Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 10:27 PM

I was shocked at prices of production bikes...and custom too. That is until I got the go ahead to commission a Chris Bishop custom.

But still, with a custom fillet-lugged steel frame, upgraded paint and steel custom fork, Campy SR mech 12 speed group, direct mount eebrakes, Deda cockpit, Bora WTO 45s, it's still <12K.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 PM

Here's the thing, I've got a buddy that is just faster than me...I mean he can climb faster, he can descend faster, he can pull for hours...on a good day, I can out sprint him. Put me on the SL7 and he will still climb faster, descend faster, and pull harder than me. I'm sure there will be lots of guys and gals that have the cash, love the sport and why not? of course, that was the case when Cannondale came out with the System Six...
Old 08-09-2020, 12:11 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
I was shocked at prices of production bikes...and custom too. That is until I got the go ahead to commission a Chris Bishop custom.

But still, with a custom fillet-lugged steel frame, upgraded paint and steel custom fork, Campy SR mech 12 speed group, direct mount eebrakes, Deda cockpit, Bora WTO 45s, it's still <12K.

The Bishop f/f that I was considering ordering was close to $7k. It’s a slippery alope

If your SR mech 12 was eps 12 disc yea my bishop would be 12+
Old 08-09-2020, 12:13 AM

After reading about many bike thefts in the D.C. area, with some stolen from garages, i called my insurance company to check on my coverage. Basically, they said it covers up to $2500 on bicycles. He asked if that was sufficient and I said it would cover one wheelset. To cover replacement values the cost would be $1400 per year. To lower the premium cost, I could suspend the coverage during winter months, when the risk is lower since they're in the basement.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Vendor

Here's my Paceline challenge...If you usually ride a 58cm, Colnago 54S, sized bike please call me to arrange a demo ride. Savile Road has a 2021 SWorks SL7 with DI2, Holland HG custom carbon with SR EPS disc, and a Kirk (Cento tubing) Record mech rim. Ride all three and review them here on the Paceline.
You can compare a top of the line "mass market" carbon to probably the best custom carbon frame. Then take the Kirk for a spin just because it's so special.
I'd love to hear your reviews... Steven
P.S. I used the word demo as in short, test ride. Not rental, loaner or gift
Old 08-09-2020, 08:07 AM

I can tell you that absolutely yes. And you would be surprised at how many people do in fact buy these bikes. And most are long time cyclists with lots of experience, and decided that it is very much worth it. We may not want to admit it, but that fact is, these and the comparative products from TREK are some of the most thoroughly researched and tested bikes out there. Not to mention pretty good warranties for carbon bikes and carbon wheels.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:53 AM

i thought i saw a black sl7 frameset at msrp $3k on the spec site. if im correct that doesnt seem so expensive at all compared to other options. a set of handbuilts and ultegra would put you under 5k for a stock super bike. sure if you buy into their marketing BS and buy top of the line model maxd out with everything you’re putting money in the garbage disposal this is well known. but those builds are often purchased by people who have less sense than $$

Last edited by cinema; 08-09-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
i thought i saw a black sl7 frameset at msrp $3k on the spec site. if im correct that doesnt seem so expensive at all compared to other options. a set of handbuilts and ultegra would put you under 5k for a stock super bike. sure if you buy into their marketing BS and buy top of the line model maxd out with everything you’re putting money in the garbage disposal this is well known. but those builds are often purchased by people who have less sense than $$
The $3000 model is the Tarmac SL7 frame. This version is heavier (by a claimed 120 grams, 20% more) than the S-Works Tarmac SL7 frame, which has a price of $5000. In comparison, the costs of the 2021 Trek Emonda SL (heavier) vs. the Emonda SLR (lighter) is $1900 vs. $3700. (Like the Tarmac SL7, the Trek 2021 Emonda is their lightweight road frame which has been re-designed for improved aerodynamics.)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:38 AM

A friend has a 'regular' $3k SL7 frameset on order, and will transfer the Di2 group and Rovals over from his S-Works SL6 frameset that he just sold for ~$2500, so technically* his new SL7 is just gonna cost him 500 bucks plus a new stem & handlebar...

*this is true Man Maths at work, friends
Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 AM

S-Works SL7 Tarmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The $3000 model is the Tarmac SL7 frame. This version is heavier (by a claimed 120 grams, 20% more) than the S-Works Tarmac SL7 frame, which has a price of $5000. In comparison, the costs of the 2021 Trek Emonda SL (heavier) vs. the Emonda SLR (lighter) is $1900 vs. $3700. (Like the Tarmac SL7, the Trek 2021 Emonda is their lightweight road frame which has been re-designed for improved aerodynamics.)

The new lower end Emonda SL is a pig though. The SLR is 700g and the SL is like 1150g.

Compare to Tarmac SL7 Sworks, 800g vs 920g for regular.

If going for absolute weight, I’d get the Emonda SLR. If going for value, probably still get the Trek, as long as you can stomach their garish oversized logo.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:18 AM
v a n i l l a

More musings:

The one area I would still need to get my head around is the proprietary stem and bar and if that will work for me.

It seems each year there’s something on these super bikes that is bike specific. I get that it’s a system concept

For instance the year that trek did a Chainstay behind the BB brake mount. Nope - deal killer.

So basically super bikes have creeped up from 8 to 10 now 12.

I would think any of the bikes in the AC emails I get are 12
Old 08-09-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
thanks. didn't know that. on the internets i've seen these serial killers who gleefully chop up expensive bikes and show the disadvantages of ultralight frames anyway. 100g heavier one seems like the one to get from my perspective
Old 08-09-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
More musings:

The one area I would still need to get my head around is the proprietary stem and bar and if that will work for me.

It seems each year there’s something on these super bikes that is bike specific. I get that it’s a system concept

For instance the year that trek did a Chainstay behind the BB brake mount. Nope - deal killer.

So basically super bikes have creeped up from 8 to 10 now 12.

I would think any of the bikes in the AC emails I get are 12
Musings on top of musings.

I think the integration concept is fine. However, it does get in the way for a sub-set of riders, such as myself who run smaller bikes. I need classic bend drop bars to get low enough on size 50-52cm bikes as it is and with these new-fangled integrated stems and bars, I would not be able to get low enough for the fit I want in the size I want. These bikes smaller than 50cm are compromised in handling, top tube length, and aesthetics.

For me, not a huge deal as I care little about these bikes anyway, but it's a consideration for others.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:47 PM

A friend pointed out that mechanical shifting might not play nicely with the SL7 inside the fully-integrated front end - any truth to that?
Every SL7 model offered by Specialized is either eTap or Di2, and the copy mentions 'clean routing', but is that for actual shift cables or just wires?
Old 08-09-2020, 01:01 PM

I believe they're referring to the sensation one will feel in their nether regions after writing the check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
A friend pointed out that mechanical shifting might not play nicely with the SL7 inside the fully-integrated front end - any truth to that?
Every SL7 model offered by Specialized is either eTap or Di2, and the copy mentions 'clean routing', but is that for actual shift cables or just wires?