Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Dibs if its a Small!
2xl, sorry.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:51 AM

If you are looking for something to make cable stops, grab some wire shrink wrap and real small "O" rings. Roll the rings over the housing and position accordingly, slide the shrink wrap on and hit it with a heat gun........10 seconds and you're done. I've done it on two Scott Plasma TT frames for both the front and rear derailleur housing. Works like a charm. Good luck. GP
Old 08-12-2019, 06:16 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I'll use batteries for starting my car, operate my cell phone, light my flashlight and change the channels on my TV...but NOT shift the gears on my bike. For whatever reasons, I cannot accept that. If I can't make this Canyon work with my plan, it'll be for sale soon....probably here.
haha you are missing out. It works great. I used to think that way and then I tried it and although I don't think its better, I think its pretty great.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
haha you are missing out. It works great. I used to think that way and then I tried it and although I don't think its better, I think its pretty great.
Which one do you use?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:24 AM

As an aside, I get the battery phobia with respect to having 4x per system (on etap, two coin cells even) but with Di2 the only battery is way over capacity and almost never needs charging. You can check it quarterly and throw it on charge after a ride one day. It's really not a big deal. If you don't check your mech shifter cables quarterly you're probably taking more of a chance.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:38 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Which one do you use?
Etap. Setups easy, works great, its good looking. This is my second bike with it and I am a big fan. I still also have mech bikes of course, I enjoy mechanical as well.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
As an aside, I get the battery phobia with respect to having 4x per system (on etap, two coin cells even) but with Di2 the only battery is way over capacity and almost never needs charging. You can check it quarterly and throw it on charge after a ride one day. It's really not a big deal. If you don't check your mech shifter cables quarterly you're probably taking more of a chance.
The shifter batts last 6 months + (which maybe I should check on because I completely forget that the shifters have batteries). I also keep 2 batteries fully charged as not to have a surprise in the morning. So always 4 batteries in rotation. Also its not like if I get up and have no battery I dont have 2 other bikes to ride

I like that etap, if one battery dies you can just put that battery where it matters (the back), and gets you home.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:36 AM

This is either going to end with you tolerating poor mechanical shifting or selling the frame.

I'd say just sell the frame and find something that works if the preference is mechanical.

Otherwise, eTap really is stellar.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:39 AM

Stay tuned.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Given Jeff N's "23mm: ride or die" ethos, my money is not on future embrace of electronic shifting.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:35 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Given Jeff N's "23mm: ride or die" ethos, my money is not on future embrace of electronic shifting.
Quote:
Stay tuned.

How awesome if he posted this bike with 32s, etap axs and turns out its a disc bike and its hydro.

and no color tires :P
Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I do 25's as well, but that's absolute max.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
I do 25's as well, but that's absolute max.
I've got a CX bike with 32c GP4Seasons on it. It rides fantastic over the less than freshly paved roads I usually ride.

M
Old 08-12-2019, 09:49 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've got a CX bike with 32c GP4Seasons on it. It rides fantastic over the less than freshly paved roads I usually ride.

M
oh yeah, 32s are fantastic. My 32s that blow to 35 are just incredible, makes ridding smaller tires very difficult.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:00 PM

I'm a mechanical guy and had a bike built with DA9150. It was simply amazing.. There really isn't a reason to fear electronic shifting. Just buy a charger and make sure to charge your bike up when it's needed.

With Shimano DA9150, a single charge will almost last you 6 months of riding. I think I only charged my 9150 group once or twice.

My only gripe with Shimano electronic shifting, was the lack of "Tactile" feel from the shifting itself. All more the reason I want to try Campy EPS..

If you bought an electronic specific frame, run electronic group. If not, sell it and buy the mechanical version.. Etap is a game changer, because it allows the use of electronic shifting on mechanical specific frames.