike packing bike options being considered for trip (limited load to carry):
- Potts Rock-N-Road (700 x 43)
- Willits 28 Incher (29 x 1.9)
- Moots Rogue YBB (650b x 2.25)
- 44 Bikes Marauder (29 x 2.35)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM

This is on my to-do list as well - it's a gorgeous slice of Colorado.

I've not ridden the whole route, but I have ridden the Mags area around Nederland quite a bit - of the bikes you list, I'd want the 44. Expect plenty of chunk, steep ups and downs. Rollins Pass is usuallygravel bike territory, but I'd want some pretty fat tires.

I don't know your fitness or acclimation to altitude, but 1 day from Boulder to WP and back the next is exceptionally ambitious. Especially if you spend a lot of time hike-a-biking one of your cross bikes. My rough plan around this route has involved a 27.5+ hardtail, Boulder to WP in 2 days with plenty of time to stop and take in the vistas.

Last edited by Jaybee; 12-10-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
This is on my to-do list as well - it's a gorgeous slice of Colorado.

I've not ridden the whole route, but I have ridden the Mags area around Nederland quite a bit - of the bikes you list, I'd want the 44. Expect plenty of chunk, steep ups and downs. Rollins Pass is gravel bike territory, but I'd want some pretty fat tires.

I don't know your fitness or acclimation to altitude, but 1 day from Boulder to WP and back the next is exceptionally ambitious. Especially if you spend a lot of time hike-a-biking one of your cross bikes. My rough plan around this route has involved a 27.5+ hardtail, Boulder to WP in 2 days with plenty of time to stop and take in the vistas.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like the 44 would be the ticket or possibly just keep my 2.35 on the front of the Moots and consider that as well. The Moots is actually a pretty good endurance racer and have run it at rides like the NUE Hampshire 100 previously.

Should be a big day riding, but I am pretty used to the grind and change in altitude as I occasionally head to Boulder for the Buffalo Classic or Triple Bypass. This will be different off road of course, however I generally do road, mountain and gravel endurance rides each year. I was equating this ride to be somewhere between the Buffalo and Triple for effort once adjusted for off road and the 35 miles of embedded single track.

Regardless, sounds like I will be in for a couple of beautiful but challenging days!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM

i've done parts of it e.g., nederland to rollins pass and back. and trails around boulder. it is a beautiful ride. but i would want a full suspension mountain bike on the rollins pass road. it is rough. i was on my ibis ripley (125 mm rear travel) and it was rough coming down. but IPT it is definitely doable. heck, i know people who run from nederland to winter park and back the next day. anyway, today i look out west and see the mountains from my window in boulder and they are covered in snow. so, it might get pretty rough when you're on the continental divide. the snow will slow you down considerably (maybe it is impossible this time of year?) and if it is windy the day you ride, blowing snow will make it miserable. anyway, if you can do it in winter, my hats off to you.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Talk with Will Frischkorn at Cured in Boulder (yes, that Will Frischkorn who drove a TDF break of 4 that stayed away when Garmin Slipstream was early on in riding Le Tour). When we were staying at the Wild Horse Inn in Fraser (highly recommended, owner is a friend who was a pro team mechanic and soigneur) Will and his wife Coral rode over from Boulder with toothbrushes and a few other things, stayed overnight and rode back.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
i've done parts of it e.g., nederland to rollins pass and back. and trails around boulder. it is a beautiful ride. but i would want a full suspension mountain bike on the rollins pass road. it is rough. i was on my ibis ripley (125 mm rear travel) and it was rough coming down. but IPT it is definitely doable. heck, i know people who run from nederland to winter park and back the next day. anyway, today i look out west and see the mountains from my window in boulder and they are covered in snow. so, it might get pretty rough when you're on the continental divide. the snow will slow you down considerably (maybe it is impossible this time of year?) and if it is windy the day you ride, blowing snow will make it miserable. anyway, if you can do it in winter, my hats off to you.
Sounds like another vote for bring a mountain bike for sure!

Admittedly, do not own and have never owned anything more than a YBB so FS will not be an option, but I am used to bringing as little bike as possible. That said, am a fan of the Ripley as that would likely be the one FS bike I would buy, if I were to.

Your post does have me thinking the soft tail of the Moots might be the way to go as I am not super worried about the technical riding, but rather what bike will leave me less beat in the end. Y B Beat.

My buddy will be riding his Ibis Tranny 29er and not sure about the rest of the group.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post

Winter... good point. I'd wager this route is currently impassable without xc skis or snowshoes. I wouldn't even want to try a fatbike - too deep, too powdery. Also too avalanche-y anytime before late Feb.

Since OP is planning for summer - I'd say mid-June is the earliest you would normally expect Corona/Rollins Pass to be snow free. Given that we are a little ahead of schedule on snow this year, push that to July 1 for summer 2019.

Last edited by Jaybee; 12-10-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Talk with Will Frischkorn at Cured in Boulder (yes, that Will Frischkorn who drove a TDF break of 4 that stayed away when Garmin Slipstream was early on in riding Le Tour). When we were staying at the Wild Horse Inn in Fraser (highly recommended, owner is a friend who was a pro team mechanic and soigneur) Will and his wife Coral rode over from Boulder with toothbrushes and a few other things, stayed overnight and rode back.
Perfect. LOVE that place. Vecchio's and Boxcar/Cured are probably the two spots I never miss in Boulder.

Will have my buddy who lives in Boulder check out Will sometime to share his experience.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Winter... good point. I'd wager this route is currently impassable without xc skis or snowshoes. I wouldn't even want to try a fatbike - too deep, too powdery.

Since OP is planning for summer - I'd say mid-June is the earliest you would expect Corona/Rollins Pass to be snow free.
Excellent. Yes. Summer. Mid-June is absolutely the earliest this would be planned so should be good to go once schedule sorted.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Perfect. LOVE that place. Vecchio's and Boxcar/Cured are probably the two spots I never miss in Boulder.

Will have my buddy who lives in Boulder check out Will sometime to share his experience.
Yes! both are always on my "must stop in" list during our annual trip from WI to CO. I drive out with my bike in the car, stay with friends in Niwot and ride the front range for a few days, my wife flies out, we spend a couple of nights in Dillon or Steamboat where I get to ride a few higher routes, then spend 4 nights or so at the Wild Horse. This year we stayed at Ft. Collins on the way out and will very likely do that again this year.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Yes! both are always on my "must stop in" list during our annual trip from WI to CO. I drive out with my bike in the car, stay with friends in Niwot and ride the front range for a few days, my wife flies out, we spend a couple of nights in Dillon or Steamboat where I get to ride a few higher routes, then spend 4 nights or so at the Wild Horse. This year we stayed at Ft. Collins on the way out and will very likely do that again this year.
Sounds like a nice annual trip. Similar direction and logistics as I head from MN to CO annually. Drive out with the bike. Make a pit stop in Lincoln, NE at Monkey Wrench Cycles to chat up Nate and crew. Stay with friends in Denver/Boulder and ride whatever is on the slate for that trip. Just wish my trips were a little longer like yours as I am usually out there for an extended weekend.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:12 PM

I've ridden from Boulder to Winter Park and back a number of times and have probably been on most of the singletrack trails they've added. Their route looks like a lot of fun but it will be challenging especially if some of the members of your group are having a tough time with the altitude. The climb up and over Flagstaff to Magnolia road will indicate whether your plans are realistic. If the first climbs prove tougher than expected you can skip the singletrack and still have a real scenic ride to Winter Park. Just take Magnolia to the Peak to Peak highway, head south to Rollinsville, take the dirt road through Tolland to Moffat Tunnel and then climb the road/old rail bed up and over the pass and down to Winter Park. Your Moots or hardtail will be the best choice for either route.

Two things you need to consider when planning your adventure....water and the weather. Start early and know where you can refill your Camelbaks or bottles. Make sure everyone in your group carries raingear, a space blanket, and someone should have a lighter or matches incase you need to make a fire to dry out. The weather in the high country can be pretty wild and afternoon rainstorms with lightning are common. It's also been known to snow in July and August.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:23 PM

….

Last edited by gdw; 12-10-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: double post.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I've ridden from Boulder to Winter Park and back a number of times and have probably been on most of the singletrack trails they've added. Their route looks like a lot of fun but it will be challenging especially if some of the members of your group are having a tough time with the altitude. The climb up and over Flagstaff to Magnolia road will indicate whether your plans are realistic. If the first climbs prove tougher than expected you can skip the singletrack and still have a real scenic ride to Winter Park. Just take Magnolia to the Peak to Peak highway, head south to Rollinsville, take the dirt road through Tolland to Moffat Tunnel and then climb the road/old rail bed up and over the pass and down to Winter Park. Your Moots or hardtail will be the best choice for either route.

Two things you need to consider when planning your adventure....water and the weather. Start early and know where you can refill your Camelbaks or bottles. Make sure everyone in your group carries raingear, a space blanket, and someone should have a lighter or matches incase you need to make a fire to dry out. The weather in the high country can be pretty wild and afternoon rainstorms with lightning are common. It's also been known to snow in July and August.
Sounds like all good advice.

I only know and ride regularly with my buddy in Boulder who is organizing so I am sure he is good, but have not ridden with the rest. Some will be arriving from out of state just as I am and will have to deal with the altitude change.

I will keep the bail out in mind as always good to have a plan B and keep weather and gear in mind.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:34 PM

OK. Based on the feedback on this trail, I am thinking of adding one option to my list and pushing it to the top. It sounds like the right bowl of porridge.

- Castellano/Potts Silk Ti 29er

Just finishing pulling together parts for this build and really sounds like the right ride for this trip. Jones bars, 9sp. thumbies, XTR, XC Pro cranks and a titanium couch.