Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I've looked at a few integrated bars/stems, most of them won't really work for me. There are multiple variables with bars/stems, including stem length, stem angle, and bar width. It's not practical to produce all possible combinations, so they just produce the combinations they think will be most popular. Unfortunately for me, I use a long stem with narrow handlebars - a combination which is usually not made in integrated bars/stems. If I were to use the version with a short stem and narrow handlebars, I'd be crunched up and lose power. If I used the version with a long stem and wide handlebars, I'd increase drag. Any gains that might be had with integrated bars/stem are lost for me, and I might even end up losing more than when using non-integrated components.

And then there's the secondary matter for proprietary bars/stems that are specific to a particular bike: If some years down the road, a rider wanted to change their fit (or if the bike is sold to a different rider who needed a different fit), would new proprietary components even be available anymore?
In the case of the Specialized front end (and some others as well), it is a two piece set-up (separate bar and stem) so you could get the stem length you want and the bar width you want, though I don't know if you could specify those lengths when purchasing a new bike. May depend on the shop.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Spec. Tarmac's are really good bikes. Many of us have 'em, myself included (although mine's much older, circa Boonen era SL2).

They've gotten bonkers (to put it mildly) on proprietry parts and esp. price, but then again hasn't everything.
I have no doubt. Its just their ubiquitous nature I suppose that gets me. If someone would give me any TOL bike from the big guys the Tarmac is what I would take. However, for over $10k of my own money I would go custom every time.

Tim
Old 08-10-2020, 03:23 PM

This forum and the custom bike world is such a little bubble. The guys I know who get new top shelf big box bikes every couple of years (typically team deals) literally have no idea what a Firefly is, for example. Half of them never even heard of Serotta (when I break out my Ottrott, I get asked what is that thing). On any given weekend here in South Orange County, CA I see multitudes of similar carbon go fast bikes. It's rare, super rare, that anything unique or custom is on the road. It's always the aero du jour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I have no doubt. Its just their ubiquitous nature I suppose that gets me. If someone would give me any TOL bike from the big guys the Tarmac is what I would take. However, for over $10k of my own money I would go custom every time.

Tim
Old 08-10-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That's why I referred to "integrated" bars/stems in my first paragraph, and "proprietary" bars/stems in my second paragraph. In this case, the Tarmac Sl7 bars/stems aren't particularly integrated at all. The only integrated part is that the steerer spacers blend in with the stem. There's is no special integration between the bar and stem, nor the stem and steerer. You could use any other stem (and most other aero road bars) and still get the aero cable routing. For this I actually applaud Specialized.
Again you're incorrect. The bars and stem are integrated with each other in two different ways: first the small removable tabs on the back of the bar, which fill in the gap to the stem:

Second is the routing of the cables from the bar to the bottom of the stem is pathed out:

Now whether the above integration would also work with other bar/stem combos isn't known yet, but as of right now the stem is specifically supposed to keep the air and cable flow smooth with the matching bars.

The split spacers are for sure integrated AND proprietary for the SL7, since they're designed to match with the headtube and the stem seamlessly.

But complaining in your earlier post that you can't get an "integrated" bar and stem combo that can be fine-tuned is a either a lack of knowledge or a lack of research since there have been many different combos released in the past three years that address aero and adjustability. Not every combo is like the USS Enterprise bar/stem of the S5, and even Cervelo themselves have gone in a different direction with their newest release, the Caledonia (granted it's only for brake cables):
Old 08-10-2020, 04:18 PM

The expert models come with standard alloy round bars. It still allows for some pretty clean routing although they are not as hidden.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:19 PM

As someone who started riding/racing in the mid 80s, into the 90s, and then stopped for 2 or 3 decades, I find threads like this to be an odd juxtaposition of confusing and enlightening. Overall, they're rather fascinating.

Sometimes I have no idea what the heck y'all are talkin' about, such as this thread.

Other times I do know what you're talking about and wonder, "When did riding a bike become so damn complicated? And expensive?"

Shoes, helmet, tires, go.

Last edited by reuben; 08-10-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Again you're incorrect. The bars and stem are integrated with each other in two different ways: first the small removable tabs on the back of the bar, which fill in the gap to the stem:
That's very neat and clean cable routing, but not what most refer to as "integrated". On my "traditional" bike, the cables run from under the hoods through grooves along the handlebar, which are covered by the tape for a smooth appearance - are my handlebars and levers "integrated"?

I don't see anything in those photos indicating that other handlebars couldn't be used. And they probably don't even need to be internally routed aero bars - a traditional round handlebar could work with that stem. I agree that the Tarmac has very smooth and clean cable routing, and you could even say the stem has integrated cabling routing, but the stem and handlebar are no more integrated together than on other bikes.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:44 PM

What are the odds that the proprietary stems/seat posts etc will be available in 5 to 10 years? I keep my bikes for a long time and like to keep my options open. Sometimes the standards change, BBs and HS sizes, so that can make things difficult. All these special in- house parts do give me pause. However, it seems the industry just wants us to replace our bikes every couple of years. Cars too I suppose,I try to keep them 8-10 years before replacing. Bikes even longer.

Tim
Old 08-10-2020, 05:59 PM

I just finished building mine today the exact same way I have my venge built. 140mm s-works venge/aero/whatever stem and 40cm enve aero bars.

There is nothing integrated about the front end, just how there is nothing truly integrated with the venge. It's cleverly hidden and routed, but definitely not integrated.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:14 PM

Last edited by reuben; 08-16-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Ahem. $21,900 for the "entry level" aluminum Specialized Allez PMSM (whatever that is) with 8 speed Shimano Claris.

https://www.specialized.com/mx/en/allez/p/171311
looks like that's the mexican site?
Old 08-16-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
looks like that's the mexican site?
Well, that's what I was wondering, but it refers to dollars (US?), not pesos.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:27 PM

I'm fairly new to road cycling and recently picked up a 2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3. Compared to my Felt F100, it was lighter, faster, stiffer, which in my limited experience, made it more comfortable for longer group rides. It also, unfortunately, was much more fragile. It's running a Campagnolo Super Record 11 speed groupset and the rear derailleur broke at the mounting bolt during a casual ride. It'll be out of action as I source a replacement, but for the short time I was able to ride it, it was awesome to say the least.

I paid $1800 for it, so right about 82% of it's original MSRP. I can see why they cost so much, although for me, buying one new just isn't financially feasible.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:07 AM

I like my SL2 better.

(Gratuitous post of recently fresh re-paint....and one of these days I'll get around to building it up.)
Old 10-16-2020, 10:40 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post
That is rather shocking. The failure mode you describe, though, doesn't make sense: the rotor is rotating in a way that would force the caliper down under braking, not lift it up. Further, the caliper is "clamped" onto the rotor under braking by pads, meaning that it literally can't twist (e.g., if only one bolt came off) or slide to one side or the other. And on Shimano, the bolts themselves are clipped after install, so even if loose, the worst thing that can happen is that the caliper rattles a bit - but only when the brakes are "off". The design is pretty robust. I'd be surprised if Campy was much a much different design.

For this to have happened as described:
1) both bolts would have to come off of the caliper somehow, meaning both under-torqued and unclipped;
2) while the brake pads were clamped hard on the rear disc, the caliper would have had to miraculously slide forward off of the disc, and then twist into the wheel;
3) hydraulic brake hoses aren't noodles, so the slide forward part would take some force, and it would need to come forward ~1.5" or more, which is a lot.

This is a very strange accident and I'd love to see pictures, and learn what the actual failure mode was (as a disc brake user!).

I wonder if there wasn't a frame defect or damage and something broke in the vicinity of the caliper. That makes a lot more sense than the caliper coming loose under braking, which I don't think (as described above) can physically happen.
I'd be inclined to agree with you. This seems much more like something is wrong with the frame. Also from having worked in a shop, there are only certain mechanics that would be assembling a bike like this. They are the best and know of any potential issue, and you can bet that the person assembling the newest of the new will be their best mechanic and have attended all the relevant Specialized training.

Otherwise, I'm still enjoying my lowly 10r SL5. Such a good ride and rim brakes.