Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2020, 03:56 PM

<delete> See that PayPal changed policies since my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonan1970 View Post
$3000 via PayPal goods and service and the buyer backs out, and asks for the money back I'll still be paying the fee's if I do a full refund?

Thanks in advance. tim

Last edited by dan_hudson; 08-29-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
$3000 via PayPal goods and service and the buyer backs out, and asks for the money back I'll still be paying the fee's if I do a full refund?

Thanks in advance. tim
You can do a partial refund of the amount less the fee. I would explain to the buyer that you will refund the amount less the fee.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance. tim
Yes. That is how it works.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance. tim
YUP! Stinks!

You take $3000 goods and services and can't complete the transaction at no fault of your own, you have to refund the full $3000. In the past, you would refund your net and paypal would refund their fee but not anymore. At least they're not double charging you both ways.

Now if you accept $3000 goods and services, you will only net $2912.70. When you refund the buyer you'll be in the red $87.30 because the full $3000 has to come from your end.

I get that paypal makes money by moving money around but this is bull*****. Only a small % of transactions result in a refund. Plus paypal makes money by holding money. They should be somewhat charitable to online sellers that use their service by sharing in the expense of a refund.

Last edited by Pegoready; 08-29-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
You can do a partial refund of the amount less the fee. I would explain to the buyer that you will refund the amount less the fee.
Ha. Try doing this and watch the buyer open up a claim. The buyer is entitled to 100% of their money back in the eyes of Paypal and all they will see is the refund wasn't given back in full. .

I'd try this tact: "Hey, no worries with a refund but I'm taking a $90 haircut. Can you float me half as a separate transaction friends + family and I'll refund the full amount on the original transaction?"
Old 08-30-2020, 12:06 AM

We stopped taking PayPal at the begining of this year, no regrets.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 08-30-2020, 03:03 AM

I've been using Paypal for years with zero issues. What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-30-2020, 03:20 AM

Hmm i did not know paypal kept their fees on refunds. Thats simply wrong..

What about when one uses paypal via ebay as a seller? Im going to assume that this is not the case then and that they will then refund their fees?
Old 08-30-2020, 03:46 AM

Wow. I will never sell on ebay ever again. I have moved a majority of my buying and selling off ebay due to fees but it's completely over now. this is too much.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
Wow. I will never sell on ebay ever again. I have moved a majority of my buying and selling off ebay due to fees but it's completely over now. this is too much.
But do u know that this apply to ebay sales as well (tho i gather one can think its to much regardless)?
Old 08-30-2020, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
But do u know that this apply to ebay sales as well (tho i gather one can think its to much regardless)?
sorry i don't follow. ebay uses paypal to process online payments. ebay owns paypal
Old 08-30-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
sorry i don't follow. ebay uses paypal to process online payments. ebay owns paypal

Yes which is why i think they may have excluded not reimbursing fees from ebay sales as that would likely drive a way a lot of sellers and its also makes them look more ridiculous offering a service of buyers that backs out and then let the sellers take the loss (as opposed to other transactions which is really not their fault anyways if buyer and seller have misscommunicated what they thought they were buying / selling).. Or they possibly think that it will be worth it even if a few drops out of selling their stuff on ebay. But i dont think thats a given.

They may reason that if ebay is excluded from this practise it could drive sellers to use ebay more as a substantial loss could be made if sale is outside of ebay.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 08-30-2020 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Yes which is why i think they may have excluded not reimbursing fees from ebay sales as that would likely drive a way a lot of sellers. Or they possibly think that it will be worth it even if a few drops out of selling their stuff on ebay. But i dont think thats a given.
yes for sure it would drive away a ton of high volume sellers that they make their bread and butter from. ebay has become mostly buy it now, and individuals with amateur interests selling their gear do not make them much money in comparison. i wonder if this is a policy for every transaction including ebay or just person to person or merchant accounts

Last edited by cinema; 08-30-2020 at 03:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
yes for sure it would drive away a ton of high volume sellers that they make their bread and butter from. ebay has become mostly buy it now, and individuals with amateur interests selling their gear do not make them much money in comparison. i wonder if this is a policy for every transtion including ebay or just person to person or merchant accounts
Yes that was my point and question. But i take it u like me dont know if this is the case (yet).
Old 08-30-2020, 09:05 AM

FWIW, PayPal was spun off from eBay in 2015 and is a completely separate entity.