Trek Emonda SLR 12 63.16%
Pinarello 1 5.26%
Colnago 4 21.05%
Shimano component tier? 4 21.05%
Carbon wheelset choice? 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2021, 11:02 PM

NewBikeShopper

My bike was stolen last week (pic attached), it was an older ride (pic attached), but many hours in the saddle and personal customizations make it difficult to let go.

I’m trying to replace it as soon as possible, hard to do with everything out of stock due to the pandemic, opinions & recommendations are greatly appreciated (3 frames at bottom):

I ride roughly 150-200 miles a week, weekdays are flats and weekends are climbs. I’m 5’11” with a slightly larger torso and as I’ve gotten older my setup is less aero than it used to be. My preference is to invest wisely in the best, take very good care of it and ride it for 10+ years.

Here’s the rub, I’ve tested the Trek Emonda and I can ride away with it this weekend. Because of the industry’s supply & demand issues, the Pinarello and Colnago are anywhere from 4-8 months wait and there’s nothing in my size to test ride and I’ve never been on an Italian frame before.

- Trek Emonda SLR OCLV 800 (size 56)
- Pinarello Dogma F12 (size 55)
- Colgnago C64 (size TBD)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 968B6884-ECBA-42E2-B46C-F638C254F4F4.jpg (66.0 KB, 289 views)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:08 PM
Boeuf Chane

Welcome to the forum. : )

Have you considered getting something generic right now, then take your time to consider all your options and get the "perfect" replacement when (if?) the world gets back to normal?
Old 01-12-2021, 01:18 AM

I am considering that, but haven’t been able to find my size at a digestible price. I should probably hop on eBay for that...
Old 01-12-2021, 02:53 AM

The best is something too mysterious, too variable to be asserted from reviews. Given the pricing altitude of your list I wouldn't consider any of these bikes without a test ride.

In our current world I think a used frame in your general size is a wise, if temporary, alternative. In a similar situation 3 years ago and unable to make real progress I ended up:
- using BikeCad.ca to figure out and design "my" frame geometry
- buying a 2007 Ridley Excalibur frameset that seemed to fit
... best $350 ever.
(That I spent mucho $$ later on questionable "upgrades" should not detract from the point.)

Oh, and for best groupset, I am told by people who know better that Ultegra DI2 is the thing.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:05 AM

Ok, this is not going to help you that much. I owned a C60', I currently own a 2020 Madone and I have ridden the Pinarello. There are questions here of fit, performance/technology, weight, and style/cosmetics.
I can't help you with style although I think a C64 will likely stand the test of time for style. I enjoyed my C60, but decided after several years that there was nothing that great about it. I am more leg than torso, and I think the C series geometry favors my dimensions. Compared to the Pinarello, the riding position was more relaxed and less race like. Make no mistake that this is a full on race bike whose limit of performance would never be approached by me. I have heard others agree that at speed I was moving faster than I deserved to be moving. This is not an aero bike, and not particularly light, if either of those matter to you. Someone will always be interested in buying a used C series.
I thought the Pinarello was more race like, but punishing on bad roads so I ruled it out.
The Emonda is very light and of course aero. I can't comment on the ride as I have not tried one. The Madone is heavier, obviously more aero, but the ISO speed really does smooth out the ride.
If you think you might prefer a Euro style ride quality (just different than the American Trek), Italian styling with a surprising amount of comfort, try a Bianchi. The Olre 4 is not as light as the Emonda, but is smoother than the Pinarello. So the bottom line is, if you want a climbing machine with the latest tech, get the Emonda. If your heart leans towards any of your other choices, you will likely love any of them. I would guess resale value of the C64 might be a bit better than the other choices. I loved the ride quality of the Bianchibut the geometry did not work for my longer legs.
If you really want something that will likely be timeless for 10 years, how about a steel Pegoretti or something titanium like a Moots?
See? I told you this would not be helpful...
Old 01-12-2021, 03:07 AM

Buy a second hand workhorse on ebay and take the time over the purchase is what I'd be thinking. I've rushed into things that were available now so many times in my life. It leads to regret.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:58 AM

Are you discounting the Trek because it says Trek on the downtube?

Haven't ridden it, but everything I have read says this is a top of the line bike that will compare to anything out there. It has some Trek specific designs, but seems like it will stand the test of time, at least as good as your prior ride.

All that said, I have learned that if my heart isn't in a bike, it isn't worth it.

Good luck in your search.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/2021...d-bike-review/
Old 01-12-2021, 06:17 AM

CyclingTips review

CyclingTips had a very favorable review of the Emonda SL Pro6 which I believe is the next step down in the range?

What if anything makes you reluctant to take the Emonda?

Bikes are like stereo speakers, across a range they are all similar but with different nuances. But the comparisons end when you get them home and enjoy them. Good luck with your decisions...

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/2021...d-bike-review/

funny, the previous post hits on some of the same themes...
Old 01-12-2021, 06:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I’m trying to replace it as soon as possible, hard to do with everything out of stock due to the pandemic, opinions & recommendations are greatly appreciated (3 frames at bottom):
Well, 4-8 months doesn't sound like, 'as soon as possible'...but yer itching to ride..go find something that fits ya and works to ride...then start a search for something that will become the 'life time' bike, spec'ed the way ya want.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:58 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well, 4-8 months doesn't sound like, 'as soon as possible'...but yer itching to ride..go find something that fits ya and works to ride...then start a search for something that will become the 'life time' bike, spec'ed the way ya want.
my thoughts exactly...

I would not wait that long for a bike.... a custom sure but not a pina or colnago, would probably just go on classifieds here or ebay and get something used for less and start there.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Administrator

you seem to be looking for a 55-56 sized frame. what size was that felt? looks like a 49-50 to me. are you sure you know what your ideal fit is before you go looking for a new bike?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:13 AM

See? I told you this would not be helpful...

Haha...still helpful, but also created a few additional questions
Old 01-12-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
you seem to be looking for a 55-56 sized frame. what size was that felt? looks like a 49-50 to me. are you sure you know what your ideal fit is before you go looking for a new bike?
My size is actually 55.6 and my preference the last few years is to use spacers for a more upright position. With the integrations on the Trek and Pina that’s not an option. I bought the Felt from a buddy who raced it for 1 year, we’re the same size, but I can’t remember the size of the Felt anymore.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:23 AM

Where do you live?

If you're anywhere near a bigger city, I'd echo OP's suggestion and grab something now to tide you over, then start a longer search.

I'd also echo Angry's comment that your former Felt looks more like a 52-ish frame and you're asking about 55-56cm frames. That sounds odd to me. //edit: sounds like you clarified that issue.//

I'd hop on your local craigslist and grab something close to your fit that's close to you (geographically). Get that close to your preferred fit by changing out the saddle, stem, handlebars, and crank length as needed. Then start the hunt for the long-term replacement. Personally, if I were down to zero bikes and needed a quick replacement, I'd want to verify that a used bike was close enough to my fit that I knew it would work. I'd drive up to a few hours to check something out. Buying used now lets you plan on re-selling later without too much of a hit, or relegate that used bike to trainer duty and lousy weather.

Good luck in your search!
Old 01-12-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
Are you discounting the Trek because it says Trek on the downtube?
Good point, the logo is large and several reviewers point that out! If I could choose I’d go with the matte black finish, but the red/blue Segafredo finish is acceptable.

Tags
colnago, pinarello, shimano, trek, trek emonda carbon