Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
i got 99 problems, but a beer aint one
Sounds like a country music song.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:04 PM

My cousin is co-oqner of Sloop Brewing. Love some of the offerings, but we're enjoying the Athletic Brewing offerings much more frequently..it's a calorie thing for us.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:34 AM

Thumbs down Swill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post

https://wellbeingbrewing.com. I like there Hellraiser dark amber best.
Definitely YMMV

This is without a doubt one of the biggest waste of money I have ever made. ordered (2) 4 packs of the dark amber and (2) 4 packs of the pumpkin ale. I did manage to drink (1) pumpkin ale (barely), but couldn't manage but a third of the dark amber before pouring it out.

They are disgusting, watery swill.

Sorry liver, nothing but the real thing from now on.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:40 AM

My four 6 packs of Athletic arrived yesterday. Looking forward to trying them after today's workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-10-2021, 08:53 AM
50 bpm

The last time I drank a "non-alcoholic" beer the alcohol put me to sleep. Fortunately, it was not face-down in my salad.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:14 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
Definitely YMMV

This is without a doubt one of the biggest waste of money I have ever made. ordered (2) 4 packs of the dark amber and (2) 4 packs of the pumpkin ale. I did manage to drink (1) pumpkin ale (barely), but couldn't manage but a third of the dark amber before pouring it out.

I had a terrible brown ale from athletic a while ago. Their ipa, cerveza, and lager are easy drinking though. I recommend investing in a single six pack at a time. Why go so big without ever trying them first?

If anyone wants an Athletic Brewing discount code, PM me.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
Definitely YMMV

Sorry for your experience. I also would recommend buying only one six pack of each variety to see if you like. Don't know your taste but you may want to try Athletic All Out stout which I also find very drinkable. Perhaps your expectations of NA beer are unrealistic. For me, who was drinking way too much alcohol, they have allowed me to stop drinking regular beer for a month now. I'll gladly give up some taste for that option. Just saying.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Why go so big without ever trying them first?
The WellBeing comes in 4 packs, I had a discount code, and shipping was cheaper I took some on the boat yesterday along with (1) real beer and managed to drink them.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
Perhaps your expectations of NA beer are unrealistic. For me, who was drinking way too much alcohol, they have allowed me to stop drinking regular beer for a month now. I'll gladly give up some taste for that option. Just saying.
I love the taste of beer, and don't drink it for a buzz, so that is quite possible. I love the darker flavorful stouts and amber beers. Not a fan of IPA's.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:11 AM

For those who recommended Athletic Brewing in here....THANK YOU!

This stuff is great. I bought a 6 pack of "Run Wild IPA." Very tasty. Label says "contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume" for a 12 oz. can, so it's not entirely alcohol free. That aside, it tastes good, which is the more important thing I was looking for--sometimes I just want the taste, not the buzz.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:38 AM

My curiosity was piqued by this thread, so not having tried an NA beer in a while I picked up a six pack of Athletic Free Wave hazy IPA over the weekend to give it a go. I was pretty impressed. It lived up to the claims of being very similar in taste to alcoholic IPA of the same variety. That said, it's not something I'd go out of my way to drink. It's "very similar" to alcoholic beer, but it's just not the same. I would liken it to the difference between decaf and regular coffee. Even the best decaf tastes a little "off" from regular coffee and it's the same thing here. I suspect the alcohol contributes something to the flavor of the brew, so when it's missing, that aspect of the taste is missing, too. Maybe it's something I'd buy for, say, a long road trip or something when I stop for a break and want a "beer" but need to avoid alcohol, but otherwise I wouldn't drink this regularly. That's not a knock on Athletic--like I said, I was impressed--but I suspect it's just the nature of the beast. I still may try another one or two at some point, but curiosity satisfied for now.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:49 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
My curiosity was piqued by this thread, so not having tried an NA beer in a while I picked up a six pack of Athletic Free Wave hazy IPA over the weekend to give it a go. I was pretty impressed. It lived up to the claims of being very similar in taste to alcoholic IPA of the same variety. That said, it's not something I'd go out of my way to drink. It's "very similar" to alcoholic beer, but it's just not the same. I would liken it to the difference between decaf and regular coffee. Even the best decaf tastes a little "off" from regular coffee and it's the same thing here. I suspect the alcohol contributes something to the flavor of the brew, so when it's missing, that aspect of the taste is missing, too. Maybe it's something I'd buy for, say, a long road trip or something when I stop for a break and want a "beer" but need to avoid alcohol, but otherwise I wouldn't drink this regularly. That's not a knock on Athletic--like I said, I was impressed--but I suspect it's just the nature of the beast. I still may try another one or two at some point, but curiosity satisfied for now.
this is exactly how i feel like it would be to drink a "good" nonalchy beer..
Old 02-21-2024, 11:18 PM
but not really

Bumping this old thread. I've continued to be an ambassador for Athletic Brewing. They've expanded their offerings and have some fun limited releases from time to time.

You can use my referral code for 20% off when ordering with a new email address: SCOTTR20
Old 02-22-2024, 05:07 AM

Nothing tastes like a genuine real IPA. After New Years Eve I went 45 days no alcohol. January was a Slowtwitch challenge. Third year in a row I’ve done. Last year I also did a dry July. The challenge for me was a week long MTB trip with some friends. No problem. While now I’m not abstaining. I will drink a beer then follow it with NA’s after it. Love the Brooklyn Special Effects and Athletic is pretty good too.

I occasionally moving forward will do dry spots during the year and limit my alcohol intake to one or two maybe once or twice a week.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:53 AM

More or less by accident, my lovely wife brought home some Athletic--she liked it, and the rest of us who tried it also liked it. (Not sure which type it was.) None of us are serious beer drinkers though....