Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 11:53 PM

Come for the post about jackets, stay for the weird, unsolicited, needless mental health advice.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Two thoughts, each worth the pixels I used to post 'em. First, I have a few pieces of Cafe du Cycliste kit, all of which I've bought used here. They're unusual, I suppose, but also unusually nicely made. I like them quite a lot. Second, diagnosing mental illness over the internet seems like a particularly ill-advised and probably unkind thing to do. If someone here's ever worried that my chain is slipping or I've cracked a bearing, maybe send me a PM rather than posting about it in public?
But isn't a cracked bearing or slipped chain metaphor for mental illness a bit cruel as well.

I'll say this, that jacket looks crazy stupid. I would have rocked it in my New York parka days, with Timberlands. On a bike, I think it would be very hot. In...a...bad...way.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
But isn't a cracked bearing or slipped chain metaphor for mental illness a bit cruel as well.
On a bike forum, I don't think so? But I'm open to the possibility that I was being too glib. Regardless, I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone and apologize if I did.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:17 AM

I was mostly pulling your chain!

I'm still trying to find the colloquialism that the OP intended to use instead of hoax. Did he mean contrived, artificial, inauthentic, preposterously superficial? Or was he speculating that these French dudes are just taking the piss? Ah, but on the Continent, the ludicrous can be sublime.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:21 AM

I just bought this jersey from someone here (beard sold separately). It's quite a bit fuzzier in person than I was expecting (the jersey, not the beard, which is sold separately). I kind of love it, I think? It's a little like wearing a muppet pelt.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:24 AM

I should say that it's like wearing a faux muppet pelt. I want to be absolutely clear about something: no matter how fuzzy it might be, I would never wear an authentic muppet pelt!
Old 09-22-2020, 12:40 AM

That's the best jersey ever. They should throw a few on the floor in their cafe and call it the Mike Kelley corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mk2.jpg (123.3 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg mk1.jpg (87.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg mk4.jpg (74.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg mk6.jpg (50.5 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by barnabyjones; 09-22-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
I should say that it's like wearing a faux muppet pelt. I want to be absolutely clear about something: no matter how fuzzy it might be, I would never wear an authentic muppet pelt!
That piece always reminded me of a felted wool rug—good to hear that it isn’t a hoax. I’m a big fan of Café du Cycliste, and have visited the shop several times (get socca at Chez Pippo if you’re in the neighborhood). The Micheline jersey is great in the dead of summer. CdC definitely aren’t just knocking off other people’s designs.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
weisan pal - being kinda harsh, aren't you - dude was only pointing out that he thought $250 was a lot for a jacket.
Agree...bike forum psychoanalyst?? From a post about a jacket..jacket...
Quote:
Come for the post about jackets, stay for the weird, unsolicited, needless mental health advice.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Jason pal, I know you been gone for a while...but since you came back sometime middle of this year, you have changed. A LOT....you have become a lot more cynical...about almost everything. Just go back and look at some of your recent posts you will see what I mean. It's perfectly ok to call into question things we have doubts about. I am all for a healthy dosage of critical thinking and practicing some discernment. But I think...you are besides yourself lately. I don't know what you have been through when you were gone...but this is not normal. And I don't have to be a doctor to see that. I have the best intentions for you. I am glad you came back or started to contribute again on this forum. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

weisan
If this is serious, it would have been better as a PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:12 AM

I rather like that jacket.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 AM
Administrator

this is kind of a weird thread.

on topic of the jacket, i like it, and i dont think it's really too far out of the ordinary for cycling clothing.

i mean, we all get out there and put on our favorite roadie costumes and pedal around on our bikes, and i dont think this jacket looks much more bizarre than any of the other non traditional pieces of kit available today.

in fact, i think it's probably a smartly made, warm jacket.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:36 AM
Captain?

It looks like really nice/cool stuff. I had not heard of them before. Looks like a good excuse for more Covid lockdown shopping!
Old 09-22-2020, 08:43 AM

In case this thread is actually about the jacket...

I have an earlier version. It's kind of halfway between a jersey and a jacket, and the puffy bit on the front is a wind blocker. Clever zipped vents at the shoulder.

Bar none, it's my favorite winter kit ever. I wear it from mid-30s to about 50. With a long sleeved merino base layer it's good down to freezing. With a summer base layer it's fine to the 50s.

It's subtle, but when I wear it folks always ask about it. It's got a very structured cut; looks almost military.

Cafe is one of those brands that makes exceptionally nice things, and they are really well made. They also back their products and their service is excellent. In some ways, I think Cafe is what Rapha used to be, and that's a good thing.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien View Post
In case this thread is actually about the jacket...

I have an earlier version. It's kind of halfway between a jersey and a jacket, and the puffy bit on the front is a wind blocker. Clever zipped vents at the shoulder.

Bar none, it's my favorite winter kit ever. I wear it from mid-30s to about 50. With a long sleeved merino base layer it's good down to freezing. With a summer base layer it's fine to the 50s.

It's subtle, but when I wear it folks always ask about it. It's got a very structured cut; looks almost military.

Cafe is one of those brands that makes exceptionally nice things, and they are really well made. They also back their products and their service is excellent. In some ways, I think Cafe is what Rapha used to be, and that's a good thing.
Good to hear from an actual owner.

I could tell just by looking at it that it is perfectly suited to cold weather riding for what I do. I actually owned a very similar piece made by Pearl Izumi 25 years ago. NorthFace made something similar but no pockets.