Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
https://grandwesternsteaks.com

All it took was some salt, pepper and I did it on low heat in the weber and once it got to 115 took it out to rest and then reverse sear. The reverse sear is the best way to cook in my view. The WAGYU is incredible and really isn't like anything else out there. Try it and you will not regret it.

Also, watch GUYA Foods on Youtube - did the pasteurized egg yolk and it was incredible as well.
be still my heart. i could get in trouble on this website!

thanks b33!
Old 06-23-2020, 10:24 AM

Warther Cutlery

These maybe slightly above your price range, but I've been extremely happy with their paring and sandwich knives. They hold an edge really well and feel good in the hand. They also look great with birch handles and engine turning on the steel. Free lifetime sharpening onsite, or you pay shipping.

As a side note, if you find yourself in SE Ohio, the carving museum is incredible! Tremendous work there.

https://warthercutlery.com/collections/steak-knives
Old 06-23-2020, 10:32 AM

Interesting if Wagyu is hard to get right now.

We got Sushi last night.. the local place has a specialty roll that has slivers of flame cooked wagyu on top with fish on the inside.

They called back after we ordered to tell us they had none of the beef.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_11 View Post
These maybe slightly above your price range, but I've been extremely happy with their paring and sandwich knives. They hold an edge really well and feel good in the hand. They also look great with birch handles and engine turning on the steel. Free lifetime sharpening onsite, or you pay shipping.

As a side note, if you find yourself in SE Ohio, the carving museum is incredible! Tremendous work there.

https://warthercutlery.com/collections/steak-knives
Warther knives are great to use and beautiful too.

One correction, Warther is located in NE Ohio, in the small town of Dover.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Warther knives are great to use and beautiful too.

One correction, Warther is located in NE Ohio, in the small town of Dover.
Split the difference - Central East Ohio
Old 06-23-2020, 11:23 AM

I bought 4 Misono Molybdenum Hankotsu knives for our steak knives. A 145mm (5.7") Japanese blade and they are very sharp. Easy touch-up sharpening on a wet stone every year keeps them that way.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:29 AM

I have been known for years as a good steak cooker and carver so I have had and still have MANY different steak knives. Without getting into a recitation of specific knives I will just say that serrated blades have always worked quite well and require little to no sharpening even at low price points. I most often grab Henkels 4-5" blade knife with black wooden? handles. They have very small serrations near the tip of thin flexible blades which work very well for trimming meat off twisty bones like T-Bones.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 06-23-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
...I most often grab Henkels 4-5" blade knife with black wooden? handles. They have very small serrations near the tip of thin flexible blades which work very well for trimming meat off twisty bones like T-Bones.
We also have some Henckels Steak Knives
. Ours are one piece stainless steel though. It is a modern look, and not really my favorite, but they are great knives....razor sharp after 20+ yrs (wedding gift). Great shape, and easy to cut around and close to bone.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:04 PM

These run the gamut from not so well made to beautiful, need to look carefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I suggest looking into some Laguiole steak knives, I’ve had good luck with those

Ray
Old 06-23-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
nice! where did you order the wagyu from? or did you get it local?
I have ordered from Snake River Farms several times and have always been pleased with the quality of their products.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/
Old 06-23-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I have ordered from Snake River Farms several times and have always been pleased with the quality of their products.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/
Their wagyu looks very different than what I referenced earlier, and is a lot cheaper.

The wagyu at the shop I saw was cut in square blocks and looked almost like sushi style cuts rather than steak with extreme delicate laced marbling throughout and a very high percentage vs the meat.

I had never heard the a5 before this post and being in Knoxville now found willys butcher shop and they offer it...may have to try it given we have some nice grills here to use.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 06-23-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:46 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I suggest looking into some Laguiole steak knives, I’ve had good luck with those

Ray
Agreed. And to make them really special I suggest taking a bike to the French Alps and picking up a set and bring 'em home (did that in 2006 and still love 'em).
Old 06-23-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Their wagyu looks very different than what I referenced earlier, and is a lot cheaper.

The wagyu at the shop I saw was cut in square blocks and looked almost like sushi style cuts rather than steak with extreme delicate laced marbling throughout and a very high percentage vs the meat.

I had never heard the a5 before this post and being in Knoxville now found willys butcher shop and they offer it...may have to try it given we have some nice grills here to use.

I should have more precisely stated that SRF meat is from cattle that are a hybrid of purebred Wagyu and traditional beef cattle. I believe this beef is usually referred to as American Wagyu, and it is described as such on SRF’s website.

So SRF’s meat is clearly not 100% from purebred Wagyu cattle, would not be as highly regarded as 100% purebred Wagyu, nor is it as expensive. But we have found it more enjoyable than traditional prime beef.

By the way, I have no relationship, other than as a customer, with SRF.

Last edited by Joe; 06-23-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:51 PM

got these as a "placeholder" until we can get something "nice" actually really like them. Nice weight. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-23-2020, 02:57 PM

I have the Opinels. Fantastic knives for the price. They can be had in whatever color palette you desire. Sharp enough to cut everything from a tender filet mignon to the toughest shoe leather steak you might accidentally overcook. Cheap enough to replace if they get damaged and you won't worry about some guest mistreating them. Get the Opinels and don't look back.