Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2019, 11:50 PM

Trust your gut. I've had a few bikes that when I first got them, I thought to myself "I love this bike, I'll never sell it." Then some time later they became "I love this bike, but I'm not riding it as much, maybe I could sell it." Finally it reached the point of "I love this bike, but I'm not riding it, and there are other bikes I like more so I should sell it." And I sold them. But not until I was ready.

When you want to sell, you'll know, but if you don't need the money, don't force a sale.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Trust your gut. I've had a few bikes that when I first got them, I thought to myself "I love this bike, I'll never sell it." Then some time later they became "I love this bike, but I'm not riding it as much, maybe I could sell it." Finally it reached the point of "I love this bike, but I'm not riding it, and there are other bikes I like more so I should sell it." And I sold them. But not until I was ready.

When you want to sell, you'll know, but if you don't need the money, don't force a sale.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm at the point where having too many bikes doesn't "feel right." Hard to explain beyond that ...
Old 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM
Head to Ned

Minimalism might work for some people, I'm not one of them!
Old 12-15-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm at the point where having too many bikes doesn't "feel right." Hard to explain beyond that ...
I totally agree. It’s guilt on my part as I’ve used too many of my family’s $$$ on my own interests. I once had my Vagen (new) a used Crumpton and a used Legend and it ate away at me. I sold the latter two and felt better .

It just didnt feel right.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Minimalism might work for some people, I'm not one of them!
Haha. Paging Marie Kondo...
Old 12-15-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I totally agree. It’s guilt on my part as I’ve used too many of my family’s $$$ on my own interests. I once had my Vagen (new) a used Crumpton and a used Legend and it ate away at me. I sold the latter two and felt better .

Well, I should've actually said this. You just had more balls than I did...
Ideally, I'd like to have three bikes: One "Road," one "All-Road," and one MTB.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 12-15-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:00 PM
PegoNagos

I would love to be able to sell some of my bikes, but since they are nearly all over 10 years old, I would only get ~$500-800 for each frameset and at that price it isn't worth it to me. So I have spread them around. I keep a bike at my company's Colorado office (there ~6-8x a year), and another in Hawaii (there 3-4x a year). That allows me to ride when I am traveling for work without having to take a bike with me or rent a bike.

By now the costs have worked themselves out to leave the bikes there and when I do a work trip to these locations it's "hey there old friend, let's go ride".
Old 12-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post

Feeling this right now - I can technically afford to have the nice bikes I have, but sometimes I look around and feel pretty silly for it all.. I'd still be able to enjoy riding with a single bike, maybe two (road plus MTB). The rest is just hobby fun, collecting and consumerism, pursuit of an unattainable ideal, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2019, 05:05 PM

Well I am selling my velouflage fork that Velocolour created for me so nothing compared to the price I spent on it. This stuff is just stuff. Things that I keep and have emotion sentiment to me are my wedding ring and a jar I reared my test specimens for my PhD research which I did in The Netherlands on a Fulbright fellowship. Bikes have no (well very little) sentimental value compared to other things that attach relationships and accomplishment to them.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:23 AM

i am currently letting emotions cause me to keep bikes, but im about to get a new bike, which will create new emotions that hopefully override the old emotions, allowing me to sell off a few bikes, haha.

i wont sell my Goodrich though
Old 12-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
i am currently letting emotions cause me to keep bikes, but im about to get a new bike, which will create new emotions that hopefully override the old emotions, allowing me to sell off a few bikes, haha.
Interesting. I like the way you think...
Old 12-16-2019, 11:28 AM

I gave away a bike to a racer that got his start on it. Campy 8 speed by a builder no longer with us. He brought it on a trip and long story short it was damaged in a nasty car wreck. The campy stuff is ok but frame toast. Insurance paid well...……….…..
Old 03-06-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Yes. It's just a thing. Sell it and move on to new experienced. Marie Kondo the hell out of it.
No way in hell!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
after the stinner fell in my lap i sold my crux as a complete and took the money and bought three leather jackets. you can only ride one bike at a time. but i guess you can also only wear one jacket at a time too? hoarding gets you nowhere.
Three leather jackets? Isn't that redundant and Marie Kondoable?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:50 PM

I miss my younger legs more than I miss any bikes I've sold...