Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Two thoughts:

- Use a Top Tier (TM) fuel that is certified to contain appropriate detergent additives.

- Use Techron as necessary for additional fuel system cleaning.

With these two actions, your fuel injection system should stay reasonably clean.

Greg
this
Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
SeaFoam believer here. And just generally for any gas engine as periodic preventative maintenance. For a car that is driven regularly, maybe twice a year, that's all.
Me too. I had a snowblower that would not start - cleaned carb, new gas, new plug, filter etc. Sea foam to the rescue. I have never thought to use it in car engines - makes sense. Will now. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:52 PM

Diesel Service treatment every tankful 9 months out of the year. Winter Treatment when the temps get close to freezing. Seems to help keep the high pressure fuel pump lubricated. Also protects against out of season spec diesel fuel from gelling in cold weather...

For the TDi, of course.

For my gas motor, just top tier gasoline, no additives. I trust Mobil or Shell to figure it out.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-21-2020, 07:02 PM

i’ve used lucas and seafoam.

i haven’t noticed any performance differences
Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
SeaFoam believer here. And just generally for any gas engine as periodic preventative maintenance. For a car that is driven regularly, maybe twice a year, that's all.
+1 for Seafoam
Old 09-21-2020, 11:07 PM

We used Sea Foam in our boat which had an injected 454ci Chevy and 100 gallon tank. We had no problem with stale gas some of which had to be several months old.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
I think the main think to look for is a PEA cleaner. Techron is one of them.

Not sure what the formula is these days, but my grandpa has sworn by that stuff since probably 30 years ago when he was having issues with his motor either stumbling, stalling, or something else(i dont remember exactly), but he mechanic at the time recommended that for it and it cleared the issue right up for him.

But yeah, it could be that things have changed over the years and the amount of PEA is very little now.
You are spot on about PEA. Polyetheramine is a top-tier detergent proven to be the best at cleaning fuel systems.

Manufacturers don't have to give the exact amount of PEA in their products, but Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane, and Amsoil PI have the highest reported percentage of PEA in them. In my gas cars I use a bottle of Redline Si-1 every 5k miles.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I've read various articles about injector cleaners which has lead me to confusion at best.
What type of vehicle/engine.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
What type of vehicle/engine.
We have 2 Subaru Crosstreks
Old 09-22-2020, 11:26 AM

Re:

I always add a bottle of Gumout All-In-One Fuel System Cleaner to my tank during oil changes... Can't say I notice a difference, but I don't usually have any problems either... I tend to keep my cars 10+ years and I've been doing this since high school auto shop in the '70's.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
We have 2 Subaru Crosstreks
You might get some benefit from using a fuel injector cleaner but it would be marginal at best if you use top tier gasoline. If your vehicle(s) have direct injection engine(s) I wouldn't bother with fuel injection cleaners. Direct injection systems use higher fuel pressures and that should keep the injectors pretty clean for some time.

Best to talk to your trusted Subi mechanic.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:36 PM

Owned my '87 Toyota 22RE EFI since new, never used any injector cleaner, never let the gas get stale, always bought the cheapest gas I could find (which usually means its the freshest). Still runs as perfect and clean at 253K as it did when new. I think those cleaners are a gimmick.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
Owned my '87 Toyota 22RE EFI since new, never used any injector cleaner, never let the gas get stale, always bought the cheapest gas I could find (which usually means its the freshest). Still runs as perfect and clean at 253K as it did when new. I think those cleaners are a gimmick.
I agree completely. Until she runs rough then maybe it can be proved out otherwise don't bother.

Gas powered anything likes to be run daily. More so with the 10% ethanol in the gas.