Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM

cross country bike tour with a fancy carbon bike?

Guys, I'm about to head over to Japan and thinking about biking around Japan with a road bike. This would be my first time doing multiday rides involving sleeping outside etc... I don't have a fancy Ti touring bike or a touring bike at all but I do have 2 choices of bikes, a Steel colnago with campy mechanical and alloy wheels or a carbon bike with di2 and carbon wheels. Japan is a safe country so something like my bike being stolen while I go in to the convenience store is not a problem there. lack of rear end bag carry system means I would have to carry everything on my back. a top tube bag is not and option since I don't want neither the colnago nor the carbon one to get scratched. is it possible to do something like this on a road bike carrying everything in person? what are the options if I want to attach a luggage carrying system on a road bike? neither bikes fit 28mm tires so would my butt be pulverized?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:41 PM

Buy a bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Guys, I'm about to head over to Japan and thinking about biking around Japan with a road bike. This would be my first time doing multiday rides involving sleeping outside etc... I don't have a fancy Ti touring bike or a touring bike at all but I do have 2 choices of bikes, a Steel colnago with campy mechanical and alloy wheels or a carbon bike with di2 and carbon wheels. Japan is a safe country so something like my bike being stolen while I go in to the convenience store is not a problem there. lack of rear end bag carry system means I would have to carry everything on my back. a top tube bag is not and option since I don't want neither the colnago nor the carbon one to get scratched. is it possible to do something like this on a road bike carrying everything in person? what are the options if I want to attach a luggage carrying system on a road bike? neither bikes fit 28mm tires so would my butt be pulverized?
I would purchase something with this purpose in mind. Plenty of used bikes on the forum that would work, something “cosmetically” challenged. If you do that hang bags to carry gear. Sounds like a fun trip, looking for company??
Old 01-07-2019, 07:45 PM

You can carry a ton on a big seatpack and a handlebar bag.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I would purchase something with this purpose in mind. Plenty of used bikes on the forum that would work, something “cosmetically” challenged. If you do that hang bags to carry gear. Sounds like a fun trip, looking for company??
yes I am, anyone interested please PM!!! Also I'm going to Taiwan for 3 months first then Japan for 3 months. hook me up if are in either country. Jan - April in Taiwan and April - July in Japan.

I might need to get a bike while overseas because I'm leaving in 5 days.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
yes I am, anyone interested please PM!!! Also I'm going to Taiwan for 3 months first then Japan for 3 months. hook me up if are in either country. Jan - April in Taiwan and April - July in Japan.

I might need to get a bike while overseas because I'm leaving in 5 days.

Fun! I would imagine depending on the exchange rate you could do well especially being close to the manufacturers.

Post up a request where to source bikes. I know of at least one forum member in Japan and another in Singapore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
You can carry a ton on a big seatpack and a handlebar bag.
do they not rub against the saddle rail and seatpost? I've worn out a saddle bag like that
Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...This would be my first time doing multiday rides involving sleeping outside etc... is it possible to do something like this on a road bike carrying everything in person...
I have done a lot of fully loaded touring and some partially loaded touring (meaning no tent/stove/food etc.). I would say no, you can not carry everything on your person and enjoy the tour. I would do one of the following:

A) By a used touring bike and sell it when you are done, and either buy or borrow the racks and panniers (if buy, buy used and sell at the end)

B) Use a trailer with one of your existing bikes

I hate compromises on tours. Carry the right stuff, carry it the right way (low on the bike), and enjoy the tour for what it is. If I were you, I'd buy take option A, because once you tour, you will want to do it again. It is a fantastic experience.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:18 PM

What about getting a tailfin with panniers? These look like an incredible option for use with a performance bike.

https://www.tailfin.cc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 PM
Administrator

the new style of "bikepacking" bags use no racks and are pretty adaptable to road bikes. they cinch down very tightly and compress everything and dont move much, so there is not much rubbing going on.

you can do this with the bikes you have, but it sounds like you are pretty attached to them cosmetically and aesthetically, and i'll just tell you point blank - travelling halfway around the world and touring with a bike - it's going to get scratched, scraped and roughed up a bit. if seeing a bit of paint damage on your prized bike is going to ruin your day and your trip (there is nothing wrong with that by the way, it's OK to like to keep a bike pristine), then find something you'll worry about less.

Also - re-reading what you wrote - if you're needing to carry everything you need for a few months on a bike, that's going to be significant weight, and if your tire size is limited to 25c - that's going to beat you up pretty good with long days in the saddle, and your current wheels may not even survive under those conditions if they are road racing type wheels.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Fun! I would imagine depending on the exchange rate you could do well especially being close to the manufacturers.

Post up a request where to source bikes. I know of at least one forum member in Japan and another in Singapore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah it def would be! My buddy i'm visiting in Taiwan his dad apparently knows the tops in Giant. the city I'm going to is where Giant headquarter/manufacture is located so i imagine their shops are dirt cheap.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM
but not really

You're leaving in 5 days? Sounds like you are winging a lot of this. I toured across the USA self supported in 2008. I spent a lot of time planning for it, gear and route wise.

My suggestion is to buy bike that can accommodate
- racks or trailer
- tires of at least 30mm

Sounds like you are in for a great, probably pricey adventure, being away from home for 2+ months (?). I wouldn't skimp too much on your mode of transportation. You don't need to spend $5k, but investing $1000 or more on something appropriate for the adventure will pay off.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

you definitely don't want to carry a backpack...

get the bags and just put some helicopter tape on the frame where the bags contact the frame. When you are done, peel the heli tape and it will look as good as new. With a frame bag, handlebar bag and seatpost bag you will have plenty of space.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I have done a lot of fully loaded touring and some partially loaded touring (meaning no tent/stove/food etc.). I would say no, you can not carry everything on your person and enjoy the tour. I would do one of the following:

A) By a used touring bike and sell it when you are done, and either buy or borrow the racks and panniers (if buy, buy used and sell at the end)

B) Use a trailer with one of your existing bikes

I hate compromises on tours. Carry the right stuff, carry it the right way (low on the bike), and enjoy the tour for what it is. If I were you, I'd buy take option A, because once you tour, you will want to do it again. It is a fantastic experience.
I second this. Expect any bike you use for a multi day tour to get beat up. A lot.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:37 PM

Ok just adding more details so you guys can help me with more details advice!

1. I have family in Japan so I always have a place to go back to. my brother's place is located in the middle of japan so the most I would spend on each direction is probably 5 - 10 days. then reset once i circle back to where he is.

2. won't be cooking outside carrying food etc, Japan is pretty populated and there is no rural area there. I can find restaurants even in their most "rural" areas.

3. thinking about carrying a bottle of deet and put a fk tons of them on at night and just sleep on a park bench or some, so won't be carrying a tent either. (someone please confirm if this is a good idea)

4. maybe 1 set of spear clothing or not at all, planning to dip myself in a creek or some whenever I need to and wash myself + my clothing all at once while looking like an idiot.

5. the same apply to Taiwan where i'm heading to the first few months.

6. Japan is so crowded so stuff like tire change, spare tubes sourcing won't be a problem at all.

7. considering the conditions above, as of right now things i'm planning to carry in a waist bag are: basic hygiene stuff, a few spare tubes, a co2 inflater, a tire lever, a few hex wrenches, some cash and card, my phone, a bottle of deet, a cable lock that's it!
Old 01-07-2019, 08:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

Totally doable with bike bags. I can easily car stuff for 7-10 days in a hablebar bag, seatpost bag and frame bag. You may have to get creative but if you don;t have to carry food (or cooking equipment (which I did), then you are totally fine). On a backpack though, you not only going to have a miserable time but wont be able to carry everything.

as far as no tent.... you going to get a carbon bike with di2 or a colnago and plan to sleep on a park bench?

I would rather get that rawland from wallmart and get a tent and bags and do it all properly. ride in confort, sleep in confort.