Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 03:00 PM

how about carbon fiber handles?

https://agrussell.com/knife/Maserin-...fe--MAS-2411CF
Old 06-23-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I should have more precisely stated that SRF meat is from cattle that are a hybrid of purebred Wagyu and traditional beef cattle. I believe this beef is usually referred to as American Wagyu, and it is described as such on SRF’s website.

So SRF’s meat is clearly not from purebred Wagyu cattle, would not be as highly regarded as purebred Wagyu, nor is it as expensive. But we have found it more enjoyable than traditional prime beef.

By the way, I have no relationship, other than as a customer, with SRF.

I've gotten beef from them as well. Very good. Much better than the local grocery stores. Occasionally the local Wegmans will have some good cuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 03:24 PM

Thanks to this post...I Just got back from the butcher, dropping a small fortune on a5 wagyu, wagyu dogs (probably nothing special), house smoked bacon, jalapeño cheddar brats, brisket blend burgers, wagyu blend burgers, and his own burger blend named after the shop...
Old 06-23-2020, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Thanks to this post...I Just got back from the butcher, dropping a small fortune on a5 wagyu, wagyu dogs (probably nothing special), house smoked bacon, jalapeño cheddar brats, brisket blend burgers, wagyu blend burgers, and his own burger blend named after the shop...
that sounds great!

i must say: i have over the years tried some fancy pants hot dogs, and while they were good in an over-sophisticated sort of way, for hot dogs, i prefer the low brow Thumanns!
Old 06-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
FYI - I did get two WAGYU non-rated Tomahawk steaks. Had one last night and it was really good. Is it twice as good as a prime Tomahawk steak? Not even close. It was barely just better. My limited time with Waygu is that it's gotta be rated A4 or A5 (which costs a lot). It's not a porterhouse or T-Bone. You know how you got Sushi at the grocery store or Toro at a "real" sushi house. It's that.

My wife and I planned on once every other month Waygu A5.

Back to the OP - knives matter, just like bikes do
Old 06-23-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i prefer the low brow Thumanns!
That is my go-to when I am in a Food Lion or someplace I do not know.

Angry, have you tried Hebrew National? That's my go-to for all hotdogs. Also, try butterflying it before so that it's split and grill marks in the buns. I've had multiple teenage kids till me it's the best dog they ever had. I learned it working in a clam shack in the 80s - the owner would Butterfly the foot-longs if it was slow. That and a toasted bun . . . .
Old 06-23-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
FYI - I did get two WAGYU non-rated Tomahawk steaks. Had one last night and it was really good. Is it twice as good as a prime Tomahawk steak? Not even close. It was barely just better. My limited time with Waygu is that it's gotta be rated A4 or A5 (which costs a lot). It's not a porterhouse or T-Bone. You know how you got Sushi at the grocery store or Toro at a "real" sushi house. It's that.

My wife and I planned on once every other month Waygu A5.

Back to the OP - knives matter, just like bikes do
Last time I cooked a tomahawk steak on a cast iron skillet stove top I melted my parents microwave above the range and nearly started a fire
Old 06-23-2020, 05:52 PM

Whatever Mitch & Murray downtown offered for second place.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:22 AM

We've had a set of 8 of these https://lamsonproducts.com/ for forever. MrsTR really wanted them so we got them, proof that I married up. I have never had to sharpen them, money well spent.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that sounds great!

i must say: i have over the years tried some fancy pants hot dogs, and while they were good in an over-sophisticated sort of way, for hot dogs, i prefer the low brow Thumanns!
I'm not sure I understand the point of Wagyu hot dogs. We'd like the meat to be particularly tender before we grind it into a pulp? Or very highly marbled because we cannot figure out how to get the percentage of fat that we like?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I'm not sure I understand the point of Wagyu hot dogs. We'd like the meat to be particularly tender before we grind it into a pulp? Or very highly marbled because we cannot figure out how to get the percentage of fat that we like?
I think it is maybe for a richer flavor due to higher fat content? I don’t know. As I mentioned I’m not expecting anything special. They were 12.99/lb...

I also bought some Berkshire pork dogs while at the butcher yesterday that he brings in from Iowa. He said they are better than he has ever been able to make which I assume includes his own wagyu dogs. Grilling both tonight so will report back.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:20 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
what do you do with all the leftover scraps after trimming the best cuts? Grind them up and make hot dogs of course...…

It's just utilizing as much of the meat as possible....
Old 08-09-2020, 03:31 PM

costco

I'm circling back to this as I just learned today you can order wagyu A5 from Costco online. I don't have enough friends to warrant the 6 lbs, but thought it was interesting they offer it ($999 for 6lbs)
Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I'm circling back to this as I just learned today you can order wagyu A5 from Costco online. I don't have enough friends to warrant the 6 lbs, but thought it was interesting they offer it ($999 for 6lbs)
Wagyu A5? Aren't I your friend???? I might find a way if I were you...
Old 08-10-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
Thats a really good price, I think.