Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 03:36 PM

My wife has boxes and boxes of baseball cards and comic books.

Some hold great value, I believe.

I am ready to trade them for $$$ what's the hold up I wanna know.

SPP
Old 09-21-2020, 03:38 PM

No collections right now, but I am starting to think of retirement hobbies. Since bike racing and parenthood became parts of my life, there hasn't been time for collecting/hobbies. My daughter is less than two years from being "off the payroll" and nearly all my debts (really, just a mortgage) are paid off. Depending on health care (cost, availability), I plan to retire in a few years. Then the interests that have been on hold will bubble up. One thing I may collect: Ertl tractors! It would be fun to collect and restore them. Once a farm boy, always a farm boy...

Greg
Old 09-21-2020, 03:39 PM

US Coins, vintage Japanese motos (Kawi triples).
Old 09-21-2020, 03:39 PM

Vintage post cards of my small (pop ~3,000) home town in the Finger Lakes and nearby areas. Most are from the years 1900-1920 when these seemed to be quite popular to send to family, friends and lovers. The old photos of familiar roads and scenes are fascinating and I love the short and often cryptic messages and I admire the often beautiful handwriting in fountain pen, even with terrible grammar and spelling. I even have a few that a few are signed with family names I recognize of descendants still living there- old man's nostalgia for a time I never knew.

Last edited by zennmotion; 09-21-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:45 PM
commuter racer

I have a massive Campy bike part and wheel collection and a pretty stellar Japanese pottery collection. I need to downsize both!
Old 09-21-2020, 03:54 PM

DA7400, 7800, old Campy Record (pre-9 Speed), old Cinelli stuff, and King stainless cages seem to be about the only things that I (apparently) collect. I have several hobbies and interests but outside of bikes and bike stuff, like to keep the material fooprint small.

Texbike
Old 09-21-2020, 03:57 PM

Records, Ceramics, and Zo

Old 09-21-2020, 04:01 PM

I used to collect comics and pulp era sci fi. As part of getting the SV, the deal was I had to dispose of things with value that I did not use or really need. Cut both in half. Have about 300 comics and 300 books left.

I also have a large selection of signed books by my favorite authors. Only missing a Tom Robbins (don't currently care enough to go hunting for one) and a Robert Heinlein (way tooo rich for my blood).

I also recently got my stepfathers record collection, I need to go through it and sort out what is worth selling. Lots of early pressing stones, beatles, led zeppelin, pink Floyd and moody blues.

Also have a fair sized booze collection, but stopped seriously drinking (so stopped collecting) about 2 years ago, so it sits in the basement. Most sought after item in the collection would be a bottle of rip van winkle 10 yr old.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I used to collect comics and pulp era sci fi. As part of getting the SV, the deal was I had to dispose of things with value that I did not use or really need. Cut both in half. Have about 300 comics and 300 books left.

I also have a large selection of signed books by my favorite authors. Only missing a Tom Robbins (don't currently care enough to go hunting for one) and a Robert Heinlein (way tooo rich for my blood).

I also recently got my stepfathers record collection, I need to go through it and sort out what is worth selling. Lots of early pressing stones, beatles, led zeppelin, pink Floyd and moody blues.

Also have a fair sized booze collection, but stopped seriously drinking (so stopped collecting) about 2 years ago, so it sits in the basement. Most sought after item in the collection would be a bottle of rip van winkle 10 yr old.
I might be interested in the records. I could definitely help you ID the stones/beatles/zep major label rock stuff and give you an idea of whats worth ebaying vs taking to a shop.

I dont really collect that kind of stuff--but I wouldnt mind helping you get a clue of whats worth something.

Now if your stepfather had small label rock/hippie stuff/jazz Ill holler
Old 09-21-2020, 04:17 PM

OT: What do you collect?

I have a collection of rare/ important historic books, renaissance and antiquarian etchings/engravings and a few antiquarian religious plaquettes/plaques.

I also collect properties. I like to buy land and dilapidated properties and rehab or improve them for rent or sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 09-21-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:18 PM

If you're going to talk music I still have about 400 CDs on hand.

I lost my cassette & LP stuff a long time ago as a kid. CDs were taking over when I was a teenager.

I could also maybe say I have an issue with collecting sheet music & books that are way beyond the time I have to put in to actually learn the songs.

E.x. I have the giant books of every single part of every song AC/DC ever wrote, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers, and on and on. I don't have all of Pink Floyd but I have some of them.

Some of those are really impressive books. The Led Zeppelin one is a gorgeous hardback that's huge like a fancy bible.

And most of those books are totally impractical to try and put on a stand to actually use... but they are not particularly expensive most of the time and if someone asks me if I want a gift for my birthday or something they're an easy thing.

Pretty sure I have every single piece of paper my guitar instructor ever handed to me, or every single thing he ever emailed me and got printed out as well. Rationally I shouldn't necessarily feel the need to keep it all but I do.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:20 PM

Let's see... I have fledgling collections of watches, vinyl, film cameras, thinkpad laptops, specific designer clothing, in the past I also collected CDs and retro video games.

Anything I develop an interest in, there's a danger of them stacking up. But during quarantine and slogging through a paycut/saving due to fear of layoff I've begun to reevaluate what's important to me (financial security, buying a house for my wife+I, building kid fund) and stopped/sold off quite a few things. Luckily, I've found that generally I get back what I paid for things, so I'm just out the opportunity cost and inflation.

Threads like these are fascinating and dangerous to me. I find people's enthusiasm both energizing and infectious.

Last edited by retropean; 09-21-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Strong Walker

Unpaid bills and books about the Marx Brothers and Buster Keaton
Old 09-21-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
If you're going to talk music I still have about 400 CDs on hand.

I lost my cassette & LP stuff a long time ago as a kid. CDs were taking over when I was a teenager.
I have something over 600 CDs, but the album collection is mostly gone. I have a 1950s or early 1960s Hi Fidelity box, which includes AM, FM, and a switch on the arm for changing between 45, 78, and 33.3 rpm records. I believe it was a gift to my parents when they got married, or they bought it shortly after. It's classic, and I paid to have it brought into working condition, but the sound is pretty horrible. On the other hand, that's part of its beauty. If I were a baseball fan it would be fantastically retro to listen to a game on that. On AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:19 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
…books about the Marx Brothers…
I love the Marx brothers. Maybe you'll enjoy this story, which feels true to me but I can't say with certainty.

I live within a stone's throw of Hillcrest Country Club, whose membership in large part consisted of movie industry jews excluded by LA & Wilshire Country Clubs at the time. The Marx brothers were members.

At some point, the club management decided that things were getting a bit too loose for their liking so they instituted some new attire rules. Namely, while members could remove them on the outer holes, shirts were mandatory on #1, #9, #10, and #18 (the holes departing/approaching the clubhouse).

Shortly after instituting these rules, Harpo was seen approaching the clubhouse on the ninth hole. Adhering to the rules, he had his shirt on.

No pants, though.