Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 08:44 AM

I think this driver will get a long jail term, not so much because he tried to kill 7 cyclists, but because he tried to shoot cops.
But either way, he will get a long time to think about it from behind bars.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:18 AM

Wait for the civil lawsuits following the criminal trial. This guy is toast.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:27 AM

gut wrenching.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Driver survived, Cops can't shoot worth a lick.
life in general population is a fate FAR worse than death.
maybe the victims, and their families might get some kind of explanation
Old 06-20-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
gut wrenching.
Right? I cant stop shaking my head...
Old 06-20-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingson View Post
life in general population is a fate FAR worse than death.
maybe the victims, and their families might get some kind of explanation
Evil needs no explanation, it needs to be extinguished.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I think this driver will get a long jail term, not so much because he tried to kill 7 cyclists, but because he tried to shoot cops.
But either way, he will get a long time to think about it from behind bars.
Where was there any mention of the driver trying "to shoot cops"?
Old 06-20-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Where was there any mention of the driver trying "to shoot cops"?
I haven't read anything about the driver shooting. He had just run down a group of people and was trying to escape, shooting sounds justified to stop him. I think evading arrest and fleeing the scene will be lesser charges to attempted murder.

This hits the entire AZ cycling community, I'm not sure what is the better outcome for the driver, living prolongs the pain of the families, dying means we'd never know why.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:07 AM

it's show low, he was probably on meth.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
And
Quote:
Driver survived, Cops can't shoot worth a lick.
Ya know I think this is gonna go off the rails quickly and maybe a quick step to a lock but w/o knowing the situation here...I don't think LEO are there to be executioners, regardless if the guy is 'evil' or not. YES, absolutely, LEO is there to protect themselves and others but not there to take away this guys rights, even if he DOES deserve it..

You may have a big issue with legal system these days and so do I but..Cops aren't there to be judge and jury..and executioner.

IMHO....
Old 06-21-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
So true, unfortunately we have a "justice" system now days that is anything but just.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:37 AM

Trying to kill others and fleeing from police is not a trivial offense. I had read that some cyclists died, it appears that was false. It is my understanding that police are allowed to use force in such situations and yes, in my opinion as an ordinary citizen that use of deadly force is not unreasonable under the known facts. The fleeing criminal does not need to have another weapon, in addition to the vehicle. For those who find such an opinion off the rails, just take a deep breath. This isn't a matter of finding an explanation for the family, it about justice for cyclists and society as a whole. I am part of the 55% of Americans in favor of such justice.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Trying to kill others and fleeing from police is not a trivial offense. I had read that some cyclists died, it appears that was false. It is my understanding that police are allowed to use force in such situations and yes, in my opinion as an ordinary citizen that use of deadly force is not unreasonable under the known facts. The fleeing criminal does not need to have another weapon, in addition to the vehicle. For those who find such an opinion off the rails, just take a deep breath. This isn't a matter of finding an explanation for the family, it about justice for cyclists and society as a whole. I am part of the 55% of Americans in favor of such justice.
I agree

I agree again.

Maybe the vagueness of the interweb, but your 2 posts about how cops are poor shots and evil needs to be extinguished, 'seems' like it's OK with you and others if LEO, after the threat has been neutralized, if they think the person is 'evil', it's ok to kill him....I agree, justice needs to be served..but not at the hands of LE, if the event is over..

If the guy was a threat to LEO or others with his truck, yup, deadly force is certainly called for.

If I am reading your posts wrong, I apologize.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I agree

I agree again.

Maybe the vagueness of the interweb, but your 2 posts about how cops are poor shots and evil needs to be extinguished, 'seems' like it's OK with you and others if LEO, after the threat has been neutralized, if they think the person is 'evil', it's ok to kill him....I agree, justice needs to be served..but not at the hands of LE, if the event is over..

If the guy was a threat to LEO or others with his truck, yup, deadly force is certainly called for.

If I am reading your posts wrong, I apologize.
I guess my post was poorly written. These motorist attacks on us bring my blood to a boil.

I was responding to the notion that we need is an explanation to the family. The Perp should be tried and if there were deaths as I had thought, the driver should either serve life or be put to death. The LEOs being bad shots was a poor attempt at sarcasm. Since I had thought there were deaths and the suspect was fleeing, I seem to recall a Supreme Court decision that police can use deadly force, but my memory might be wrong. I had an old Cadillac run me off the road, circle back twice and try to get me. It was scary. I had a similar incident on a brevet. I've have had a six pack of empties thrown onto me at 2 am. With a description and plate number of the Caddy, I went to the local PD. They laughed me off and did nothing. Sure, times have changed but I think we need to get to where it is in most of Europe, a motorists hits a cyclist and the presumption is the driver is guilty. And no more $49 fines when mowing one of us down. Better bike lanes and paths would be nice too.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:18 AM

It's amazing that there were no deaths in that incident. There are most definitely lifelong injuries if not physical then psychological. Anything other than life in prison would be a crime in itself.
Closed Thread