mentholated

nostalgia is stagnation.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
nostalgia is stagnation.
Oh, I know all about that, trust me...
Old 12-13-2019, 06:49 PM

I am a big purger but I have a 26” DeKerf canti hardtail sitting on my balcony. I’ve had it since 2000 but can’t let it go bc it is this really fantastic totally worthless thing. Not sure what to do though since it still gives me joy.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Just out of curiosity … you have two custom frames that were built for you by builders whom you've fostered a good relationship with. You would have no problem letting one of them go for reasons other than economic necessity? In other words, you wouldn't let any emotional connection impact your thinking?
Yup. Without a second thought. My Rock Lobster was excellent, and while stock sized, the Pegoretti Responsorium was similarly incredible. Same with the Time VXR I sold.

Life's short and there's always great bikes to ride.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Yup. Without a second thought. My Rock Lobster was excellent, and while stock sized, the Pegoretti Responsorium was similarly incredible. Same with the Time VXR I sold.

Life's short and there's always great bikes to ride.
Well, OK. I think that's a healthy perspective.

Addendum: At this point, my only interest is in paring down. Not buying more. So yeah, Marie Kondo ...

Last edited by XXtwindad; 12-13-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:36 PM

My wall art... one of the last frames made in Bedford, PA.
before moving manufacturing to China.. After about 9 years, I might move the components/wheels from my Emonda SLR...and sell that frsme...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1575927155209.jpg (85.9 KB, 421 views)
Old 12-13-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Has anyone on the Forum parted way with a frame they really loved (or thought was really unique) that they didn't sell because of fiscal necessity?

In other words, a frame that was redundant, and probably not going to be ridden much?
Oh yeah, there are two steel frames a Tommasini and a Merckx that I sold back in the 90's that I now wish had kept. They were beautiful and would look fantastic on display.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:57 PM

I have been through so many amazing frames over the past few years that I have come to realize that they are just bikes! They are awesome bikes that give me pleasure, but they are still just objects that are replaceable for the most part.

I often think about selling the entire lot aside from my Drifter and one mountain bike and not buying any others for at least a full year to see how I get along. It would likely be enlightening and rid myself of the crazy amount of bike related clutter I have accumulated. It would also simplify my decision therefore giving me more ride time and other avenues to put my energy into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 PM

I've sold 14 completes and 4 frames in the past three months. One more left to sell.

Loved them all, they were all perfect riders and lovely to behold, but in the end...just things.

Still have 6 left, so there's that.

I own three leather jackets, but one is a 42 year old Bates motorcycle jacket & another -like the vintage Barbour- was inheirited from my father in 2011.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:10 PM

Sold my Fat Chance ti, using the physical cash to pay for our dog walker each week.
oh well
Old 12-13-2019, 08:13 PM

I have a Redcay that Jim made for me in 1983, and a Weigle that Peter made for me in 1986. Both of them have been run into by cars and have needed frame tubes replaced. Tom Kellogg fixed and repainted the Redcay, Peter repaired his. Both of them have been stolen and recovered. It’s meant to be. I still ride them. I’ll never get rid of them.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:44 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Landshark, three (gulp) Kirks two of which were custom made for me, and a Peg Marecelo. Loved them all - lots of good memories but time moves on, preferences change, fit changes, and so many good bikes out there. I think I'm done although I still have more bikes than I need, and there are a lot of other intriguing framemakers, and a couple, Dave Kirk and the Pegoretti crew, that I wouldn't mind at all going back to for another round (no pun intended).
Old 12-13-2019, 08:48 PM

A Zank. It was perfect except that I had another incoming Zank, and my wife began to give me the business for keeping both. I should have stashed it in the bush behind the graveyard so that I could lift a leg over it once a week.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
nostalgia is stagnation.
I remember when nostalgia was a good thing.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:15 PM

Lightbulb

Regarding my infamous ‘Grail Bike’ wanted thread, if someone offered me such a bike, it would force me to sell my custom Vagen. Last month that Facebook firefly got me interested, but the extra cash plus the hassle to sell, plus the sadness of parting with my Vagen deterred me from proceeding:

Now, if a disc Kirk or Crumpton were dropped into my lap, I am now sure what I would do. Tough decisions would need to be made!