Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I've ridden from Boulder to Winter Park and back a number of times and have probably been on most of the singletrack trails they've added. Their route looks like a lot of fun but it will be challenging especially if some of the members of your group are having a tough time with the altitude. The climb up and over Flagstaff to Magnolia road will indicate whether your plans are realistic. If the first climbs prove tougher than expected you can skip the singletrack and still have a real scenic ride to Winter Park. Just take Magnolia to the Peak to Peak highway, head south to Rollinsville, take the dirt road through Tolland to Moffat Tunnel and then climb the road/old rail bed up and over the pass and down to Winter Park. Your Moots or hardtail will be the best choice for either route.
Good advice from gdw. I've done this a few times myself on several different setups, including a fat bike, all of which were full rigid. Rollins Pass Rd will be a rough descent on day 2, but I don't think there's anything that requires full sus.

I'll toss out another route modification to consider that may be a little less arduous climbing with a loaded bike. You could take Fourmile Canyon out of Boulder up through Wallstreet and connect with Switzerland Trail, an old railroad grade. Take Switz south and then west to Peak-to-Peak Hwy and then roll down the highway through Nederland to Rollinsville to connect with the dirt road that takes you to Rollins Pass. This route may be a few miles longer than taking Flag/Mag, but the tradeoff is the grades aren't as steep. Of course, it also puts you on the highway for a stretch, which is not desirable, but it also allows for a stop in Ned to top off water or get some food. Just an idea. Regardless, it's a fun ride and makes for a weekend adventure. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Good advice from gdw. I've done this a few times myself on several different setups, including a fat bike, all of which were full rigid. Rollins Pass Rd will be a rough descent on day 2, but I don't think there's anything that requires full sus.

I'll toss out another route modification to consider that may be a little less arduous climbing with a loaded bike. You could take Fourmile Canyon out of Boulder up through Wallstreet and connect with Switzerland Trail, an old railroad grade. Take Switz south and then west to Peak-to-Peak Hwy and then roll down the highway through Nederland to Rollinsville to connect with the dirt road that takes you to Rollins Pass. This route may be a few miles longer than taking Flag/Mag, but the tradeoff is the grades aren't as steep. Of course, it also puts you on the highway for a stretch, which is not desirable, but it also allows for a stop in Ned to top off water or get some food. Just an idea. Regardless, it's a fun ride and makes for a weekend adventure. Good luck and enjoy!
Mind sharing what was the "skinniest" setup you ran? and how was it? frame, fork, wheel and tire size? Ride everything, hike anything? etc.

Curious as I ride mostly rigid, but I know most people do not and that most recommendations will come from that perspective as such. As a dedicated rigid rider, our minimum needs may align.

Will keep the alt route recommends in mind as well. Want to make sure we have known water opportunities at a minimum.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:36 PM

+1
IMHO OP should actually do the Switzerland trail route. It is not only less steep but also beautiful. I have enjoyed this trail many times.

regarding rigid/hardtail bikes on switzerland trail -- i have used my gravel bike on it (Trek Checkpoint with 40c tires). It was ok. I would have loved to bomb down it on my full suspension but oh well. On my Trek I was slow as the road is rough but was not beat up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post

Old 12-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Talk with Will Frischkorn at Cured in Boulder (yes, that Will Frischkorn who drove a TDF break of 4 that stayed away when Garmin Slipstream was early on in riding Le Tour). When we were staying at the Wild Horse Inn in Fraser (highly recommended, owner is a friend who was a pro team mechanic and soigneur) Will and his wife Coral rode over from Boulder with toothbrushes and a few other things, stayed overnight and rode back.
Funny what a small world, especially in Boulder.

Of course my buddy organizing the ride and his wife know Will and Coral well. Will apparently is his go to guy for wine recommendations.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:11 PM
Bike Guy

Ok now my interest is peaked. Anyone ever added on to this route and ventured further West or North to make a large 4-5 day loop? Any route files you could send would be ace.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:26 PM

Consider me interested as well. There's a lot of wilderness surrounding WP and Fraser, but a lot of old forest roads and singletrack too. I'm sure there is a nice loop to be had.

The route crosses the Great Divide Route. Maybe start there?

Also some chances to extend this:
http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/bo...epacking-loop/

Last edited by Jaybee; 12-23-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Mind sharing what was the "skinniest" setup you ran? and how was it? frame, fork, wheel and tire size? Ride everything, hike anything? etc.

Curious as I ride mostly rigid, but I know most people do not and that most recommendations will come from that perspective as such. As a dedicated rigid rider, our minimum needs may align.

Will keep the alt route recommends in mind as well. Want to make sure we have known water opportunities at a minimum.
Sorry for the late response...skinniest I've used is a rigid monstercross setup with an aluminum frame and steel fork, 29x2.0 tires front and rear. It can be a rough ride going down on either side of the pass, but the east side is rougher. No trouble going up. Only spot I walk is portaging over the top of the tunnel at top, which has been closed for years. Steep hike-a-bike but it's only maybe 50 yards.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Ok now my interest is peaked. Anyone ever added on to this route and ventured further West or North to make a large 4-5 day loop? Any route files you could send would be ace.
Here's one idea...tack this course onto the ride to add a 130-ish mile loop. I've done the full loop once and various parts of it several times. It's mostly gravel with a few sections of highway and trail.