Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 08:47 PM
Rockstruck

The OP has surfaced a (bike)life skill which I have found myself oddly lacking at the moment, particularly in the context of maintaining domestic tranquility during the lockdown and our first heading off to college in two weeks. I simply want a modern bike--what could be more clear than that? But it's been immediately apparent that more subtlety and strategy are required. I would appeal to safety as paramount (bigger tires! full suspension!) but am still hiding the new Garmin 1030/Varia setup, which blew a good chunk of any would-be budget.

I resolve for spousal rationalization to be one skill which I improve upon in 2020 and I appreciate the strategy guidance offered in this thread. (That and bartering garage space just down the street.)

Last edited by RWL2222; 08-10-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:05 PM

I significantly downsized my bike collection this year. This week alone I sold off the excess wheels, a bike and multiple other bike related goods in order to fund a brand new bike that I ordered at the end of July. Luckily my wife is cool with my bike buying and never really gets too concerned as long as they don’t start overtaking our living space!

It felt good to move along some of the excess and put the funds back in to another bike. I think moving things that aren’t being used in order to get something you will use is a smart and fulfilling thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
The OP has surfaced a (bike)life skill which I have found myself oddly lacking at the moment, particularly in the context of maintaining domestic tranquility during the lockdown and our first heading off to college in two weeks. I simply want a modern bike--what could be more clear than that? But it's been immediately apparent that more subtlety and strategy are required. I would appeal to safety as paramount (bigger tires! full suspension!) but am still hiding the new Garmin 1030/Varia setup, which blew a good chunk of any would-be budget.

I resolve for spousal rationalization to be one skill which I improve upon in 2020 and I appreciate the strategy guidance offered in this thread. (That and bartering garage space just down the street.)
One spousal question I get is how this one is really different from the ones I already have. It's a good question and actually makes me think even more about what I get. I won't get something just because it's a nice bike, but there's got to be something compelling about it. I suppose that's also why my taste in bikes has gotten very picky. There are plenty of great bikes out, but very few that really excite me. Maybe it's just that bikes are my bling.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:05 AM

I’ve managed to identify two more bikes to unload in the future as part of the reallocation, bringing me now to three really nice bikes to unload.

Everything that will stay will have something special about it, though on some cases it will be about a connection to the past through bikes I’ve had for a long time or from a defunct builder out of New York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2020, 05:43 AM
aka RAEKWON

I sometimes thought, if I was single I would have like 30 bikes but recently started to realize the reason I only have 4 (and trying to sell one now and just have 3) is that when I have something that is not getting use it gives me extreme anxiety. I just hate to have something that expensive just sitting there... It feels good to downsize
Old 08-11-2020, 05:58 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Old 08-11-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I live by letting go of things that don’t get use or bring joy. My 2020 bike upgrades were in the black after selling off parts.

Now I i have to figure out how to rationalize a pair of Lightweight wheels that I know I don’t need
Not to worry, the Lightweight purchase will take you to the red

Last edited by MoparPorsche; 08-11-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:24 AM

Wait, you're supposed to rationalize your next bike?

Wouldn't that take time away from shopping, bidding, building, riding...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Like, when one stops reading weightweenies forum and starts frequenting this one instead... you just know something has changed and can never be the same again.
I've had one or more Italian or British racing bikes since 1972...have always considered myself, at my core, a cyclist and a roadie.

But...

I just added up my mileage to date this year.

325 miles running
40 miles cycling

All on gravel or single track.

Something changed. Not sure what. Maybe I've developed an irrational fear of distracted drivers. Maybe I'm just really enjoying running, which I started in earnest five years ago, and trail running more recently...

Maybe I'm finally getting over my equipment consumption addiction.

IDK

Just weird to be posting this on a cycling forum...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-11-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
The art of letting go of that which no longer serves us is often under-appreciated.
- OR - Could it be just a ruse to avoid intimacy issues and fear of comittment to that one, special...er...bicycle??
Oops!