Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Interesting article about ineos

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/artic...-sportswashing
Old 09-22-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
It's the hobby du jour for oppressive regimes and corporations that produces lots of externalities. To wit

-Qatar (practitioner of modern slavery) and PSG and 2022 World Cup (the latter obtained via bribery);
-Abu Dhabi (not as bad as Qatar, but no shining beacon) and Man City;
-Dubai (comparable to Abu Dhabi) with its cycling team and ubiquitous football shirt sponsorship;
-Bahrain with its cycling team;
-Saudi Arabia with its attempted takeover of an English club; and
-Various tentacles of the PR China regime and football clubs across Europe
-Orica (horrible environmental record) and its cycling team.

Last edited by echappist; 09-22-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:55 AM
cmg

Thanks. It's always interesting to see what the company's do that sponsor.

"The Tour de Trump attracted the cream of international professional cyclists who, for two years in a row, raced a multi-day stage race on the Eastern seaboard.

One of the teams on Trump’s signature event was Sauna Diana, a Dutch squad sponsored by a brothel."
Old 09-25-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
And there’s more... moving abroad to Monaco, so he can dodge taxes, all the while being pro-brexit. No principles, just expedience.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ineos-domicile
Old 09-26-2020, 02:24 AM

Shall we all agree to make an ethical stand and refuse to buy carbon bicycle frames, forks and components?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
Shall we all agree to make an ethical stand and refuse to buy carbon bicycle frames, forks and components?
If you're a real rider you already eschewed carbon for titanium and steel long ago 💀
Old 09-26-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzxc View Post
If you're a real rider you already eschewed carbon for titanium and steel long ago 💀
Is there anyone here who doesn’t have a single carbon fiber component on any of their bicycles? Don’t forget the soles of your shoes or your saddle rails or your derailleur cage.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:25 AM

I was being a bit facetious of course, but yeah I don’t think I’ve ever really ridden with no carbon anything in at least a decade. I don’t like non carbon forks for example, so even a metal frame without a carbon fork isn’t preferable.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzxc View Post
I was being a bit facetious of course, but yeah I don’t think I’ve ever really ridden with no carbon anything in at least a decade. I don’t like non carbon forks for example, so even a metal frame without a carbon fork isn’t preferable.
I was being a little bit silly too - your comment made me think about how common carbon is in cycling. I’ve got one bicycle, my townie that is a rigid steel MTB with low end components and a cheap everything, and a carbon water bottle cage, because that’s what I had available when I built it.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:23 PM
quadropheniac

I think that 1/2 of the Pro Peloton lives/rides/trains/dopes/evades taxes in Monaco...

https://www.monaco-tribune.com/en/20...ons-in-monaco/

https://cyclingtips.com/2014/03/the-...best-cyclists/
Old 09-26-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijichf View Post
I think that 1/2 of the Pro Peloton lives/rides/trains/dopes/evades taxes in Monaco...

https://www.monaco-tribune.com/en/20...ons-in-monaco/

https://cyclingtips.com/2014/03/the-...best-cyclists/
...and Andorra.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:49 PM

Regarding Jim Ratcliffe, my informed view is that his involvement in sport and cycling in particular is genuine and not meant to whitewash his petchem business. He is a real athlete and sport enthusiast who takes great care of himself and encourages the same of his employees. At 67, he's an avid runner and cyclist and and competes in triathlons and endurance races. He takes his new employees on treks across Africa, loves to fly fish and ski and has been to both poles.

In addition, he is very very British (Manchester to be specific) and proud of his working class upbringing and nationality (yes I know he avoids taxes by living in Monaco). He wants to see Britain beat the rest of the world and has no problem spending his money trying to make that happen. This is another reason I believe he bought Sky. You only need to look at his investment in the America's Cup and his goal of winning the cup for Britiain. He also made a bid for Chelsea but 2b wasn't enough.

Finally, and maybe more to the point, Jim Ratcliffe couldn't give a hoot what anyone thinks of him. Many of these billionaires (e.g., Bezos, Musk, Dyson, Ratcliffe) are similar in that respect. They want to change the world, do the unthinkable but they generally don't care if people like them or what others think about them. Their egos won't allow it. They will continue to do what they want, how they want.

To think that JR is trying to sportswash or greenwash his business makes me laugh.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
Regarding Jim Ratcliffe, my informed view is that his involvement in sport and cycling in particular is genuine and not meant to whitewash his petchem business. He is a real athlete and sport enthusiast who takes great care of himself and encourages the same of his employees. At 67, he's an avid runner and cyclist and and competes in triathlons and endurance races. He takes his new employees on treks across Africa, loves to fly fish and ski and has been to both poles.

In addition, he is very very British (Manchester to be specific) and proud of his working class upbringing and nationality (yes I know he avoids taxes by living in Monaco). He wants to see Britain beat the rest of the world and has no problem spending his money trying to make that happen. This is another reason I believe he bought Sky. You only need to look at his investment in the America's Cup and his goal of winning the cup for Britiain. He also made a bid for Chelsea but 2b wasn't enough.

Finally, and maybe more to the point, Jim Ratcliffe couldn't give a hoot what anyone thinks of him. Many of these billionaires (e.g., Bezos, Musk, Dyson, Ratcliffe) are similar in that respect. They want to change the world, do the unthinkable but they generally don't care if people like them or what others think about them. Their egos won't allow it. They will continue to do what they want, how they want.

To think that JR is trying to sportswash or greenwash his business makes me laugh.
I kind of agree, although I do think that people who don't care how they are thought of in life do actually think about how they will be thought of in death. This may be his legacy play.

I'd never heard of Ineos before he started 'going public' with his sports investment strategy. Now the company is a target for every SJW,
environmentalist and blogging wannabe journalist. The sportswashing accusation makes no sense.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:32 AM

///v\

Last edited by Clean39T; 09-27-2020 at 11:05 AM.