Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 01:18 PM
Vendor

I just bought a 1989 road bike I've always wanted and I have two classic lugged frames on order. So I love classic road bikes.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Lots of interesting and intriguing responses here. I think I did a disservice to my question though by saying "classic" - it seems in most peoples' minds here, that means full steel and tubulars and retro/nostalgia. It's almost easier for me to feel the pull to those. I was thinking more modern-classic I guess, from the '00s through the '10s...

For me, these bikes below are emblematic road bikes from a bygone era - they are not what is chosen for setting fast times, having the most comfortable ride, or stopping well in the wet - so why (other than affordability, obviously) would one still choose them over something newer and more modern? Is it only nostalgia, or do these do something and evoke a feeling that surpasses the feeling of being on the latest/greatest/fastest/supplest option out there?

And I'm probably undercutting my thought here because the bikes below can fit reasonable rubber..

I could have been clearer in my response--I think I fit in the retro-modern category--new brakes/shifters/wheels because they are mostly better--but I will happily hang them on a classic steel frame and enjoy the ride. I don't really have much interest in going back to skinny tubes/box section rims and tubulars--that's for the retro grouches...

Currently--in rotation:

1990s filet brazed Simonetti (prolly Tange)--cf Time fork, quill stem, Campy 10 double

1990s lugged 853 Nobilette steel fork, quill stem, Campy 10 triple

1990s lugged Serotta CSi, F1 carbon fork, quill stem Campy 10 triple

2010(?) Look 585 full carbon Campy 10 double--fits your group of "classic" rides--and I would agree. To me it makes little difference in my ride over the steel choices

(One of the first three will likely go--if I can get clear what I like about each... All are shod in 25s now except the Nobilette since the only tubular wheels and tires are the ones that I got from you, and I haven't tried wider ones yet...)

Still missed--the Colnago CT-1 (plush!) and the Tecnos--both still 1" forks, but carbon... and they would fit into my version of "classic" as well. And the Peter Mooney--all steel, retro mod and truly a frame that hearkened back to the frames I raced on, but with something else going on as well--completely dialed. And the Nobilette reminds me of it...

The others that I shed--the Mercian 531 (skinny tubes), the Concorde EL-OS (Italian) were more like the bikes I grew up racing on--they were nice rides but I definitely had the 'been there, done that' reaction once I rode them a good bit, so they are not missed...

Last edited by paredown; 09-19-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
"Another argument is that such bikes keep us connected to the heart and soul of road riding as we once knew it to be - the times when our heroes were young and we dreamed of all things Italian. Maybe the shock of small irregularities in the pavement jarring up through 23s at 100psi still serves a purpose - or of wrestling a 39x25 up a 10% grade. Maybe it connects us to the images we have of ourself on the bike - or of what it means to ride with panache, efficiency (and cartilage) be dam'd."

And therein lies the rub,
as the Bard would say.
I caught a glimpse of myself
In the mirror the other day.
Only so long you can hold Dorian Gray
At bay.

The hard cold truth
Doesn't need a skilled sleuth.
I'm a prime example
Of a MAMIL
And one that like his teeth
With all their enamel.

So give me lower gearing
So that my ligaments won't be searing
And toss in some fat tires
For that will surely slake
My cycling desires.
Paceline Magazine/Newsletter material.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Lots of interesting and intriguing responses here. I think I did a disservice to my question though by saying "classic" - it seems in most peoples' minds here, that means full steel and tubulars and retro/nostalgia. It's almost easier for me to feel the pull to those. I was thinking more modern-classic I guess, from the '00s through the '10s...

For me, these bikes below are emblematic road bikes from a bygone era - they are not what is chosen for setting fast times, having the most comfortable ride, or stopping well in the wet - so why (other than affordability, obviously) would one still choose them over something newer and more modern? Is it only nostalgia, or do these do something and evoke a feeling that surpasses the feeling of being on the latest/greatest/fastest/supplest option out there?

And I'm probably undercutting my thought here because the bikes below can fit reasonable rubber..

I got it from the first post classic road bike meaning stage race geometry numbers, 700 wheels, clearance for 25 tires maybe 28.
Nothing beats the exhilaration i feel on a good day on a fast road bike. Cornering at speed, bike balanced and going where i want without any effort, accelerating quick and easy.
Maybe because it´s fast, maybe because it´s simple, maybe because it goes the distance but the road bike is the number one.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:04 PM
Forward the Foundation

Clean39T

My newest bikes are '03 and '05, modern to me.
If I want to ride like the good old days, I have a pukka '54 Claud Butler New All Rounder. (brake cables have been fixed, since pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0615131522a.jpg (104.3 KB, 258 views)
Old 09-19-2020, 02:05 PM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...02&postcount=5

Quote:
I think we're going need to see some proof
Old 09-19-2020, 02:12 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:

I live in an area with very steep hills and crappy pavement. Not to mention lots of dirt trails.... every time out, I've enjoyed the ride more on the Alliance.
I think this - road conditions and to a lesser extent terrain, have a lot of influence here. Our local roads are mostly chipseal and "lumpy" for lack of a better description - not so much broken pavement with gravel, just a lot of bumps everywhere. The attributes of all road bikes with wider tires tend to help make the ride a bit more relaxed here than for instance the Dgma F10. that I picked up. But if I lived say in the areas of Italy France where I've done a lot of riding, a "classic road bike" whether newfangled carbon or "old fashioned" steel with 25mm tubulars would get 90+ percent of my miles.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:12 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
Well said, but I still lie to myself and pretend I am strong. If I don’t believe it no one else will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes. i still think i am 30 y/o, and that i should still ride like that!
Old 09-19-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
yes. i still think i am 30 y/o, and that i should still ride like that!
Wait, wot? We're not?

That could explain a lot, but I'm disappointed (in myself).
Old 09-19-2020, 02:38 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
Ok I'll bite - being new at this I've never had a real road bike. This is where Paceline needs to help.

My past 5 years of cycling started when I moved into the city with my now wife, sold the car, and began commuting full time on bike share. The next year we moved a little further from work (1 mile to 2.5 miles lol) and I bought a cheap hybrid. Two years ago I decided I wanted a "real" bike to do more than commute, and found a nice touring bike (Jamis Aurora Elite). I put 2,500 miles or so on it that year between commutes, group rides, camping trips, and joy riding. Then I decided it was time to get serious and built up a Black Mountain Cycles Road+ from the frame up, including my own wheels. I put 2,500 miles on that in less than 6 months.

I just had a kid and haven't ridden a bike in almost 5 weeks. I've been dreaming of building a true road bike to compliment my stable of the touring/grocery getter/baby hauler (flat bar basket conversion) and the Road+. I've considered just building a nice 700c wheelset for the Road+, but why not dream of N+1 while I'm stuck holding a crying pooping baby for 12 hours a day?

So what is it Paceline? What kind of bike should I lust after as my pure road go fast bike? I probably don't have the fitness for a true race bike, but something with endurance geometry and 28c tires? Go skinnier and vintage? Budget aluminum with carbon fork? Cheap chinese open mold carbon frame with modern components? So many choices I'm getting analysis paralysis.

... First world problems.
BMC Teammachine SLR02 $3199.
Basso Venta, $3795
For comparison, i just spent around $2600 on a new Ciocc steel frame, Dura Ace 7402 8-sp group, and Mavic GEL280 8-sp Campy wheels. Dura Ace group and wheels were purchased used. i ride n 21mm tubulars which is going to freak ppl out!
Robin
Old 09-19-2020, 03:04 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Wait, wot? We're not?

That could explain a lot, but I'm disappointed (in myself).
yeah, i disappoint myself all the time. I think I should TT like I did in 1983!

oh, i got to the velodrome in Rock Hill, SC last week for Track 101. At the end, the instructor took some pics and a video. I thought I was doing some “hot laps” but when i saw the video i was prob goung 18mph! hahah! The track bike was a Pinarello, alum frame, carbon fork, clinchers. Bike felt sluggish compared to my Ciocc.

Last edited by Tz779; 09-19-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
BMC Teammachine SLR02 $3199.
Basso Venta, $3795
For comparison, i just spent around $2600 on a new Ciocc steel frame, Dura Ace 7402 8-sp group, and Mavic GEL280 8-sp Campy wheels. Dura Ace group and wheels were purchased used. i ride n 21mm tubulars which is going to freak ppl out!
Robin
Those are definitely too pricey for my budget. Maybe "lust after" was the wrong terminology.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:41 PM

Stop posting all this retro stuff! As Dan clarified and seemed obvious (to me) in the OP a classic road bike is a standard road bike. What many would call it a race bike. Doesn’t imply old.

I’m currently on a road trip chilling in my van for the night at a friendly truck stop. I have my MTB and my gravel bike with me. Gravel bike is rocking 40s. I did a 53 mile road ride today and it was great. Averaged 18.9 mph and had a fun time. Now if I brought my road bike I would have taken some KOMs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4084515214/overview

For me, I love my road bikes. Sure fat tires are fun but man I could feel the drag, both aero and rolling resistance, on my ride today. I do use my gravel bike on the road a lot because I love riding it but it will never replace my classic road bikes - of which I have another on the way!

Old 09-20-2020, 12:40 AM

I'm in the semi-classic camp ('02-'14 era). Integrated shifters, clipless pedals, rim brakes, 25mm tires... that sort of stuff.

I have three Moots, a Merlin, 3 Madones, and a Storck that all sort of fit that description. I've certainly spent a ton of money on disc all-road, gravel, and 'cross bikes, only to discover time and again that I wasn't really interested in that sort of riding day-in and day-out. For a specific event or race they work, and then I just go back to my favorite Moots Compact.

Currently I own a Ritchey Breakaway CX that has never been ridden on anything but the trainer. I have a Lynskey Urbano project that has been sitting 90% complete in a corner of my workshop for the last three or so years. No interest. If I finished it, I would probably ride it a couple times and then sell it, as I have so many times before.

Some of us are just wired that way.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Stop posting all this retro stuff! As Dan clarified and seemed obvious (to me) in the OP a classic road bike is a standard road bike. What many would call it a race bike. Doesn’t imply old.

I’m currently on a road trip chilling in my van for the night at a friendly truck stop. I have my MTB and my gravel bike with me. Gravel bike is rocking 40s. I did a 53 mile road ride today and it was great. Averaged 18.9 mph and had a fun time. Now if I brought my road bike I would have taken some KOMs.

For me, I love my road bikes. Sure fat tires are fun but man I could feel the drag, both aero and rolling resistance, on my ride today. I do use my gravel bike on the road a lot because I love riding it but it will never replace my classic road bikes - of which I have another on the way!
Exactly.

Now then, why do you choose handbuilt, steel, and classic lines over the latest/greatest/fastest aero-carbon-disc wunderbike???

I think all of this is answering the question for me anyway.

I'm going to need more bikes.

I do really enjoy riding something that is unapologetically a road and road only machine -- it's what I loved about the Dogma F8.

And I also really enjoy something with a level top-tube and a steel fork and standard gearing -- it's what I loved about the pristine CSI I had a year or more ago, or the Ellis Strada (the one w the surface rust).

Plus as Mark pointed out, I'll need a townie bike for sure.

And we haven't gotten into talking MTBs yet either.

Good thing I'm moving into a home with an oversized two car garage shortly.

------

Tags
moldy nostalgia