Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2024, 06:08 PM

AUS is in the path of totality, so I'll go out in the front yard and look at it, but at the moment, the forecast is for overcast skies. so, it may not be a life-changing event...we'll see.

my next door nabe is traveling 100 miles to a place that will have triple the totality time and booked an airbnb for $1200...unfortunately, she'll get overcast skies there too.

a TxDOT site said to expect travel times on major roads to be 3-5x normal, oof. another said traffic could rival the Hurricane Rita evacuation which left thousands stranded in gridlock conditions for 12+ hrs. eff that...
Old 04-05-2024, 06:21 PM

live and work in fort worth so pretty much right in the path.my job involves alot of driving in the dfw metroplex and my employer has warned us to treat it like halloween and be stay off any roads during the event..
Old 04-05-2024, 06:51 PM

We’re driving 3 plus hours up to Houlton, ME to experience totality. My wife found a friend of a co worker who is letting us pitch our tent in his garage. Excited for the adventure! Weather is looking perfect.

David
Old 04-05-2024, 07:11 PM
Embracing my

The next one in 2045 passes darn near over my house. So, I just have to make it to 88 !
Old 04-05-2024, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
If you've never done it....do it. It's pretty cool.

I've seen two...in 1979 my HS took a bunch of us (nerds) over to Yakima, WA to watch it....very cool.

When the 2017 eclipse came around I wanted to make sure my boys saw it...luckily I have a sister that lives in OR and in the shadow path....we stayed at her place and made a weekend of it....successfully avoiding the crowds! We took the long way home with stops in Hood River for beer & pizza, crossed the Columbia at Maryhill and saw the roadside attraction Stonehenge, and did some wine tasting too!

Go early....find a good spot to stay (camping or otherwise) and don't be in a rush to get home....just enjoy the spectacle.
I did almost the same thing in Corvallis. I was kind of Meh about the whole thing, but after I swore I'd make the next one. I had no idea how easy I had it last time.
I just bought a ticket (mostly for the parking) to watch this one at the Shawshank Redemption prison in Ohio. I expect to experience the traffic this time
Old 04-05-2024, 10:17 PM

I’m doing a bike tour in Texas Hill Country - on Monday will be in the path of totality likely with clouds. But in any case will get a great ride.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:49 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
I’m really torn about going. It’s about 2.5 hours of driving on a normal day for me to make it to the totality area. Reading articles about how crazy the traffic will be makes me kind of happy I don’t have any plans that I am committed to. But also, to experience it, probably very awe inspiring. Major FOMO happening already.
2.5 hours? DO IT!!!!!!!
I flew from Baltimore to Nashville seven years ago and it was so worth it. I said I would not miss this one but I can't find anyone to go with me and I'm still considering an 8-10 hour solo drive each way to see this one. The only thing that is making me thing twice is that a few stray clouds can ruin it. If I had a traveling partner to pass the time I would take the chance. I was just looking at flights and I would happy pay the $1000 (well, with points) but there are no flights available on Southwest to get me in and out within 24 hours.
But if I were 2.5 hours away I wouldn't think twice.
Again, you need totality to appreciate it. 99% is NOT the same thing. It's cool in the few minutes leading up to it and afterward but you need totality to really experience it.
GO!!!

Last edited by avalonracing; 04-05-2024 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:42 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

We will be viewing for sure

It’s our second

I am a bit worried about the crowds but the weather report looks perfect

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It’s around 65 to 70% coverage in my area and I doubt I’ll bother to step outside. I’m apparently one of the few that has really no interest or excitement in this. It occurred just last year here nearly dark, exciting.
I, also, have no interest, no excitement. It is nothing more than spacial coincedence. The universe is not lining up a display for the pleasure of humans. I think I was in grade school the last time I felt any thrill about such a meaningless occasion.

I do understand why others have such excitement, particularly astronomers and scientists. I hope the skies are clear and a good view is available for the eclipsers.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:47 AM

Is there advantage to bring closer to the centerline of the path, vs. the edge? Once inside the totality zone.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:12 AM

Longer amount of time in totality. If you put in different locations into any of the eclipse webpage things you’ll see maybe around a minute at the edge vs 3 or more minutes more in the center.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Is there advantage to bring closer to the centerline of the path, vs. the edge? Once inside the totality zone.

I think so, for sure. The closer you are to the center the longer time youre in the totality, which feels pretty short to begin with no matter where you are — it will feel like it is over before you know it.

And you really need to be in the totality, which is when you see the ring of fire and it gets fairly (and weirdly) dark, and you can view the eclipse directly without glasses. Anything less that the totality, you miss all that, which is why partial eclipses dont’ feel nearly as cool.

And yes, traffic will be absurd, everywhere, no matter what route google map sends you to.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:14 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
If you've never done it....do it. It's pretty cool.

I've seen two...in 1979 my HS took a bunch of us (nerds) over to Yakima, WA to watch it....very cool.

When the 2017 eclipse came around I wanted to make sure my boys saw it...luckily I have a sister that lives in OR and in the shadow path....we stayed at her place and made a weekend of it....successfully avoiding the crowds! We took the long way home with stops in Hood River for beer & pizza, crossed the Columbia at Maryhill and saw the roadside attraction Stonehenge, and did some wine tasting too!

Go early....find a good spot to stay (camping or otherwise) and don't be in a rush to get home....just enjoy the spectacle.

Yeah, that sounds a whole lot better than Indianapolis.

There was an article in the NYT all about all the Super 8s that are sold out along the totality path. Some people are spending nearly a grand for a 95 dollar room in Illinois. Talk about doing it wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240404-194706.jpg (98.8 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 04-06-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Only in terms of length of totality. You simply get more time to be in awe. I don't think any effects are seen in the middle that aren't on the edge, but it gives you time to take pictures and just be in the moment
Old 04-06-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
I, also, have no interest, no excitement. It is nothing more than spacial coincedence. The universe is not lining up a display for the pleasure of humans. I think I was in grade school the last time I felt any thrill about such a meaningless occasion.

I do understand why others have such excitement, particularly astronomers and scientists. I hope the skies are clear and a good view is available for the eclipsers.
I watched a PBS piece a few days ago that went into detail what a few of the scientists were going to study, and I was having a difficult time connecting to the excitement displayed or even the value derived of seeing the normally invisible corona of the sun. Hopefully they will get what they are after!