Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 09:00 PM

Speeding tickets.
Slinky blondes with lingerie issues.
Empty bourbon bottles.

Last edited by rccardr; 09-21-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:14 PM

I guess the only thing I really collect are Kaleidoscopes. I'm constantly scrounging antiques shops and the like for them. Pretty much stick to a rule of finding them in person vs going on Ebay.

This is pretty much all of them in a pic I took this spring when I took them all down to clean up.

Usually they are on display throughout the house.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:31 PM

Used to collect fountain pens - mostly all gone now - gave a few to my daughter and kept a few classics.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:34 PM

thoughts and facts.

Stopped collecting music at about 1500 LPs and 7000 CDs.

Back in the early days of the internet we nerds were into collecting fonts. Yes, typefaces. I stopped at somewhere around 4000. Matter of fact; the guy who taught me desktop design used to quip 'He who dies with the most fonts wins', which is true but I realised I'd never use them all. Basically, if something can't be said with one of the Helvetica Neue family you ain't doing it write.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I guess the only thing I really collect are Kaleidoscopes. I'm constantly scrounging antiques shops and the like for them. Pretty much stick to a rule of finding them in person vs going on Ebay.

This is pretty much all of them in a pic I took this spring when I took them all down to clean up.

Usually they are on display throughout the house.

Wait. You need to tell us more about the duck foot stool. That thing is amazing.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post

I also have a large selection of signed books by my favorite authors. Only missing a Tom Robbins (don't currently care enough to go hunting for one) and a Robert Heinlein (way tooo rich for my blood).
Wow...two authors that I haven't heard mentioned in a long time, esp. Tom Robbins. I wrote Tom Robbins many, many years ago asking him if he'd autograph one of his books if I sent it to him, and he was more than happy to oblige and sent it back with a personalized message. Not sure how to reach him these days, but might be worth a try.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:32 AM
Shrimp123

time. I collect time. I have managed quite a few seconds, traded some for minutes and hours. But, most of them, i hold onto in years.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:26 AM

Antiques and White Ironstone (serving dishes) most made in England circa 1840 - 1890 - have around 150 pieces.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

I'd say what I collect but it would cause all sorts of thread drifts..so I won't
Quote:
Speeding tickets.
Slinky blondes with lingerie issues.
Empty bourbon bottles.
POY, Post Of Yesterday...
Old 09-22-2020, 06:25 AM

Bones, rocks and sea shells
Should have become a naturalist, just didn’t like biology, preferring physics

Oh, almost forgot, I collect toy tops. Actually quite interesting in that you can find them in virtually any country and culture

Last edited by Johnnysmooth; 09-22-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:41 AM

I am skeptical-ish of collecting things, such that I like pretty minimal, functional things, mostly. For instance, I really like bikes () and wristwatches, but I have always maintained a pretty minimal (but occasionally blingy) stable, and only own one watch (a tank-like tool).

That said, we acquire original artwork when time/money/inspiration line up. We have a few found pieces in the house, and a few we paid for. I hope to own more. So far we have mostly landscapes, but I hope to branch out to still lifes, and if I can afford the quality/style/movement art I'm after, then portraits, too. I like realism, though my impression (heh) is that good realist art is a pricepoint or three beyond what we can afford lol!

Also, I just got a cool freebie stereo, and I've been acquiring a vinyl record here and there over the years in anticipation of said stereo. I want to develop a workmanlike classical music collection. I'm into Baroque, classical, and to a lesser extent Romantic stuff.

I guess for being 35 I like dorky, old stuff. For now, I'm just buying diapers, though.

Edit: I'm looking around at our books, and I can't justify the claim of skepticism about collecting. nvm).
Old 09-22-2020, 07:17 AM

Modestly priced original art from mostly local artists. We have a small house so we're kind of maxed out anyway at this point. Small stones from hiking trips around the US and the world, but very disorganized about that and probably couldn't tell you where most of them came from at this point! And they're not displayed or anything like that.

My wife has collected heart-shaped rocks for many years. In 2002 I was on a Buddhist pilgrimage to Mt Kailash in western Tibet. We are walking around Lake Manasarovar at over 15,000 ft. A friend and I climb up into the surrounding hills as we make the circumambulation. All of a sudden I see it - a reddish heart-shaped rock, about 5-1/2" long. Crap! Now I have an extra 3-1/2 pounds in my pack for the trip. It was appreciated, i must say.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Wait. You need to tell us more about the duck foot stool. That thing is amazing.
LOL, saw it at an antique store one day while hunting for kaleidoscopes. It was so ridiculously cool and made me laugh. But I resisted. Kept thinking about it though and finally made the 3 hour drive back down to get it one day. I called first and it was surprisingly still available.

It's all solid wood. The top and feet are like butcher's block that's been carved. I just need to repaint it still. No idea who made it or anything.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:11 AM

Weird thing but one more that I forgot.. and definitely seems to fall into some kind of possibly unhealthy collector issue.

I have at least 100k digital photographs either I or my wife took and I have a bunch of boxes of slides and negatives I took before digital really took off.

It's a major PITA at this point. Don't even have time to do cleanup. Computers are all always full.

I have a lot of photo crap as well but don't know if I call it a collection cause I don't really have 2 of anything and it's more like tools.

1 DSLR, 1 Mirrorless (both pretty old now)
About 9 lenses? 7 for the DLSR, 2 for the mirrorless
At least 6 different flashes
Umbrellas, background, reflectors, stands, tripods, etc..
Got a nice drone this year

Deep down I want to sell most of the photo gear and just do iPhone + drone. It would be freeing in a way.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Weird thing but one more that I forgot.. and definitely seems to fall into some kind of possibly unhealthy collector issue.

I have at least 100k digital photographs either I or my wife took and I have a bunch of boxes of slides and negatives I took before digital really took off.

It's a major PITA at this point. Don't even have time to do cleanup. Computers are all always full.

I have a lot of photo crap as well but don't know if I call it a collection cause I don't really have 2 of anything and it's more like tools.

1 DSLR, 1 Mirrorless (both pretty old now)
About 9 lenses? 7 for the DLSR, 2 for the mirrorless
At least 6 different flashes
Umbrellas, background, reflectors, stands, tripods, etc..
Got a nice drone this year

Deep down I want to sell most of the photo gear and just do iPhone + drone. It would be freeing in a way.
I have the same problem. Been a nature wildlife shooter most of my adult life. At least with slides I was pretty good about going through and chucking the bad ones after each shoot. With digital I shoot so much more, process and share what I like but am terrible about actually scrubbing them all and deleting the junk. I'm up to around 6 TB's of hard drive storage solely for my digital work, it's a mess. One day.....