Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM

reminds me of.....

Man bun & ponytail.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
I just got my king 44mm headset installed, here is list of tools used.

Park crp-2 crown race puller $265

Park crs-15.2 oversized crown race setter $95

Park hhp-2 headset press $174

Park rt-1 Cup remover (to pull the old headset) $36

Park rt-2 oversized Cup remover (to pull the old headset) $36

Chris King 1.125 adaptor $48

Chris King 1.5 adaptor $48

My head math says that’s $702 in total tools. This doesn’t even touch the overhead of the rent, utilities, and labor. You’re right, definitely not worth a $30 fee to install.
One, the co op already has all the other tools. Two, I only need to install a new headset, not remove an old one.

There are also plenty of $50-70 options from brands like wheelsmfg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
But paying a bike mechanic in beer is helping keep the lights on in the industry?

Get outta here with that silliness.
Paying a bike mechanic a reasonable amount for a service will. For this I'd say $10 is cheap, $15 is reasonable and $20 is expensive. $30 is make a whining thread.

The "a few beers" statement wasn't meant to piss off so many people. It's meant to show how when you overcharge for a service, you end up losing customers entirely rather than at least getting some customers. Would a shop rather do 50 $20 installs or 15 $30 ones? Not to mention that business wise, stuff like this should be what gets people in the door who otherwise might not have come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

You think $30 is too much(disposable income an issue, 'it's just pricing') but you want to spend more than that $30 to 'show those crappy bike shops'....I donno, confused..get the thing installed, go ride yer bike.
If I find just 1 other person who doesn't want to pay the $30 install, we have $60 of "**** you" money. That's enough to buy the tool. It's not a $700 tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post
Damaged crown race during install, can it be fixed?

Or

Headset binds, don’t know why.
I've installed 50+ headsets without issue, I think I'll be fine. It's also not that hard.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do any of your own repairs but don't pretend like it's impossible for people to do their own repairs.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post

The "a few beers" statement wasn't meant to piss off so many people. It's meant to show how when you overcharge for a service, you end up losing customers entirely rather than at least getting some customers. Would a shop rather do 50 $20 installs or 15 $30 ones? Not to mention that business wise, stuff like this should be what gets people in the door who otherwise might not have come in.

If that was the intent then you badly missed the mark. It devalues the skill and labor of those who do this professionally and need to charge what they charge to keep the lights on, pay bills and hopefully make a profit at the end of the day.

Just buy the tool and install it yourself if giving a shop a couple bucks.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do any of your own repairs but don't pretend like it's impossible for people to do their own repairs.
it's absolutely not impossible to do your own repairs. I've pulled and installed many headsets on my own, with my tools. I bought the tools specifically because I know I'll use them often enough that they'll pay for themselves; and this is simply because, as you're seeing, such repairs can be pricey. a one shot install, thinking you may go another 5-10 years without doing it again? not worth buying the tools. $30 is totally fair in NYC. I'll bet the same shop charges $15 for a new tube and install. and you know how easy that is, and that it requires no tools.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Can OP put context to this build? What is frame/kit build?

$30 in grand scheme of things on a $200 build vs. $1k & up build is two different equations.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I'll bet the same shop charges $15 for a new tube and install.
Most NYC shops actually charge a fair bit more now...
Old 12-10-2018, 01:55 PM

This is the best thread ever.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Most NYC shops actually charge a fair bit more now...
Yeah I'd actually say $15 including install etc is a good price, most shops charge $8-10 just for the tube itself.

It's about the same time and labor (and dirtier) to do a tube swap as a headset install. Depends if it's a ****ty steel bead.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
One, the co op already has all the other tools. Two, I only need to install a new headset, not remove an old one.

There are also plenty of $50-70 options from brands like wheelsmfg.

Paying a bike mechanic a reasonable amount for a service will. For this I'd say $10 is cheap, $15 is reasonable and $20 is expensive. $30 is make a whining thread.

If I find just 1 other person who doesn't want to pay the $30 install, we have $60 of "**** you" money. That's enough to buy the tool. It's not a $700 tool.

I've installed 50+ headsets without issue, I think I'll be fine. It's also not that hard.

You keep bringing up beer, so I can only assume you are drunk.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Then go do it, I don’t understand what you are complaining about. You clearly don’t value what the bike shops time, tools, and overhead cost the same way they have to in order to stay open. $30 is normal and reasonable in any part of the country not just NY.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:11 PM

I pay $30 for a haircut with tip .A haircut takes longer than a headset install. Cribit has an excellent point

Last edited by joosttx; 12-10-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I pay $30 for a haircut with tip .A haircut takes longer than a BB install. Cribit has an excellent point
You paid too much, I cut my hair with a knife from my kitchen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935CE0B-F692-4306-800D-751BD835D50B.jpg (43.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 12-10-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I pay $30 for a haircut with tip .A haircut takes longer than a BB install. Cribit has an excellent point
You and Cribit been down by the creek drinkin...
Old 12-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
You keep bringing up beer, so I can only assume you are drunk.
immm no drruynk
Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 PM

Last edited by joosttx; 12-10-2018 at 06:07 PM.