Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2022, 11:23 AM

Carbon-Ti hubs where to buy

Looking to build some new wheels in the near future and save some weight.
I am seeing Carbon-Ti rear hub in $250-ish price range at several vendors in Europe. I have noticed some members using them, Any preferred place to buy them? Also I have never built with straight pull spokes before and wonder if there is an issue with them rotating during tensioning? Will be using CX-Ray spokes so using a spoke holder anyway. Any comparisons to Tune hubs which are similar weight and price?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2022, 11:26 AM

Fairwheel Bikes in the US sells them:

https://www.fairwheelbikes.com/wheel...mponents/hubs/

You can also ask them about their opinion; they have probably built more weight-weenie wheels than anyone in the US.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:06 AM

I have been doing some more research into lightweight hubs including Tune, Carbon-Ti and Extralite. It seems that that they all suffer from problems of creaking noises and breaking of parts. I decided that these are probably not for me especially at the price that they cost. I have a wheelset with WI T11 and another with Bitex hubs and they have been trouble free so I will probably stick with those and try to save weight elsewhere.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:21 AM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I have been doing some more research into lightweight hubs including Tune, Carbon-Ti and Extralite. It seems that that they all suffer from problems of creaking noises and breaking of parts. I decided that these are probably not for me especially at the price that they cost. I have a wheelset with WI T11 and another with Bitex hubs and they have been trouble free so I will probably stick with those and try to save weight elsewhere.
having ridden tune and carbon ti extensively for the past... 5 or 6 years.

they don't really creak or break (i had more trouble with a CK r45 hub than i ever did with my tunes or carbon ti).

TBF, i weigh 140-145, so that might be a useless anecdote.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post

they don't really creak or break (i had more trouble with a CK r45 hub than i ever did with my tunes or carbon ti).

I also weigh 140 lbs.
Its hard to know how common this is but people have reported it.
It could be a small number cases. There is a guy on Youtube that reviews some of these hubs and I found it very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH6IPZznzBM
Old 08-24-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Same experience for me at 160/170 LBS
Old 08-24-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I wish I could say I have had the same experience. I have a set of carbon wheels built onto Carbon-Ti X-Hub Road Disc hubs. Went out for my very first ride and was getting a Creaking/knocking. Came back home and tried one thing after another. Even taking apart crankset, derailluer, Seatpost, saddle...etc. Still knocking. Took off the rotors, drive hub, cassette to clean and reinstall. Still knocking. Swapped rotor and cassette to Roval wheel and no knocking. Put new wheel back on, knocking. Spokes are good tension, everything looks good, but can't seem to figure out what it is.

Have wheel at wheel shop to swap drive hub bearings since one feels a little rough. Hoping that helps take care of things. I've wasted so much time on a brand new wheelset that should be perfect out of the box, but the hub/wheel is causing me so much frustration! and for the record, I'm 160lbs.

Last edited by bianchi10; 08-24-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:34 PM

Got my wheels slightly used, most likely the hubs and rims came from Fairwheel since they sell the rims- FSE.
I have put a couple thousand miles on them in 3 years and have had no issues or odd noises. I like a fairly loud hub but I could go with a 20 decibel decrease. Not sure if that is possible.
I have not yet looked inside to see if it needs grease. Hmmm maybe I should do that. A maintenance thing.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:42 PM

Wish I could say the same about carbon ti. Flanges let go on 2 rear hubs, and a cracked spoke hole on a front hub. All warrantied but even up breaking the wheels down and selling the hubs.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:47 PM

No issues with carbon-ti hubs (used extensively), no issues with tune hubs (only had them on one set). Extralite is a whole other story.