Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 10:38 AM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Thank you for the suggestions, inspirations and wisdom so far, I really appreciative it.
After the peg board, next step is tool shadow tape.

https://www.wallcontrol.com/tools-si...ard-tape-roll/

If find yourself using tool shadow tape, ask your doctor about Paxil.....
Old 01-19-2021, 10:45 AM

I've got 4 pegboards in my frame shop but this is my main one located by my primary vise. I got the vise in 1975 from the estate of the builder I thought was the very best builder in the UK so I consider it a privilege to be its caretaker until I can't use it anymore. I suppose he got it in the 30's. The files are what I use the most so they are most convenient to the vise. It drives me crazy if my framebuilding class students don't put them back in the right order so I have to look and see which one i've got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2764.jpg (145.7 KB, 299 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 07:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

I use pegboard(the big hole type with bigger 'hooks'), because I add, subtract, move tools all the time.
As for what where. I put the stuff I use closest to center, lowest(allen wrenches).
Plus I can put other stuff into the holes, like my various spoke wrenches, like the 5.5mm long socket one for some Campag wheels.

I also like magnetic strips and old coffee cups for stuff that can't be 'mounted'..like one with antisieze and loctite tubes. One for q tips and plastic tire levers. One for old toothbrushes.

As an aside..I once wandered into a local trek store and it had 3 benches and ALL were arranged identically, all the tools in exactly the same place and all insanely clean as in...never used(?)...

But it's a work bench, a tool, utilitarian, not supposed to be 'pretty'...MY biggest issue is I don't put tools away while doing a job..and I stop, look up and see all my tools are on the bench....

Another 'wall' to the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy...yyyyyyy.jpg (51.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg lllllllllll.jpg (50.0 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-20-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I also like magnetic strips and old coffee cups for stuff that can't be 'mounted'..like one with antisieze and loctite tubes. One for q tips and plastic tire levers. One for old toothbrushes.

But it's a work bench, a tool, utilitarian, not supposed to be 'pretty'...MY biggest issue is I don't put tools away while doing a job..and I stop, look up and see all my tools are on the bench....
Hah.. I have the same issue with having to remind myself to actually put the tools back.

I have one of the park small part bowls with a strong magnet in the bottom of it. I really love that thing and it's cheap.

I totally get you on the "pretty" thing. A lot of the time on this forum no matter what the topic is it looks like people are trying to build/buy pretty things to show off as opposed to using them. In this case though I do think most of the pictures in this thread show well used tools and benches though.

Your workbench doesn't need to be instagram material if you're using it for work instead of posturing. Same with the actual bench.. I built mine from wood I had left over. It doesn't look like fine woodworking, but it's straight and level and I don't care if I scratch it up or spill glue on it or whatever because it was not built to be pretty.

One other thing.. I had my garage wired up so I have an outlet right between the two panels of pegboard, then I mounted a surge protector into the space between the two pegboards. I have my Dewalt charger mounted in that gap as well, it leaves me with very convenient wire runs when I need to use power tools on the workbench without having to worry about cables in the way. And it gives me easy ability to run my electric heater on the bottom shelf of the workbench.

Heh.. a heated garage would trump an instagram worth workbench all day long.

Last edited by benb; 01-20-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:39 AM

Don't be hatin'. I actually prefer to place my gear back in the proper place CLEAN after using. Then I know where it is and ready to go when I need it. Saves time and frustrations. Many of the photos on the 'gram are actually paid professionals.

Last edited by Mikej; 01-20-2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:53 AM
aka RAEKWON

not the most clearest pic but only I have uploaded

Old 01-20-2021, 10:54 AM

There's a difference between "clean" and "never used", that's all I was getting at.

Doug Fattic's tools in his picture are a clear example of tools that get used.

The Park tool pictures are the perfect contrast, they're brand new tools that have never been used, but then they're marketing pictures.

I have some tools from my grandfather that are 70+ years old. He was a machinist. Those tools are clean but the wear on them is kind of amazing.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:13 PM

I love pegboard but the biggest problem I've found is deciding what to put "up" vs what to put in drawers. This might be because of the number of tools I own, the amount of wall-space we have, and the nature of my other, non-bike, hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3812.jpg (108.7 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3969.jpg (94.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I don't really care what you use or that the choice of pegs/hooks/whatever is that important but the point is doing something.

It's just crazy how much time is saved by having the tools out like this instead of hunting in the toolbox every time you need something.

Toolboxes are for having to take your tools places, not for your workshop.

I have a setup that's not pegs, it's hooks with all the different modular attachments that go on the board and fit different tools. My main complaint with it is occasionally one of the mounts will fall out when removing a tool.

Realistically I think just about anything would work.

Agreed. It's good that there are so many choices for storing tools. It seems everyone has a system customized to their workflow and choices. For me, I don't like the long reach over a bench to get a tool on a pegboard. I have a large roller cabinet ("roller" is a euphemism when it's too heavy to roll around). When I pull the top drawer out it extends to right next to my bike stand. That top drawer (48" drawer) holds all the tools I use most often.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:05 PM

I worked for a head mechanic who would go ballistic if he found you looking for a tool
If it took 10 seconds to find it ...watch out
Old 01-20-2021, 06:29 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I've never liked peg-board / on-the-wall tool storage sytems. I get why some folks like them - a place for everything, and everything in it's place, and all that, but IMO they look too messy. They're great for a professional shop that's used 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, but IMO they're not the thing for my home shop.

I prefer rolling cabinets. You can get fancy ones, or cheap ones, in a huge range of sizes and configurations, and it's super-easy to just roll one over to where you're working - workbench, bike stand, table, whatever.

Right now I have one for my "regular" tools, one for my bike tools, and two standing cabinets for the various other bike parts and stuff I've been hoarding over the years.

Edit: From a few years ago, Abby (RIP, good buddy) supervising as I work:

Last edited by Louis; 01-20-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:42 PM

I recently have been overthinking this myself. Mounted up a piece of plywood a while back but I've only added nails for a few tools. I'm paralyzed to act; I feel like I don't want to do the layout wrong, so I don't do it at all. I like the idea about doing a flat layout first, but I think I'm going to try pegboard for the simple reason it's easier to change as I go.

Also, a rolling cart with a counter top is great. Nice to have the tools right there and a workspace/tool catcher.

Last edited by chismog; 01-20-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:55 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Sure, if you're the type of person that has an unorganized toolbox. I'll take my OCD'd organized toolbox over a pegboard (or something similar) any day.
Having worked in a shop where the manager drank the Trek Kool Ade, I disagree. Yes, the tools are put away and the shop looks nice, but in daily use, the drawers are always a PITA because you open the wrong drawer more often than not.

I still do in my van after almost 2 years of working in it.

I inherited a tool board from a shop I worked at that was remodeling so I've had a plywood board in all my garages since about 2002.

At some point along the line, I worked for a shop with 2' magnets on the plywood board. My van has 7 magnets on the wall with things up in a way that makes sense to me: tools I use lots are center/middle and things I don't moving outward and/or upwards

My garage has 4-5 magnets laid out in a similar way. Things I grab all the time are front and center. The rest move outwards and upwards

The attached pics are the beginning of setting up plywood over my garage workbench after I took down the pegboard.

HTH

M
Old 01-20-2021, 06:57 PM

That's the advantage of pegboard. You never have to commit. Easy to reconfigure your shop for your workflow. A semi-permanent diy hanging tool wall is cheaper, but you miss out on one big advantage: the ability to reconfigure and optimize as you learn about what works.

Pegboard/cabinet combo is the way to go. Depending on how many tools we're talking, all of one's tools on pegboards would be maddening to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
I recently have been overthinking this myself. Mounted up a piece of plywood a while back but I've only added nails for a few tools. I'm paralyzed to act; I feel like I don't want to do the layout wrong, so I don't do it at all. I like the idea about doing a flat layout first, but I think I'm going to try pegboard for the simple reason it's easier to change as I go.

Also, a rolling cart with a counter top is great. Nice to have the tools right there and a workspace/tool catcher.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:21 PM

Here is the organization of the little shop on a college campus in Ukraine where we make frames and turn them into bicycles. Most of them have gone to pastors working near the Russian border trying to get around under trying conditions. In the left end we make the frames and on the right end they are assembled into bicycles. The wall boards hold the most used tools needed for the tasks done near them. This shop is a place where aspiring framebuilders have gone to practice and refine their skills after taking one of my framebuilding classes. I miss some of the tools I have in the US but on the whole what's in the shop can do the job (except sandblasting and powdercoating).

I'm pushing the limits of what should be posted on this thread but the last picture is the end products of what is done inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0219.jpg (149.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0220.jpg (150.0 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0478.jpg (149.9 KB, 146 views)