Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 PM

Nutcracker, Waltz of the Flowers. This is what happens when you spend hours waiting for your kid's rehearsal to finish...
Old 11-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Registered (ab)User

A buddy of mine posted an old clip of Three Dog Night performing "One" on his Facebook feed a day or two ago, and I've had that on auto-repeat in my head ever since.

It could definitely be worse...
Old 11-26-2018, 12:22 PM

I've been listening to a lot of piano rolls lately, and this was such a great performance and annotation that I've replayed it several times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRvVlMAjzEI (Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens arr. by Liszt played by Horowitz).
Old 12-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Registered (ab)User

For completely inexplicable reasons -- I seriously haven't heard or even thought about this tune in 2 or 3 years -- Mike Stern's "Upside Downside" popped into my head yesterday morning, and it's been lodged there looping ever since.

Again, It could be worse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrodxOw2Fg4

Last edited by Bob Ross; 12-04-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:57 PM

Primal Scream "Loaded"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_XAFqvkpw
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM

The Kinks -- Superman.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
For completely inexplicable reasons -- I seriously haven't heard or even thought about this tune in 2 or 3 years -- Mike Stern's "Upside Downside" popped into my head yesterday morning, and it's been lodged there looping ever since.

Again, It could be worse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrodxOw2Fg4
I saw Mike Stern with Miles Davis in the early 80's when Miles was on the comeback with "Man with the Horn" tour.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I've got some Trombone Shorty in the old melon...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rch9O0M8vo

William
Old 12-08-2018, 03:41 PM

Now it's Queen because I went to Bohemian Rhapsody movie and I can't get the music out of my head yet!

I'm not a professional movie reviewer, so all I can say is why or why not I didn't like a particular movie, but as far as all the nuances of movie watching that pro reviewers get into...well that's not me!

In my town the local newspaper gave the movie 2 1/2 stars out of 5 possible stars, so I was a bit leery going in to watch it due to that rather low rating, but after watching it I would have given it a 4. While the acting wasn't the best, but Queen wasn't a group of actors either, so to judge a movie by that standard just doesn't seem to fit into the realm of things. But overall I thought the movie was well done, and I was relieved and glad that the film didn't go into graphic homosexual stuff, they kind of lightly went over it just enough so the audience knew that Freddie Mercury was involved in it and eventually it would kill him, but they didn't go into all the people he had sex with or showing him in bed with another man etc, so the way the film did it I thought was tasteful enough. The film instead concentrated more on the band how they got their start and how it all came together, how music was developed and who had a hand in it, the problems the band had etc. So I enjoyed the film, the only thing I didn't really like was the quality of the speakers the theater I went to uses, but that theater has the best sound system in town! Yeah our city of 250,000 people can't seem to get a theater with decent speakers is sort of sad, and especially since Sweetwater Sound, which is the foremost music technology and instrument retailer in the world that also sells concert type of speakers as well as theater speakers is located in my city, but none of our theaters use their stuff. I can get better sound from my home stereo system, and it's not the world's most expensive stuff!

I did go to a Queen concert in San Monica California sometime in 76 or 77, I can't remember now exactly the year, but that concert was very good, and the actor in the film got Freddie Mercury stage presence down pretty good from what I can recall of how Freddie acted on stage. It was one of my favorite top 10 concerts I went to back in my concert going days. I went to so many concerts I forgot some of them, but I'm surprised my hearing is still good!!! The indoor concerts particularly were extremely loud back in those days, and the Santa Monica Queen concert was indoors and it was thunderous. Todays indoor concerts have now turned down the volume due to regulations to prevent hearing damage! So if any of you think indoor concerts are loud now...they are not remotely as loud as they use to be. The loudest indoor concert I ever went to was Boston, my ears rang for about 4 to 5 days afterwards!! And one of the Boston things was a solo guitar performance, that dang guitar thing was so loud I had to put my hands tightly over my ears it was that painful and it was still too loud with my hands over my ears; I didn't notice anyone else covering their ears but I sure had to. But despite the loudness the Boston concert is in my top 10 list of one of the best I'd been to.

I rate concerts as best by the quality of the sound and the if the band played expertly or was just banging instruments to get through the concert to fulfill their contract pledge. Some concerts I went to the band played too loud and would drown out the lead singer which I think was on purpose when you find out later the lead singer couldn't sing all that well on stage because there is no computer to help the singer like in a studio laying down tracks for a CD, or perhaps the lead singer was high on something so they were to out of it to sing well. But just because a band lead singer or the group themselves didn't sing well doesn't necessarily make it bad, the only example that I have where a band could no longer reach the higher notes they use to reach when they were younger was the Beach Boys, by the time I got to see them they were already middle age, and they didn't have that younger higher pitch vocals they use to be able to reach that made them famous, but that concert was so much fun that no one even cared, and that one is also one of my top 10.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Administrator

A side project of a few members of The Allman Brothers Band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijsritrkiAA

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GovĀ“t Mule .jpg (86.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:14 AM

Found a new group - well, new to me.

Eiffel - a French group. Digging the tunes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-lhB8GF6rE
Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 AM

Talk about music stuck in your head! I am reading Oliver Sacks' book "Musicophilia". It is about a neurological condition that causes people to hear music when none is playing. Not like the ear-worm we usually think about. Really interesting reading.

Tim
Old 12-11-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Talk about music stuck in your head! I am reading Oliver Sacks' book "Musicophilia". It is about a neurological condition that causes people to hear music when none is playing. Not like the ear-worm we usually think about. Really interesting reading.

Tim
I've heard of this condition before, but it always struck me odd as to why the "hearer" doesn't copy the music onto paper, they could be hiding masterpieces!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:54 PM

Summertime - Janis Joplin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn5TNqjuHiU
Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 PM

I've been listening to a few of the Lumineers tunes over the last few days. But generally what is on a semi permanent playlist is Shoot to Thrill and Thunderstruck by AC/DC, A good number of Brian Setzer/Stray Cats, and Queen from Live Aid.

I've been listening to quite a bit more music for me lately due to us cleaning out and reclaiming our basement family room. That has made it possible for me to actually set up my stereo to listen to. It's also a very comfortable room to hang out in again!