Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Given the limited power of most e-bikes, this gizmo won't increase uphill speed, and may not give a lot of extra speed on flat roads. But the gizmo will allow power to continue to be applied going downhill, so it can increase downhill speeds, perhaps substantially. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

You'll probably spin out before achieving much over 30 mph. Most of those bikes it works on only have a single chainring and an 11 tooth cog and thus, not much of a top end gear. I suppose you can soft pedal but since the power to overcome air friction increases as the cube of the velocity, I doubt you'll be going much faster.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Given the limited power of most e-bikes, this gizmo won't increase uphill speed, and may not give a lot of extra speed on flat roads. But the gizmo will allow power to continue to be applied going downhill, so it can increase downhill speeds, perhaps substantially. I'm not sure that's a good thing.
This thing doesn't increase power from the motor, it just raises the speed limit. The motor thinks it's seeing a lower speed. The real limit is your gearing, don't forget these are pedal assist e-bikes, you have to keep pedaling if you want to go faster.

This isn't the only "hack" for raising the speed of your pedal assist e-bike, checkout BLevo (an app that will hack first gen. Levos) and the Levociraptor (a plug-in inline device to hack the speed limit)

edit: looks like Mike D just beat me to this post
Old 01-19-2021, 04:23 PM
cmg

then someone will come up with multiple planet gears that will fool the speed sensor to go even faster and then........crashes start occurring and lawsuits start to pile on................ call the 4s (local lawsuit chaser).
Old 01-19-2021, 04:54 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
I find it odd that you can go out and buy a car with 700+HP and will do 350km/hr+ yet they put governors on ebikes so they won't exceed 28m/h??
I think this bike has assist locked out at 20mph. You can still go as fast as you can pedal. 28mph is a class III ebike.

You can go as fast as you want on an ebike if you meet the requirements for motorcycle registration. It's just that ebikes don't require that. That's a big advantage. I don't see anything wrong with it.

And I'm the one that always says cars should be limited to 28mph like a class III ebike
Old 01-19-2021, 05:15 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Why don't they put limiters on all street vehicles? Why can anyone buy a 800hp street car, or a RV? Or rent a trailer with no towing experience?

None of the arguments presented are logical. Personal observations don't count for much, because I see ebike users regularly and they are neither out of control or irresponsible.

I know it hurts the ego of some when someone passes you on a ebike but that's life.
People make the same arguments about road cyclists and mtbikers. Too fast, out of control, dangerous.

If they made everything illegal for any reason mentioned, the first thing to be banned would be clipless pedals.

ebikes are great, massive sellers too. Hope more people get on them.
You can modify as much as you want, just like anything else. Thank god for that too.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:21 PM

Clever but looks finicky and prone to being un-seated and fowled with junk.

I bet that guy is a laugh a minute to work with.

"Turn your bike upside down and put it on a Persian rug or a dead animal".
Old 01-19-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
You can modify as much as you want, just like anything else. Thank god for that too.
Well, not legally -
If you were to modify an e-bike such that it changed its classification to require registration as a motorcycle, then would need to register it for it to be legal to operate, have a operating license to ride it on public roads, and in many jurisdictions, take a riding safety course to obtain that license.

Yes, you're right, not illegal for an inexperience driver in the US to have a 800 hp car or 1000cc sport bike. That isn't true everywhere in the world. Is your argument that is what makes America great?
Or is your argument that every stupid thing that a person can do isn't illegal, therefore nothing should be?
Old 01-19-2021, 05:52 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Luggs View Post
Well, not legally -
If you were to modify an e-bike such that it changed its classification to require registration as a motorcycle, then would need to register it for it to be legal to operate, have a operating license to ride it on public roads, and in many jurisdictions, take a riding safety course to obtain that license.
You just described a legal hypothetical.

Also, your understanding of the law is not accurate in California. They are different for every state though.

Quote:
Yes, you're right, not illegal for an inexperience driver in the US to have a 800 hp car or 1000cc sport bike. That isn't true everywhere in the world. Is your argument that is what makes America great?
Or is your argument that every stupid thing that a person can do isn't illegal, therefore nothing should be?
It's not my argument.

It's the arguments stated against ebikes. We already have laws and precedent for all of them.
Though cyclists love to rally against their own interests, that much is consistent.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
You'll probably spin out before achieving much over 30 mph. Most of those bikes it works on only have a single chainring and an 11 tooth cog and thus, not much of a top end gear. I suppose you can soft pedal but since the power to overcome air friction increases as the cube of the velocity, I doubt you'll be going much faster.
The bike in the video is a Specialized Turbo Creo. It has 46/11 gearing, and is a Class 3 E-bike, so its assist is normally limited to 28 mph, although with the Gizmo you'll still get assist at higher speeds. The motor is rated at 240 Watts.

"Spun out" means different things to different people, although it seems like people can't spin as fast as they used to in years past. Pedaling this bike at 100 rpm in top gear would yield 33 mph. A lot of people might say that 100 rpm is "spun out", but I can easily spin much faster (heck, I can spin backwards at 100 rpm). For me, spun out is more like 130-140 rpm, which would be a speed of 43 - 46 mph. With 240 Watts extra power, it wouldn't take much of a downhill for me to reach speeds in the mid-40s.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
I find it odd that you can go out and buy a car with 700+HP and will do 350km/hr+ yet they put governors on ebikes so they won't exceed 28m/h??
Yeah, me too. It also amazes how frightened people are of themselves. It's all in how YOU control your right wrist.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:11 PM
DELETE ACCNT

that bike makes my pants tight
Old 01-19-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
The bike in the video is a Specialized Turbo Creo. It has 46/11 gearing, and is a Class 3 E-bike, so its assist is normally limited to 28 mph, although with the Gizmo you'll still get assist at higher speeds. The motor is rated at 240 Watts.

"Spun out" means different things to different people, although it seems like people can't spin as fast as they used to in years past. Pedaling this bike at 100 rpm in top gear would yield 33 mph. A lot of people might say that 100 rpm is "spun out", but I can easily spin much faster (heck, I can spin backwards at 100 rpm). For me, spun out is more like 130-140 rpm, which would be a speed of 43 - 46 mph. With 240 Watts extra power, it wouldn't take much of a downhill for me to reach speeds in the mid-40s.

This is largely an acedemic exercise, but the last thing I'd want to do when going that fast downhill is spin that wildly throwing the whole bike out of balance, not that I think I could sustain that cadence for long.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
This is largely an acedemic exercise, but the last thing I'd want to do when going that fast downhill is spin that wildly throwing the whole bike out of balance, not that I think I could sustain that cadence for long.
As I said, "spun out" is different for different people. I'm comfortable pedaling at 100+ rpm (at power) for longish periods of time (when racing crits I'm typically around 105 rpm), and even faster for shorter periods. For example, at my club's gear limited roller races, I hold about 150 rpm average for a bit under 3 minutes, while balanced on 15" wide rollers (roller speed about 42 mph). For shorter distance roller races, I'll do about 170 rpm for about 40 seconds (roller speed over 50 mph). The other guys in the club do similar speeds. So the idea of pedaling an e-bike downhill at 40+ mph didn't seem so odd to me.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
As I said, "spun out" is different for different people. I'm comfortable pedaling at 100+ rpm (at power) for longish periods of time (when racing crits I'm typically around 105 rpm), and even faster for shorter periods. For example, at my club's gear limited roller races, I hold about 150 rpm average for a bit under 3 minutes, while balanced on 15" wide rollers (roller speed about 42 mph). For shorter distance roller races, I'll do about 170 rpm for about 40 seconds (roller speed over 50 mph). The other guys in the club do similar speeds. So the idea of pedaling an e-bike downhill at 40+ mph didn't seem so odd to me.
That's pretty impressive. Can you post a video of you doing that?
Old 01-20-2021, 05:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That is quite clever. So if I understand it, all it is doing is tricking the speed sensor right?

That guy really knows how to do a good video too. Not only entertaining but very detailed including what mistakes you might make and so on. It's refreshing to see after how many bad DIY videos there are out there.
Agree but after a few 'f' bombs, I thought it might be hambini but he didn't insult any women so it couldn't be him....