Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Kind of OK

How good is the Campagnolo/Paul Klamper combo?

... Just in case I need a back up if I cant find a left, front H11, how good is the Campy lever Paul Klamper combo?
Old 08-10-2020, 12:33 PM

Very very good.

For reference I have used Juin tech, TRP Spyre (2 different versions) and shimano XT hydros on my mtb. The spyres and juin tech are clearly worse than the klampers.

Id rate the XT 10/10--Klamper 9.5/10--Juin Tech 7.5/10 and spyres 7/10

The modulation is a little worse than then XT hydros but not by much. I would not hesitate to use the Paul Klamper and at this point I have no desire of going to hydraulic unless someone gave me the hydro stuff for free.

My ride on Friday was 90 miles, 30 miles of which was jeep roads and destroyed sandy, dusty trail, Id be driving my TRD 4wd taco very slow on these roads.

I never once felt underbraked and only got disc brake howl once when I was being a chicken on some extremely rocky descents. 160/140 rotors so the howl could even go away with a bigger rotor.

Buy with confidence, set up was a breeze...kind of. I like yokozuna compressionless housing and it was really hard to get into the shifter body but I did get it to fit and I couldnt be happier.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:48 PM
Kind of OK

Data I can use. Thank you. I may just go that route. It would be an order of magnitude cheaper than buying a whole pile of new 2015+ gear to go with the Right H11 shifter I got for cheapies.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Data I can use. Thank you. I may just go that route. It would be an order of magnitude cheaper than buying a whole pile of new 2015+ gear to go with the Right H11 shifter I got for cheapies.
Im honestly tempted to get a pair of the campagnolo actuation arms as a spare.

I see the campy version of the klamper being something that goes away sooner than the other versions similar to the campagnolo thumbies
Old 08-10-2020, 01:50 PM

I had the Spyre's first which work but I don't recommend for Campy, tried the Hy-RD with short arm which was better but they look too industrial for me, and then went to the Juin-Tech R1 which worked well but one started leaking. Now I got the Klamper with the Campy arm and it works well, good modulation and it's not going to leak in the middle of nowhere. There is not much elevation where I ride but I do need reliability.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:27 PM
Kind of OK

Well, I think I'm going to go this route, at least in the short term. I just got a message from the fourth seller that said they had the H11 left/front shifter online but couldn't find them when I asked or ordered.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:00 PM

Moved on to Campy 12 with Klampers ( w Campy arm) on our travel tandem 3-4 months ago. Had Campy 10 with Avid before.

By now we have over 1000 miles on this tandem...well, since most of our rides are on this tandem these days, probably closer to 2K. Using supplied brake pads and the ICE tech rotors. Jagwire compressionless housings as well. The Klampers work very well and unlike the Avid calipers, have more room to make adjustments.

Will be riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway next month and I plan on us riding up Mt. Mitchell.....not telling the wife, she will know when we make the left to go up. Should be a blast downhill......as long as there are no cars in front.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Well, I think I'm going to go this route, at least in the short term. I just got a message from the fourth seller that said they had the H11 left/front shifter online but couldn't find them when I asked or ordered.
Sounds like a great plan. Good to hear they work so well. I’ve debated buying a Campagnolo compatible set just in case I ever swap to disc.
Old 08-23-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Moved on to Campy 12 with Klampers ( w Campy arm) on our travel tandem 3-4 months ago. Had Campy 10 with Avid before.

By now we have over 1000 miles on this tandem...well, since most of our rides are on this tandem these days, probably closer to 2K. Using supplied brake pads and the ICE tech rotors. Jagwire compressionless housings as well. The Klampers work very well and unlike the Avid calipers, have more room to make adjustments.

Will be riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway next month and I plan on us riding up Mt. Mitchell.....not telling the wife, she will know when we make the left to go up. Should be a blast downhill......as long as there are no cars in front.
Curious of any updates on your experience? I am entertaining the questionable idea of a campy record 12 speed build with klamper brakes.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:12 AM

Still very happy with Paul Klampers and how it works with Campy 12 shift/brake levers.

Earlier this year I did swap out the front Shimano 203 ICE disc for a Swissstop 203 steel rotor. Only one ride so far.....I'm looking for a rotor that can handle the heat and not warp as much as the ice rotors.