Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 08:24 AM

I have a small and not terribly interesting PEZ collection that doesn't tend to see the light of day much. Some vintage, some just because. When my parents got divorced I spent Sunday with my mom, and it gave us something to do. Go for a drive, find an antique store, look for pez (or whatever else my mother was hunting for).

Now she occasionally takes my girls up to the PEZ museum in Connecticut, and subsequently they have a ton of them, though all have been opened and used.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:29 AM

Been into watches for a long time.
Now I just collect Panerai watches. Pretty deep down the rabbit hole with the owners group Paneristi...

other than that I just have lots of bikes

__Ryun
Old 09-22-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Wait. You need to tell us more about the duck foot stool. That thing is amazing.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'd say what I collect but it would cause all sorts of thread drifts..so I won't

POY, Post Of Yesterday...
What tease...
Old 09-22-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
1 DSLR, 1 Mirrorless (both pretty old now)
About 9 lenses? 7 for the DLSR, 2 for the mirrorless
At least 6 different flashes
Umbrellas, background, reflectors, stands, tripods, etc..
Got a nice drone this year
I'm in a similar boat, but I have a lot more equipment. But I don't think of it as collecting, so I avoid guilt, angst, etc.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I have the same problem. Been a nature wildlife shooter most of my adult life. At least with slides I was pretty good about going through and chucking the bad ones after each shoot. With digital I shoot so much more, process and share what I like but am terrible about actually scrubbing them all and deleting the junk. I'm up to around 6 TB's of hard drive storage solely for my digital work, it's a mess. One day.....

WOW!!! Beautifull animal.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Speeding tickets.
Slinky blondes with lingerie issues.
Empty bourbon bottles.

It´s 2020. We are not collecting women anymore.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:04 AM

Beach cruisers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6087 (2).jpg (144.4 KB, 183 views)
Old 09-22-2020, 09:07 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Debt.

I can't really say that collect anything, though there are a lot of things that I certainly have far more of than I need.....watches, knives (mostly puukkos and Japanese kitchen), boots, packs, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun View Post
Been into watches for a long time.
Now I just collect Panerai watches. Pretty deep down the rabbit hole with the owners group Paneristi...

other than that I just have lots of bikes

__Ryun
That place has changed a lot over the years. I seldom visit these days but when I first started going there, there were only about a dozen active posters.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
I gave an extensive collection of both single line kites and sport kites that goes back 20 years.

Some are one of a kind or very limited runs. Many made by famous makers from around the world.

I recently decided to pare down and keep only this with real sentimental value.

BK
Really cool. Any pics?

Last edited by XXtwindad; 09-22-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:29 AM

Any Schwinn Typhoons with 2 speed Bendix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLQ View Post
Beach cruisers
Old 09-22-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
Assorted tiki glasses and decorations. Also music. Stopped trying to count the CDs above 5k and they are now thankfully in storage. Have 22 feet of vinyl. Only reasonable way to measure it after a certain point. Haven't bought CDs in years, but still pick up a few inches of new vinyl a year.

The thing I didn't know I collected was tools. After reorganizing the tool boxes this weekend I have a full box for the house, a focused box for the bicycles, another set plus motorcycle tools in the garage, and another set of basically everything other than specialty tools. I somehow have a single set of SAE sockets and I assume I'll find another when I tackle the garage properly next week.
I dont know jack about vinyl but i have a few friends that do. They say stockholm is kinda of a mecca for collectors any truth to this? There are more than a few vinyl shops here so i wouldent be surprised. Just where i live i have likely close to 10 shops in within 4 blocks or so. They seem to do well, i was always bit surprised by that but i guess its just that im ignorant in this field.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Debt.

I can't really say that collect anything, though there are a lot of things that I certainly have far more of than I need.....watches, knives (mostly puukkos and Japanese kitchen), boots, packs, etc. etc.

That place has changed a lot over the years. I seldom visit these days but when I first started going there, there were only about a dozen active posters.
Yeah it was more active in the early 00s. Seems to mostly have migrated to facebook groups.

Along with the watches, have a pretty large collection of straps from various makers I have built relationships with over the years

Ryun
Old 09-22-2020, 10:02 AM

Art supplies, mainly water color brushes Isabey and Winsor & Newton

I need to use them and not collect them
Old 09-22-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I have the same problem. Been a nature wildlife shooter most of my adult life. At least with slides I was pretty good about going through and chucking the bad ones after each shoot. With digital I shoot so much more, process and share what I like but am terrible about actually scrubbing them all and deleting the junk. I'm up to around 6 TB's of hard drive storage solely for my digital work, it's a mess. One day.....

Yah I'm in a similar situation. I don't know how many TB off the top of my head right now.

A few years ago I said "**** it" and set up a 16TB NAS in the house... so the problem is pushed off until I hit 16TB.

But I've mostly slowed down. I've lost a good bit of interest in doing all the computer parts.. and as a result I'm way less likely to take my 5D3 out and shoot 250 RAW photos in a day that chew through many GB of stuff I'm not going to get to do much with. I'm way more selective.

I have a 300mm F/4. Not really into the mega range but having to carry a diaper bag around or whatever else when my kid was young kind of cured me of any desire to carry big lenses around and get mediocre nature photos, and I started concentrating on people. Nature and Landscape at this point are so commoditized no one can tell my pictures apart from the ones taken by thousands of other people.

It's like we got so much photography shoved in our face I got sick of it. I think it's part of how I started getting into making music instead 7 years ago, and I'm just as likely to take a pencil drawing kit + pad of paper out now as the big camera.

Last edited by benb; 09-22-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I dont know jack about vinyl but i have a few friends that do. They say stockholm is kinda of a mecca for collectors any truth to this? There are more than a few vinyl shops here so i wouldent be surprised. Just where i live i have likely close to 10 shops in within 4 blocks or so. They seem to do well, i was always bit surprised by that but i guess its just that im ignorant in this field.
really depends on what youre digging. If i had to choose 1 country that was the record mecca Id say its either Japan, Germany, or USA--Brazil would probably be on my list but Ive never been so cant verify