Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 AM

OT - Los Angeles in Late December/Early January?

Hey there Paceliners,

We've had a change of plans for our ski trip over Christmas vacation this year and are looking at other options. One of which is a trip out to LA. So, what's the weather in LA like toward the end of December/beginning of January? Are the beach areas pretty chilly? Is it usually sunny or more overcast? We've been out twice this year but really focused on sights and activities North of LAX. This time, we would look a bit further South. The goal would be to stay close to one of the beaches (access to surfing) and do short day trips from there.

Thanks!

Texbike
Old 12-10-2018, 09:18 AM

I would expect about a third of our mornings to be overcast, but we've also had many sunny 80 degree winter mornings here. The weather is usually pretty temperate, especially if you plan to stay near the coast. I would expect the majority of days to be between 50-70F.

I'd say Palos Verdes/San Pedro/Long Beach have are prone to being overcast more than other areas, so maybe avoid those if you're looking for sun - but the rest of it may be more or less the same wherever you go (i.e. if it's overcast in Santa Monica, it's not likely to be sunny in Manhattan Beach, and vice versa). hope that helps
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM

Surf and ski! Stay in Hermosa or Manhattan Beach in the South Bay for the waves. Hit Big Bear in San Bernardino County to ski. Haven't been there in years but I believe they have snow making and night skiing. The slopes are pretty good for Southern Cal. Have fun!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
#RYFB

Weather is usually pretty temperate around that time as others have said. Don't expect great beach weather temperature-wise, but usually clear unlike May/June.
I'm not personally a huge fan of the south bay but if that's where you're aiming then, as posted above, Hermosa and Manhattan beaches are your best bets. Catalina could be a fun outing if you're down that way as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM
needs adult supervision

It’s not LA, but it’s close: Santa Barbara might be another option. Not a resident but having spent almost uncountable days in the area looking for good shooting days in winter, the beaches of LA can be foggy and chilly, particularly mornings. And January weather in LA can be a bit unpredictable if weather patterns get stuck over the Pacific. Had to call lots of weather days in January. Maybe it’s just my experience but Santa Barbara has been a more consistent good weather spot in winter. YMMV.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Manhattan and Hermosa are pretty nice, but I would suggest going even farther south. I would suggest Huntington Beach, Newport Beach or Laguna Beach. Huntington Beach is super popular for surfing. Winter is the "rainy season" here, but for some strange reason, it almost never rains on the Rose parade. Actually, if it's not raining, late December and early January can be some of the nicest weather here. The marine layer is usually not a problem in the winter. Days can be quite warm in the 60's and 70's, but in the evening and night it cools off quite a bit. Actually, I think you're more likely to get good weather at the beach coming in late December or early January as opposed to May - July.

Enjoy your visit.

Last edited by old_fat_and_slow; 12-10-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:38 PM

San Diego might work well. Bring your wetsuit to surf anywhere in CA. in the winter. Skiing is already pretty good at Big Bear. I think it would be about a 3 hour drive from San Diego. i went there with my pal who was on Ski Patrol on Aspen Mountain and he was surprised how much fun he had. There are challenging runs but they aren't as long as you find in Aspen, etc.

Plenty of places to ride/hike too.

SD traffic can be bad in rush hour but it's way better than LA/Orange County.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the confirmation and the suggestions. Huntington or Newport is where we're looking.

El Cheapo, I like the way you think! We may not be able to pull that one off on this trip, but that would be fun - ski one day and surf the next.

A trip to Catalina is definitely in the cards.

Ken, we would love to make it down to La Jolla. That was one of the target destinations as well. However, the Huntington or Newport area will be closer to a number of the things that we want to see.

Thanks!

Texbike
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM

I'm partial to Hermosa/Manhattan now that we've moved back, but agree that making your home base further south will put you closer to some of the things you want to do that direction.

Hermosa/MB are great if you want to stay in the South Bay bubble or be closer to Santa Monica/Venice, etc.

Weather wise here's what I've realized since we've been back (4 weeks): it's cooler than I remembered at the coast, especially if you ride before noon. Not cold mind you, but not warm either....first ride I went out in short sleeves without any warmers and it was chilly. Everybody else I passed had knee/arm and typically a vest as it's pretty damp most mornings. Now I tend to always ride with a vest and and sometimes knee/arm warmers depending on start time.

Still beats bundling up like the other 99% of the country!

Enjoy the trip! Go a bit further south to Laguna Beach and Dana point....go for a drink and walk the beach at the Ritz in Laguna. Was just there and they really do it up for the Xmas displays. Fun area to go explore!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
I'm partial to Hermosa/Manhattan now that we've moved back, but agree that making your home base further south will put you closer to some of the things you want to do that direction.

Hermosa/MB are great if you want to stay in the South Bay bubble or be closer to Santa Monica/Venice, etc.

Weather wise here's what I've realized since we've been back (4 weeks): it's cooler than I remembered at the coast, especially if you ride before noon. Not cold mind you, but not warm either....first ride I went out in short sleeves without any warmers and it was chilly. Everybody else I passed had knee/arm and typically a vest as it's pretty damp most mornings. Now I tend to always ride with a vest and and sometimes knee/arm warmers depending on start time.

Still beats bundling up like the other 99% of the country!

Enjoy the trip! Go a bit further south to Laguna Beach and Dana point....go for a drink and walk the beach at the Ritz in Laguna. Was just there and they really do it up for the Xmas displays. Fun area to go explore!
Thanks for the suggestions K! I hadn't realized that you had left Austin and moved back to LA. We'll miss you here in town, but congratulations on the move back! I'm jealous - LA is such a great area. Soooo much great biking and outdoor stuff. We love it. When we asked the kids what they wanted to do instead of go to Colorado, they both immediately said - "Let's go to LA".

Texbike
Old 12-12-2018, 11:02 AM

That's the worst time to come here, quite frankly. The christmas-mid january time always feels like the coldest, wettest time of the year. I realize cold is relative, but I have had sub-freezing rides start at that time, and I only live a couple of miles from the ocean.

That said, there wont be snow in the cities, and you might find some fun snow in the mountains.