Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2024, 07:33 AM

what is your fav tube type tire in 700x30-32

I have been riding either Schwalbe pro1 tube tires or GP5000 tube type in the 700x30 or 700x32. Happy with both tires in terms of ride and getting about 1500 miles on the rears before they start getting thin. been using schwalbe aerothan tubes and have had a few flats with the Schwalbes and knock on wood none with the GP5000's. Interested to hear what other non tubeless riders are using and having good luck with. my goal is a few 5 hour 100's so prefer a durable but also easy rolling tire.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:46 AM

I switched from my tried and true GP5000s to the Specialized Mondo in a 32 and have been very pleased with the ride. Although a tubeless ready tire, the casing is relatively supple, gives good road grip, better puncture resistance than Schwalbe (IMO) and so far seem to roll pretty well.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I have been riding either Schwalbe pro1 tube tires or GP5000 tube type in the 700x30 or 700x32. Happy with both tires in terms of ride and getting about 1500 miles on the rears before they start getting thin. been using schwalbe aerothan tubes and have had a few flats with the Schwalbes and knock on wood none with the GP5000's. Interested to hear what other non tubeless riders are using and having good luck with. my goal is a few 5 hour 100's so prefer a durable but also easy rolling tire.
Rene Herse 32 goes great with tubes.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:12 AM

Corsa Pro/Corsa Control, all day.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:16 AM

For what its worth -

You specified "tube type tires", but any clincher tire can be used with tubes, and will work with non-tubeless rims. So if there is a tire that otherwise has your ideal properties but is designated "tubeless", it can still be used on a non-tubeless wheel with tubes.

(Also of note is that true "tubeless" tires have nearly disappeared, and most new tires today are more appropriately called "tubeless ready". The difference is that true "tubeless" tires have an air impermeable layer inside their casings and will hold air without the use of sealant, whereas "tubeless-ready" tires don't have the air impermeable layer and generally need sealant to hold air. This means the performance of a "tubeless ready" tire with a lightweight tube is virtually identical to the same tire used with sealant.)
Old 05-19-2024, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
For what its worth -

You specified "tube type tires", but any clincher tire can be used with tubes, and will work with non-tubeless rims. So if there is a tire that otherwise has your ideal properties but is designated "tubeless", it can still be used on a non-tubeless wheel with tubes.

(Also of note is that true "tubeless" tires have nearly disappeared, and most new tires today are more appropriately called "tubeless ready". The difference is that true "tubeless" tires have an air impermeable layer inside their casings and will hold air without the use of sealant, whereas "tubeless-ready" tires don't have the air impermeable layer and generally need sealant to hold air. This means the performance of a "tubeless ready" tire with a lightweight tube is virtually identical to the same tire used with sealant.)
While you can use tubeless tires with tubes, it's worth pointing out you get the extra weight you probably don't want.
One example for the OP's desired 30mm width. A set of these in tubeless will add 180g to your wheelset weight.

Vittoria N.Ext Tubeless 30mm: 310g https://vittoria.com/products/corsa-...46921116746016

Vittoria N.Ext Tubetype 30mm: 220g https://vittoria.com/products/corsa-...46921117008160
Old 05-19-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
Rene Herse 32 goes great with tubes.
I have RH RTP and Naches Pass on two different wheel sets for my 26er but I have heard that the RH 32 is pretty flat prone. I have had a fair number of flats with my RTP and Naches.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
For what its worth -

I have heard they are harder to mount. I can mount the GP5000 and pro one with bare hands without too much issue. Not sure how true the mounting thing is tho as haven't actually tried it myself.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
While you can use tubeless tires with tubes, it's worth pointing out you get the extra weight you probably don't want.
One example for the OP's desired 30mm width. A set of these in tubeless will add 180g to your wheelset weight.

Vittoria N.Ext Tubeless 30mm: 310g https://vittoria.com/products/corsa-...46921116746016

Vittoria N.Ext Tubetype 30mm: 220g https://vittoria.com/products/corsa-...46921117008160
great point.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Corsa Pro/Corsa Control, all day.
are you running them with tubes? thanks
Old 05-19-2024, 10:03 AM
Back At It!

haven't tried the "Pro" version yet, but just put a set of these on my Anderson in the 30mm size (just regular tubes currently) and couldn't be happier.. been riding them in 28s on my Couer D'Acier as well (with latex tubes and they are sublime).. and can't beat the price..

https://bikecloset.com/product/vitto...clincher-700c/
Old 05-19-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I have RH RTP and Naches Pass on two different wheel sets for my 26er but I have heard that the RH 32 is pretty flat prone. I have had a fair number of flats with my RTP and Naches.
That's not been my experience and there's typically a lot of crap on the roads around here. The extralight RH have been super tough compared to a Schwalbe g one speed in 35 and they last much longer.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:04 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Gotos; GP4K with latex tubes for quite a few years now. Horded those 28mm tires as that inflate out to about same as a RH Stampede 32. I also got 32mm GP5, can't notice a difference to the 28mm GP4. I know a lot of folk swear they are superior.

I have some 30mm Pierelli Zero TLs with TPU tubes. It was my first TPU test and planned to convert to tubeless but didn't bother after a GP5k tubeless failure on another bike that was so messy and getting a boot and tube in with all the sealant mess is a bridge I intend to never cross again.

Side note; 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC tires like the GP4 ran large. 29ish depending on rims. I used these as winter tires and never flatted one. My brain thinks they are slow due to that stupid Rolling resistance web site. But there are extinct probably.

Also done well with Hutchinson 28s. Have bought these for 18.00 each in bulk and have extras and have come to get great service/feel etc with latex. Not mounter up any TLs with TPUs yet, but will when the time comes. I've not got back to road TL yet, expect I will at some point.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:24 AM

On a newish bike I've only used Pirelli P Zero, tube type, 30c. They come true to size on a 21mm internal width rim. I'm using TPU tubes.
3000 km so far, only 1 puncture. They seem to ride well and grip well but
I can't really compare them to anything else, it's my first time riding tires this size. I'm also looking for recommendations from others. I will probably move up in size to 32c once they wear out.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
haven't tried the "Pro" version yet, but just put a set of these on my Anderson in the 30mm size (just regular tubes currently) and couldn't be happier.. been riding them in 28s on my Couer D'Acier as well (with latex tubes and they are sublime).. and can't beat the price..

https://bikecloset.com/product/vitto...clincher-700c/
These, in the Corsa version in 32, with a latex tube. Very sweet ride.