Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 PM

OT: What rolling tool cabinet do you like?

I'm in the market for a wide (45" or more) rolling tool cabinet. Just the base, not the upper boxes. I've heard good things about the Milwaukee (46" - has a power station), Husky (similar size to Milwaukee, but no power) and Craftsman (52" wide, heckuva lot cheaper). This will become the home to basically all of my tools (general use, bike, car, etc.) other than the frequently used bike tools and the power tools that live on my workshop shelves. Thoughts on these or others?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Randomhead

none of the ones I see at big box stores have enough drawers.

Of all the things I never thought I would say, you might want to look at the Harbor Freight tool chests. I was impressed with them last time I was in a store, and I'm generally very negative about their products.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 PM
Vendor

I've had the red 44" Harbor Freight chest for 4 years. It's mainly used for car and machining tools.
I have only one minor complaints about it - The wheel brakes aren't totally rock solid. They provide resistance but it can still be pushed. Otherwise it has been completely rock solid. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

As an aside I've moved away from peg board to tool chests (big roller for cars, small ones for bikes, home) and I like this setup much better. I'm moving soon and packing up my tools just means putting the chest in the trailer!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:56 PM

Harbor Freight. I wouldn’t have guessed. I’m normally underwhelmed by their stuff but I’ll give them a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2018, 05:28 AM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
Harbor Freight. I wouldn’t have guessed. I’m normally underwhelmed by their stuff but I’ll give them a look.

I have 3 of theirs in different sizes. If what you're looking for is a good steel box to store your tools they fit the bill. No flash but perfectly functional
Old 12-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post

The last shop I worked in bought the black tool chest w the wooden top. Drawers felt really nice. Top seemed to hold up. I'd buy one for myself.

M
Old 12-11-2018, 08:05 AM

We had a HF tool chest at the outfitters I worked for and it was pretty great.

It was comparatively inexpensive, especially if you wait for one of the coupons to pop up.

We also rolled it outdoors everyday, full of tools, and hasn't shaken loose.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 AM

Check out Home Depot, their store brand. They’re blowing them out for Christmas, good prices and different sizes and combinations and at my store a huge line-up.

I purchased a smaller cabinet last year for my wife - she does hand crafts - and it’s been very solid.

This is not a complex product to manufacture so in this case Made in China is a good choice. I’ve looked at Craiglist but used is often more expensive for a beat up product.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 AM

Consumer/entry level tool boxes are certainly good enough but I have seen some fair deals on craigslist and even posted in garage sale ads for pro level chests. Worth checking out. A heavy duty Snap-On or similar quality tool chest is a great thing to have around, I once had one for airplane mechanics that had 12" pneumatic tires to roll outside and you could stand on the drawers if needed. I think it would have made good cover from incoming fire too. Of course it had the drawback of weight.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:53 AM
coffee consumer

in some pictures David Kirk has posted, he has a a sweet stainless steel box he got at Costco....if only I'd known those existed!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Harbor Freight. You should go over to Garage Journal forums and look at tools boxes.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Randomhead

around here, the high end boxes on CL list for top dollar. Just about any tool does, actually.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 PM

I think I bought my Homak chests from COSTCO 20+ years ago and they have been fine for an amateur like me.In the years since I have seen even nicer ones at COSTCO and you may be able to order them on-line for home delivery.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 PM

If you plan on loading the drawers and using them frequently, going to need roller glides.

Last edited by Hindmost; 12-12-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 PM

another one for the harbor freight boxes.

I've got a series one 5 drawer tool cart, 26" lower cart and 44" cart.

All have been rock solid for 5+years almost 10 in the case of the 44".

My only complaint is with the 5 drawer cart. It blows out the gas shocks that lift the top every couple of years.

I was at the store a week ago, and they had the new versions in store. looked just as great and come in more than just red or black now.

compared to a homeowner craftsman roller cart I've got, they're a hell of a better value.