Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post

You are also missing the point.

Title of article in previous link:

"Specialized agrees to pay $700k for Roubaix trademark in the US"

Roubaix is a city in France. It's been around a lot longer than Daytona.

You joining two different timeframes. The original Roubaix issue happened many years(2013) before S bought the name rights from ASI(2019) when they filed for bankruptcy. I'm very familiar with what happened between Dan and S.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I really don’t think this is the case. When the news broke, I could find absolutely no evidence that ASI held a trademark for Roubaix in Canada but Specialized clearly did.

Here is the registration from 2007

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...gth=25&start=0

The opposite was true in my search for the US. ASI owned this one. The link above seems to support that. It specifically says Specialized agreed to buy the US mark. No mention of the Canadian mark.

Again, I don’t know if Specialized had an agreement with ASI that bared them from claiming the mark in Canada but they did hold it. It came up in a cursory Canadian trademark search. Whatever the case, I though the whole ASI “global trademark” statement looked a bit silly. The whole thing was a bit silly.
To say nothing of the public revolt Special Ed faced when they tried to make the claim. Even the court of public opinion was most definitely not on their side.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:25 PM
Vendor

Quote:
I really don’t think this is the case. When the news broke, I could find absolutely no evidence that ASI held a trademark for Roubaix in Canada but Specialized clearly did.

Here is the registration from 2007

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...gth=25&start=0

The opposite was true in my search for the US. ASI owned this one. The link above seems to support that. It specifically says Specialized agreed to buy the US mark. No mention of the Canadian mark.

Again, I don’t know if Specialized had an agreement with ASI that bared them from claiming the mark in Canada but they did hold it. It came up in a cursory Canadian trademark search. Whatever the case, I though the whole ASI “global trademark” statement looked a bit silly. The whole thing was a bit silly.
Actually, ASI/Fuji in their agreement barred S from filing for a trademark in general, not just in Canada. That's why S caved in the end. They weren't allowed to file at all. ASI/Fuji almost canceled their agreement over it! It was really bad for a bit. I know people at ASI/Fuji, which of course isn't them anymore but the people are still there.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:29 PM

Last edited by tomato coupe; 07-06-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Europe is getting big for gravel. The US is still the biggest. It's kind of like how 29'ers went. The US led the 29 wheel size charge. Europe took longer for that. Germany especially so for some reason. But they caught up. Gravel is the same. Asia is VERY different. They are more road than gravel. It hasn't caught on as much as Europe.
The opportunities for gravel riding in Europe are endless. Even more than road riding, which is also vastly superior to most of the US.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Actually, ASI/Fuji in their agreement barred S from filing for a trademark in general, not just in Canada. That's why S caved in the end. They weren't allowed to file at all. ASI/Fuji almost canceled their agreement over it! It was really bad for a bit. I know people at ASI/Fuji, which of course isn't them anymore but the people are still there.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was odd and figured there was a contract behind the scenes. I think ASI would have been far better of stating this vs the communication that I saw referencing a bogus global trademark.

Back to more fun topics. I’m excited for Campagnolo 1x, but this doesn’t look very useful on a road bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1AF1F6FF-99B1-4024-B79E-1DE3D194E26D.jpg (113.6 KB, 168 views)
Old 07-06-2020, 06:33 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
I don't care about the timeline or any particulars of what transpired with the Canadian coffee shop.

One more attempt:

From SecureYourTrademark.com:

"You may trademark a city name if it is used as a brand name for your products or services. For example, “NEW ORLEANS” is a registered trademark for a line of doors and window guards. Trademarking a city name does not mean that you own the city name, nor does it mean that you own the city. Trademarking that city’s name will prevent other companies from using the city’s name in association with a product or service similar to yours."
I never said it couldn't be trademarked. I know it can. It comes down to who owns it and what it's being used for.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
MTB-style ratio gaps starting with 12, 14, 16t... work perfectly well for general riding. Only for competitive riding was the 1t ratio gap ever needed.

With today's mere 11t cassettes, this means that even 11-42t can give tight enough ratios for general riding, and precludes the need for any big ratio gap between chainrings.

I'm not a fan of 1x though due to the severe chainline, particularly when the factory-set chainline is biased toward the smaller end of the cassette.
So often this is due to anticipated/marketed largest tire sizes that are never actually used.

So make it a tight double, heck make it a triple even, and keep the chainring ratio gaps user-friendly rather than the annoying 16t gap that is really starting to seem so painfully dated (even as it is still near it's peak of oem spec).

Those big awkward chainring ratio gaps made so much sense when we were riding 6-speed freewheels. Yet today we have only handlebar shifting (or optional electronic shifting) to offset the problem.

Still waiting for technically-updated triples and quads to show how it should be done (close-ratio, closer-spaced, unified-structure chainrings).
Unfortunately many of today's molded frames are literally designed around current, dated status-quo 2x and 1x chainsets, just as some of the mtb's now made could never run bigger than a 34t or even 32t single chainring (and have very inefficient chainline).
Great post. I too wonder if, before too long, we'll see triples make a comeback, just like yester-year with fewer cogs at the rear. Say 3x9.

We'll be told that with electronic gearing, front shifting is now super easy and reliable. We'll be told that it's way lighter and more aero. We'll be told that frames and chainstays can now be wider and stiffer and wheels can now be dished symetrically between cogs and rotor, and therefore stiffer/stronger...
Old 07-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was odd and figured there was a contract behind the scenes. I think ASI would have been far better of stating this vs the communication that I saw referencing a bogus global trademark.

Back to more fun topics. I’m excited for Campagnolo 1x, but this doesn’t look very useful on a road bike.
Yeah, the big problem was S jumped so hard and fast on Roubaix Cafe and ASI/Fuji was silent for too long. I heard ASI/Fuji bosses thought it was a joke at first and thought S would realize what was going on and it didn't happen. That's when they spoke up. But it was such a mess already that it was hard to come back from it. You could see in the pic of Sinyard and Dan how much Mike did NOT want to be there.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
It's kind of like Vittoria tires and Vittoria shoes. At one point Vittoria tires reached out to Vittoria shoes and told them they needed to change the name. Edoardo who owns Vittoria Shoes looked and found out they had the name 2 weeks before Vittoria Tires. The tire company stopped calling after that.
Hmmm....

Vittoria tires (Vittoria SpA) was founded in 1953.
Vittoria shoes (Vittoria s.r.l.) was founded in 1976.

Not exactly 2 weeks, and the other way around to boot (no pun intended).
Old 07-06-2020, 06:45 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The opportunities for gravel riding in Europe are endless. Even more than road riding, which is also vastly superior to most of the US.
I don't disagree. But the US was first and it's really pushed it harder than other countries. There are so many great rides in the UK and Europe. It would be great to see an Ironman style 'GRAVEL' world championship that takes place in numerous locations.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the big problem was S jumped so hard and fast on Roubaix Cafe and ASI/Fuji was silent for too long. I heard ASI/Fuji bosses thought it was a joke at first and thought S would realize what was going on and it didn't happen. That's when they spoke up. But it was such a mess already that it was hard to come back from it. You could see in the pic of Sinyard and Dan how much Mike did NOT want to be there.
Did you actively ignore the “important” part of that post?
Old 07-06-2020, 06:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Hmmm....

Vittoria tires (Vittoria SpA) was founded in 1953.
Vittoria shoes (Vittoria s.r.l.) was founded in 1976.

Not exactly 2 weeks, and the other way around to boot (no pun intended).
I worked for Vittoria Shoes. I used to get the calls and emails. The original name wasn't Vittoria S.p.A. It was different when it was founded in 53. Vittoria Srl was founded as Vittoria Srl in 76 by Celestino Vercelli a former pro racer and teammate of Eddy Merckx. I actually got billed for Vittoria Tires Interbike booth once due to the confusion. It was wild getting an email for the credit card receipt of almost $50k!!! It's like Sidi claiming the first cable closure when Vittoria had it almost a year before Sidi did. The Italians would argue over a bunch of stuff like the name and other junk. I used to hear the stories. I heard one about a bus in Milano and being snubbed. Just silly stuff.

Last edited by Velocipede; 07-06-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Did you actively ignore the “important” part of that post?
Maybe....
Old 07-06-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe....
I might have to buy a new frame.