Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Classics Fan

Old guys of paceline, here's the question:

Are you still in good shape because your ride? or are you still able to ride because you're in good shape?

Inspired by the Chief's, ummm, inspirational story of rolling his odometer, I have to know. I've seen a lot of folks over 65 or 70 that are not very physically fit, and certainly could not be riding a bicycle.

So, acknowledging the fact that you may not be able to separate cause and effect, I'd like to know which you attribute your continued ability to ride. genetic or other types of luck, or a life time of physical activity to build and maintain that fitness?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:38 AM

Old guy

So I’m a young “Old Guy”, just 61, I’m guessing I’m fit because I ride, but I also stay fit to ride.

I ride 4 to 5 times a week, during the week I do like a 15mile rides and do strength training and some work on the elliptical. Weekends I do longer rides.

I love riding because it it’s peaceful and truly pleasurable.

Ray
Old 12-03-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Are you still in good shape because your ride? or are you still able to ride because you're in good shape?

Inspired by the Chief's, ummm, inspirational story of rolling his odometer, I have to know. I've seen a lot of folks over 65 or 70 that are not very physically fit, and certainly could not be riding a bicycle.

So, acknowledging the fact that you may not be able to separate cause and effect, I'd like to know which you attribute your continued ability to ride. genetic or other types of luck, or a life time of physical activity to build and maintain that fitness?
I'm curious about this as well...
Old 12-03-2018, 11:44 AM

My MIL just turned 70 and can barely get from her house to her car. And then I read about people here in their late 70s clocking more miles a year than I do..

I'm hoping a life of activity will keep me doing what I do for a long, long time - plus, science .
Old 12-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
My MIL just turned 70 and can barely get from her house to her car. And then I read about people here in their late 70s clocking more miles a year than I do..

I'm hoping a life of activity will keep me doing what I do for a long, long time - plus, science .
It isn't too late to turn things around, but AFAIK if you're active while you're young, you'll be fitter when you're older and able to be more active. ...which allows you to be fitter... which...

The youngest guy on the ride yesterday was 46YO

M
Old 12-03-2018, 12:03 PM

I would say both, Matt. We on this forum are lucky that we have found something we really enjoy doing that's also good for our health. I have always been active, thanks to enjoyment of cycling, tennis, hiking, xc skiing, and other things. I've enjoyed doing these things, so the health benefits have just come along for the ride.

But yeah, genes probably have something to do with it. A lot of us just run into issues in our life that we didn't ask for - cancer being one of too many to list.

Every day is a gift.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:08 PM

Years ago I read a press conference of Paul Dudley White, who was Eisenhower's cardiologist. Ike had just suffered his first heart attack so White went out in front of the cameras to explain how the ex-president was doing (remember, this was at a time when people listened to scientists instead of deriding them). At one point in the back and forth, a reporter asked if Ike's heart attack was because of all his exertion on the golf course. "On the contrary,' White said, "it was probably a mild one because he spent all the time on the golf course. I'd like to see him back out there as soon as possible."

Or, to the OP's question, the answer to "am I young because I ride or do I ride because I am young?" is "yes."
Old 12-03-2018, 12:08 PM

A variation on the old "nature vs nurture" question.

I vote "both". I'm 66, do about 4-5k miles per year, have a lot of top 10 (And one KOM) Strava segments, all ages/weights.

Without question cycling helps keep me fit, but I'm predisposed that way too, I think.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Health is wealth.

I used to see Fred Lebow running in the Central Park when I was in my yooot. Fred started the New York Road Runners Club.
I think his quotes and his power of example is the all the inspiration I have needed. He says this about running but a case can be made that it applies to cycling:

Training is like putting money in a bank. You deposit money, and then you can take it out.
Fred Lebow

https://www.azquotes.com/author/20466-Fred_Lebow

John Lennon

Last edited by drewski; 12-03-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Re:

Definitely both. When I was younger and racing I worked out (run, gym, etc.) to improve my riding for racing. Now that I'm older (58) I ride as part of a general fitness regimen. I didn't work out for many years but started to ride again because I had become overweight. Then added back in things like the gym and improved diet. These have in turn improved my riding significantly over the past few years.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:14 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Every day is a gift.
Boy isn't that the truth!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:22 PM

Well, Matt, if non forum member feedback is permissible...

One of my fittest clients (perhaps the fittest, actually) is 67. He looks like a really ripped version of "The Most Inteseting Man in the World." My gym has about 15 swinging monkey bars hanging from the ceiling. Most of my clients (and other gym members) can only nail four. Maybe five. He nailed all of them on the first attempt.

He also did a cycling trip last year in the Caucuses where he climbed 30,000 feet.

His Dad passed at almost 100. His Mom is still alive in her 90s. Genetic component? Most definitely. But he's never been sedentary. So "movement" has never been arduous or unpleasant for him.

One of my favorite stories about my buddy "The Mentor." We had just completed a hellacious ride with 5,000 ft of climbing in 95 degree heat. Miserable. He kicked my ass all over the place.

We got back to his house and his Mother was perplexed.

"Aren't you his trainer, Dear?"

I mulled the question over. Admitttedly, I was a tad embarrassed.

"That's true," I finally said. "But I'm more flexible than he is."

A poolside toast to all the "older" athletes still doing it...
Old 12-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Older Than You

I'm definitely not in Chief's league but am 80 and still ride bicycles. I'm in good shape because I ride and on the bad riding days I walk. I also lift weights a little and do a lot more stretching than I ever did when I was younger.

I am NOT an athlete. I ride because it's fun. Never raced in my life. I commute to work every day possible.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:24 PM

I run with a guy who typically places first in his 80-89 age group. 10K, half marathons, full marathons...

He was out there yesterday for a 3K trail run, in the rain. 45 degrees. Didn't finish that far behind me.

Yea. 80-89.

His gait isn't pretty. His attitude is amazing.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Registered (ab)User

Oh, I'm definitely fit because I ride!

I do not ride to be fit; tbh I don't do much of anything to be fit. The fitness benefits of cycling are pure gravy to me.

...gravy that I certainly appreciate, for sure. But if I couldn't cycle I'd probably go back to being 20+ lbs heavier and having a pasty white studio tan long before I found some other activity that bestowed cycling's fitness benefits and that I enjoyed as much.