Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Time & Bikes

There are at least two Westchesters. Here in the county’s northwest region, the cars have been much like pre-Covid, aka, not bad.

This is a matter of density, of course. Were you thinking the southern parts?

And perhaps another reason. After seeing what upstate folks have said about tourists, I’d guess this area mixes lower density with no real tourist traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Now that I'm here in Columbia County, NY, I have sought the dirt and back roads and have, in almost two months, had no memorable bad driver experiences.

Have you ever ridden a bike in Westchester?

I used to say that riding a bike in Westchester was by far the most dangerous thing I used to do.

Glad that's behind me...now all I gotta do is keep from having a heart attack climbing all these hills!

SPP

Last edited by DHallerman; 08-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Also don't forget that some, not all but some older/old drivers can't see are in the mix. Last weekend a buddy of mine got clipped by in his words, "a lady that was old as f**k". She not clipped him he went over a guardrail and down an embankment. He said she was so clueless that she didn't even know that she did it.
This happens all too often. It's an artifact of a society that "gives" someone a license at age 16 and almost never re-tests their skills again. I've had several close calls with elderly drivers over the years who clearly no longer had the physical skills to safely operate a vehicle. One women turned right into a group I was cycling with. It was an absolute miracle that she threaded the needle between two riders. I turned into the drugstore parking lot where she parked. As I pulled up next to her car, I saw that her right arm was completely useless. She had to reach over the steering column with her left arm to shut off the car and remove the key from the ignition. When I asked her if she realized she had nearly killed several cyclists, she stated that she didn't see any of them...

Greg
Old 08-10-2020, 02:24 PM

I haven't read all of the posts here but what I see when I go out at 6:15 am to beat the heat is drivers running red lights. No other cars on the road they figure what the heck and blow through it. I get on the bike path quick.
OT but on weekends the bike path is to be avoided. WAY too many people mixing with bicycles.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:15 PM

Right after the lockdown started, it was the best cycling I've experienced here in Santa Barbara. Empty mountain streets where I'm usually wary of cars around blind corners, no cars downtown, etc. made it cycling paradise.

Now that things are returning to normal-ish, and reading through some of the posts here, I'm glad I live in an area where people are generally considerate. Occasionally get "that driver" who swings way close when the lanes are plenty wide, but it seems like they exist everywhere.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:23 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I've been on the road in Dutchess and Columbia (counties - NY). Columbia is far, far better, but also less populated. I've had hardly any issues in Columbia County - Dutchess is mostly fine as long as I stay on the eastern side of the county (Dover-Dover Plains is always a moronic crap shoot). As for Westchester - I did ride south a bunch of times this summer and things were definitely a lot better than they have been in years past.

What's been more alarming are the increased number of license plates I've seen on cars indicating they've come from COVID land.
Wait. Aren't we all from Covid land at this point?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 PM

New Yorkers can complain about the same old routes but I sure am thankful for Henry Hudson Drive (River Road) more than usual these days.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkslksj View Post
Right after the lockdown started, it was the best cycling I've experienced here in Santa Barbara. Empty mountain streets where I'm usually wary of cars around blind corners, no cars downtown, etc. made it cycling paradise.

Now that things are returning to normal-ish, and reading through some of the posts here, I'm glad I live in an area where people are generally considerate. Occasionally get "that driver" who swings way close when the lanes are plenty wide, but it seems like they exist everywhere.
Might want to scroll down to the graph...not sure of your definition of 'normalish'..

https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...arbara-county/
Old 08-11-2020, 07:40 AM

Having ridden for decades, including a few of those bike commuting yr round in Boston area, I’ve seen it all.

In general, find motorists to be more conscious of bikes on the road and kinder towards cyclists (a lot more people on bikes today than say the 80’s).

That being said, the pandemic is fraying people’s nerves and have seen more “incidents” in last several months than normal. I chalk it up to a mental health thing and hope it subsides in time. For now, just sticking to less traveled roads and try to get out early.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysmooth View Post
That being said, the pandemic is fraying people’s nerves and have seen more “incidents” in last several months than normal. I chalk it up to a mental health thing and hope it subsides in time. For now, just sticking to less traveled roads and try to get out early.
Murder is up about 40% than normal over the last decade. Times are tense. Now, most murders are between people who know each other in some way, so, more family disputes in lockdown, but, that kind of anger carries over into the rest of the world.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:51 AM

I have found in my area it's been pretty tame this season. Don't think I've been yelled at, flipped off, and only honked at a few times so far. Lots of riders on the roads and trails so maybe people are more conscious of riders now. Just hope it lasts when/if things get more "normal."
Old 08-11-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
There are at least two Westchesters.
And then there's West Chester, which is a couple of hours south, in PA...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-11-2020, 12:17 PM

Boston area here.

Overall people are fairly friendly to cyclists here. Nothing like some of the places down south that get posted here.

However I would say relative to normal:

- A few months ago it was better than normal... less cars on the road and people weren't stressed out going to the office or going to pick up kids so the drivers were more polite.

- As of today probably a little worse than normal, we're a lot closer to "normal" right now and there's maybe 60% normal traffic and the drivers are starting to be rude again and they're speeding a lot.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:08 PM

Reporting from over in my part of the Catskills. Traffic definitely picked up a lot compared to the lovely emptiness of May but I’ve still had nothing but positive interaction with drivers on my rides. Some Terribly Silly Toyota Siennas in some of the little town centers clogging up traffic with u-turns and double parking but otherwise I can’t think of a single negative experience I’ve had. Actually been getting tons of nods/waves from drivers just saying hello. I do tend to avoid all the potentially busy areas on the weekends. Ride over this way Paulo!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:17 AM
Big Bike Love

I've been yelled at three time in the last two weeks. One "GET OUT OF THE ROAD!" when I was waiting at a red light in a turn lane. And two "You shouldn't be on the road, it's too dangerous" (?). All three from younger males driving pickup trucks. Really strange as I haven't been yelled at on the road around here for nearly 15 years. I'm thinking two might have been the same guy on different days.
I haven't seen any accidents, but on my daily route, I've noticed lots of areas of broken glass and plastic where something's gone down.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
I've been yelled at three time in the last two weeks. One "GET OUT OF THE ROAD!" when I was waiting at a red light in a turn lane. And two "You shouldn't be on the road, it's too dangerous" (?). All three from younger males driving pickup trucks. Really strange as I haven't been yelled at on the road around here for nearly 15 years. I'm thinking two might have been the same guy on different days.
I haven't seen any accidents, but on my daily route, I've noticed lots of areas of broken glass and plastic where something's gone down.
Look at the bright side, at least they did not coal you. A little progress I guess.