Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 11:57 PM

I think I’ve just rationalized my next bike

This involves unloading what was once my favorite bike that’s not getting used much, selling a frame back to the person I bought it from since he wants to buy it back and it’s custom to him, as well as selling the car the my wife hates and wants me to not spend more money on. I’m hoping this and realizations about who I now am as a rider will motivate me to get rid of some other nice stuff that’s not getting a lot of use and can be replaced with items that are more suited to who I am today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
This involves unloading what was once my favorite bike that’s not getting used much, selling a frame back to the person I bought it from since he wants to buy it back and it’s custom to him, as well as selling the car the my wife hates and wants me to not spend more money on. I’m hoping this and realizations about who I now am as a rider will motivate me to get rid of some other nice stuff that’s not getting a lot of use and can be replaced with items that are more suited to who I am today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The art of letting go of that which no longer serves us is often under-appreciated.

Last edited by Clean39T; 08-10-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 AM
ZhugeLiang

Do it!

Yesterday.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:36 AM

Simplify and be happy.

That said, how much more is the new bike compared to the proceeds of the sale from the old bike, PLUS car, PLUS other stuff?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:40 AM

This is very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
The art of letting go of that which no longer serves us is often under-appreciated.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropean View Post
Simplify and be happy.

That said, how much more is the new bike compared to the proceeds of the sale from the old bike, PLUS car, PLUS other stuff?
This isn't entirely simplifying, but it is a reallocation of resources and focusing on only the tangible objects that will bring me the most joy. Of course, with bikes, it's not just an object, but something you use as part of having a good time either by yourself or with friends. I think the Parlee Z1 (selling complete) and car will cover the cost of the frame. It's easier to let go of the car if feel like it's going for a purpose. My wife has wanted the car gone for a while anyway and not so lovingly refers to it as a P.O.S. It's my P.O.S. though
Old 08-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Makes total sense to me.

Getting rid of stuff that isn't being used anymore. Gaining space back. Getting some money for it. Others will enjoy what you're offloading.

Get something you'll now use and enjoy.

Win, win, win.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 PM

So what type of bike are you aiming to get if/when you successfully complete these transactions?

Old 08-10-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciclista_tifoso View Post

So what type of bike are you aiming to get if/when you successfully complete these transactions?

It's looking like Firefly Carbon/Ti disc. Excluding steel, which I'm working on getting covered, the two bikes I find most appealing are Firefly and Crumpton. There are lots and lots of other bikes that I appreciate and find appealing, but these are what I find most exciting. I've definitely gone down many rabbit holes as a result of my relatively new focus on custom bikes. I understand most of this is pretty arbitrary anyway.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:34 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:

But still painful, I'd argue you [Dan] are an absolute expert at this operation from all I have observed...

I actually have a queue order for this operation.

Yet my 1985 SLX Nago in Saronni colorway, sold in 2015 is back here since 2018. Moral of that story is be careful what you let fly. ;O

Last edited by robt57; 08-10-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM

The more love you give, the more love you get!

YMMV.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:50 PM

I’ve always rationalized my next bike by counting on the cash I’ll get from selling one of my bikes and then not selling it. On the rare occasion I’ve sold a bike or frame, I’m pretty sure I used that cash number to discount the price of the next 2 or three bikes.

I think a key is to not ride a nice bike if you want to sell it.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I’ve always rationalized my next bike by counting on the cash I’ll get from selling one of my bikes and then not selling it. On the rare occasion I’ve sold a bike or frame, I’m pretty sure I used that cash number to discount the price of the next 2 or three bikes.

I think a key is to not ride a nice bike if you want to sell it.
So true, if you ride that nice bike after you have targeted to sell it, you always question selling it, and in most cases do not.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I live by letting go of things that don’t get use or bring joy. My 2020 bike upgrades were in the black after selling off parts.

Now I i have to figure out how to rationalize a pair of Lightweight wheels that I know I don’t need
Old 08-10-2020, 06:38 PM

Funny you should say this, and in particular make reference to who you are as a rider (and person) today, and how that is reflected in your equipment.

I've solely been into road bikes and fast rides (group or solo) for as long as I've been into riding - some 15 years now. I'm 39 and midway through last year I bought a flatbar commuter bike with clearance for 40mm tyres and v-brakes... and had an "ah ha" moment. It fit me waaayy better than any bike I've ridden, was a joy to ride, and has ultimately been the catalyst for a complete rethink about both the tempo and terrain I ride. I love packing a light lunch and coffee setup and rolling along at 3/4 pace. I don't speed up to the wheel of a rider if I get passed. I don't wear a heart rate monitor anymore...

I imagine I'm not the first to go through this transition. Maybe a different topic/thread... but I liken it to "growing up".

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways."

Like, when one stops reading weightweenies forum and starts frequenting this one instead... you just know something has changed and can never be the same again.

Good luck with your re-think, hope you end up with something that suits you perfectly.

Last edited by robertbb; 08-10-2020 at 06:40 PM.